Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is brazed on and after scouring the internets for a similar stud I got nothing.

Is it from another model year or is it a previous owner add on. I'm leaning towards the latter but I just don't know.

Brazed instead of welded sounds like it was added a very long time ago. I've known her for 25 years and it's the same battery box she's had since I've known her.

Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought him back. :wink2:

I took butt tons of pictures before I removed the loom and there is no direct picture of this stud having anything on it. I may have forgotten to take a picture of it but the other pics of the general area show no signs of any wires other than the rectifier.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My '67 has that. The left side panel is held on by three screws, two on top and one on the bottom. The latter comes off a bracket attached to the frame near the chainguard. This was changed a year or two later to one that was rubber mounted. It was pushed onto pegs welded on the frame. I assume that was to address vibration-related fracturing, since the "tabs" on the side panel were kind of weak. Also, the screws require some contortion to put in place.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, the screws require some contortion to put in place.
I would imagine! My banana fingers have a LOT of fun with those impossible set ups!

I am currently contorting to try to get the crankcase breather hose reinstalled on the bottom of the motor.

The ole one was hard as a rock and simply fell off when I was pulling her apart.

A swift kick in the pants for the genius that put the breather stud there! :frown2:

I appreciate everyones help.

Ole Doris is a Bitsa for sure. At least MOST of her parts are Bitsa 1969 bikes! :grin2:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dunk the tip of the new rubber tube in boiling water

shake it

shove it on
Dave I actually had to grind a flat on one side of the hose to clear the case. Once I did that it popped right on!

Original hose is thin wall and the braided PVC I am using is not so a little off the side and a little garbageman spit and my crankcase is breathing again!

>:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts