Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv read about lots of folks on here running the Daytona as a track bike. I'd like to set up my 02 DSSA for occasional track day, but primarily street riding. What are some of y'all's preferred set ups? Is it best to just skip ahead to a Gsxr front end swap?

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I have a nitron track rear track shock, racetech springs and gold valve kit and could not be happier. I am in the Intermediate group and am limited by myself so far not the bike...
I took all foam out of seat and replaced it with race pad and covered with original, LI battery to lighten her up a bit(it makes a difference) plus some other stuff. If you want more let me know

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just ride it as it is, thats what i did, have some fun and if you really find something lacking tackle it.
I am an inter/advanced and to be honest unless you are a racer its going to be hard to find the bike performance lacking.
I saw 145 down the back straight at Bedford autodrome last week. We were as fast round the corners as most others in the advanced group.
The front has a good feel, the back end is a little harsh, but the pilot road 4 tyres were brilliant.
Have fun thats the key.
Dave
PS mines an 02 dssa.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nick, thanks for the tips. Did you go with the stock weight fork oil? For the shock, double or triple adjustable? Gearing? I ran EBC HH brake pads on my Speed Triple and they did great. What are you using? Any info would be much appreciated.

Silver, I'm not looking to mod the bike and spend money for no reason. What I'm after is a set up that will be as forgiving as possible and won't wear me out riding it. I had a 02 Speedy, with clip-ons that I did 10 or 12 track days on. It was a blast, but it was like wrestling a bear at times. It also took me a while to learn how to ride it. Shortening the learning curve and going strait to having fun is also a goal for this bike.
Are you running a 180 or a 190 rear? Fork height? Will the 17 front sprocket rub the swingarm slider down pretty quick? Still running the stock fairings and tail section?
Have any photos? I'd love to see an action shot of the bike.
I would say my old Speedy was capable enough to out run lots of faster bikes and had me dragging knee on my first track day. It absolutely loved trail braking. And riding it Point and Shoot worked like a charm for an easy inside pass. Dragging the pegs was a little unsettling though.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I went to a shop that specializes in track bikes and suspension, I let them do their magic they weighed me with gear, the shock is the triple adjustable one it is called the Nitron track shock, fork springs are .95 racetech, ebc rotors Vtech with HH sintered pads, I went down one tooth on front sprocket, tuneboy MM3 tune with modified airbox(removed scoops 138 rwhp on dyno), I put a 190/55 rear tire turns much faster, replaced head bearings with all balls as well as front wheel bearings, I have not had an issue with chain guard as I think the suspension is set right (travel), skykings ohlins steering damper.
I was not liking the bikes stock suspension, It felt like a soft mush and I was unable to get settings correct for my weight. I use Michelin supersport power cup evos. I don't think I wasted money as my safety is first especially at the track where you are pushing it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My front was a 19. That mean you went to a 18? The rear sprocket?
Changed the rearsets?

You might try porting the throttle body. I did that on my Speedy and you could feel the difference in the seat of your pants. It little and a lower seating position by replacing the fuel tank was good for 12 mph at a standing mile event.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Stock rear sets so far. Dragged left toe slider first time last track day ? So it's coming, I also bought vortex clip ons to make BP easier to achieve but have not installed yet.

Where are you from? I don't think I'll do much more, engine reliability is fantastic... I want to keep it that way.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Nick, thanks for the tips. Did you go with the stock weight fork oil? For the shock, double or triple adjustable? Gearing? I ran EBC HH brake pads on my Speed Triple and they did great. What are you using? Any info would be much appreciated.

Silver, I'm not looking to mod the bike and spend money for no reason. What I'm after is a set up that will be as forgiving as possible and won't wear me out riding it. I had a 02 Speedy, with clip-ons that I did 10 or 12 track days on. It was a blast, but it was like wrestling a bear at times. It also took me a while to learn how to ride it. Shortening the learning curve and going strait to having fun is also a goal for this bike.
Are you running a 180 or a 190 rear? Fork height? Will the 17 front sprocket rub the swingarm slider down pretty quick? Still running the stock fairings and tail section?
Have any photos? I'd love to see an action shot of the bike.
I would say my old Speedy was capable enough to out run lots of faster bikes and had me dragging knee on my first track day. It absolutely loved trail braking. And riding it Point and Shoot worked like a charm for an easy inside pass. Dragging the pegs was a little unsettling though.
I placed some pictures on my profile , here is one

·
Registered
80 Posts
My front was a 19. That mean you went to a 18? The rear sprocket?
The DSSA has the 19 stock front, the SSSA has the 18 stock. I also went down a tooth in the front and up 4 in the back to 46. Bike tops out in the 130's, but for the smaller track I run on, it works perfect for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went to a shop that specializes in track bikes and suspension, I let them do their magic they weighed me with gear, the shock is the triple adjustable one it is called the Nitron track shock, fork springs are .95 racetech, ebc rotors Vtech with HH sintered pads, I went down one tooth on front sprocket, tuneboy MM3 tune with modified airbox(removed scoops 138 rwhp on dyno), I put a 190/55 rear tire turns much faster, replaced head bearings with all balls as well as front wheel bearings, I have not had an issue with chain guard as I think the suspension is set right (travel), skykings ohlins steering damper.
I was not liking the bikes stock suspension, It felt like a soft mush and I was unable to get settings correct for my weight. I use Michelin supersport power cup evos. I don't think I wasted money as my safety is first especially at the track where you are pushing it.
138 is impressive.....I only got 128. Was disappointed, thought it would be higher like yours...... Still a handful for me in the twisty portions of the track with my gearing though.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
138 is impressive.....I only got 128. Was disappointed, thought it would be higher like yours...... Still a handful for me in the twisty portions of the track with my gearing though.
Did you remove air scoops? that made a big difference with the MM3 tune

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I removed my snorkels as well. I wish I could rig-up some sort of ram air though.

I'll try an 18/46 combo. I already have the 46 from a 04 GSXR 750 a friend and I track day.

If your dragging your pegs/toes, some peg risers are easy to make out of plate steel or aluminum. Make a cardboard template and then just transfer to your material. They fixed the dragging issue on my Speedy. The main fight with the riser plates is repositioning the brake line. You have to clock the line. And whoever put those damn things on at the factory torques the hell out of them. Even a line wrench rounds the banjo bolt. Just use a sharp pair of vice grips the first time you move it.

I'm from Texas. DFW, to be exact.

Cool video Nick. Here is my bikes current state.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did you remove air scoops? that made a big difference with the MM3 tune
I did remove them, but just recently. Did not have them off when I took it to the dyno last year. My exhaust was made locally and sold world wide by a Triumph dealer. He has 8 different tunes for the exhaust and at the time it was installed he told me it had the best tune for the street.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I did remove them, but just recently. Did not have them off when I took it to the dyno last year. My exhaust was made locally and sold world wide by a Triumph dealer. He has 8 different tunes for the exhaust and at the time it was installed he told me it had the best tune for the street.
Really nice bikes! That exhaust has nice lines too

1 - 20 of 24 Posts