Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks,

New to me 2010 T-Bird 1600...about 15.5K miles on it. This problem is kind of hard to describe but I'll try...

The last few weeks when I start it, sometimes it will turn a few revs but before it actually starts, it sounds/feels like it comes to a hard stop. I release the start button, press it again and it starts normally and runs fine thereafter. It doesn't happen every time but in the past three or so weeks it's happened several times.

I bought the bike about two months ago from a friend when it had about 13.5K miles. He doesn't remember that ever happening to him.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Not that thats not a possibility, but i have yet to see anyone with that issue say they noticed starting issues. They all seem to suggest nothing changed and they only found out they had that issue when the bike ws opened to do valve adjustment. I have a 2010 with the BB kit, but for the first year mine was a stock 1600 and i had a starting issue that many at the time had. It was due to the stock 1600 map and to a man everyone who had that issue, and there were many, cured it 100% by loading the tors map. Even if you don't have tors it not only fixes the issue but the bike just run better with it. Seems the stock 1600 map for standard pipes is funky. The key thing to note is when it has the hard time starting. If it only happens when cold it may not be this issue. If it happens when the bike is already hot like if you stop to go in a store or such and come back out in a few minutes and have a hard time starting it, then thats likely your issue. If so you only need to load the tors tune for your bike. You can do that with the free app "tuneecu" that u can get at tuneecu.com, tho u will need a cable you can get on ebay for about $10-20. Or your dealer can do it tho no idea what they will charge. It's worth doing anyways even if that's not the issue because like i said the bike just runs better on that tune, tors pipes or not.

Another thing u can try is the 12 minute tune that will allow the bike to re adapt and possibly remove some value the bike adapted to that could have causing this. It works as follows....start the bike w/o touching the throttle and let it idle. Keep an eye on the fan and it will likely take about 20 minutes but eventually the fan will come on. Set a timer and let it continue idling for 12 minutes after the fan came on the turn it off. If neither that nor the tors map doesn't help then i'd start worrying about the decompression weights. When mine was newer for probably the first 20-30,000 miles i had several starting issues but once past those initial miles it;s never had any issues since.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not that thats not a possibility, but i have yet to see anyone with that issue say they noticed starting issues. They all seem to suggest nothing changed and they only found out they had that issue when the bike ws opened to do valve adjustment. I have a 2010 with the BB kit, but for the first year mine was a stock 1600 and i had a starting issue that many at the time had. It was due to the stock 1600 map and to a man everyone who had that issue, and there were many, cured it 100% by loading the tors map. Even if you don't have tors it not only fixes the issue but the bike just run better with it. Seems the stock 1600 map for standard pipes is funky. The key thing to note is when it has the hard time starting. If it only happens when cold it may not be this issue. If it happens when the bike is already hot like if you stop to go in a store or such and come back out in a few minutes and have a hard time starting it, then thats likely your issue. If so you only need to load the tors tune for your bike. You can do that with the free app "tuneecu" that u can get at tuneecu.com, tho u will need a cable you can get on ebay for about $10-20. Or your dealer can do it tho no idea what they will charge. It's worth doing anyways even if that's not the issue because like i said the bike just runs better on that tune, tors pipes or not.

Another thing u can try is the 12 minute tune that will allow the bike to re adapt and possibly remove some value the bike adapted to that could have causing this. It works as follows....start the bike w/o touching the throttle and let it idle. Keep an eye on the fan and it will likely take about 20 minutes but eventually the fan will come on. Set a timer and let it continue idling for 12 minutes after the fan came on the turn it off. If neither that nor the tors map doesn't help then i'd start worrying about the decompression weights. When mine was newer for probably the first 20-30,000 miles i had several starting issues but once past those initial miles it;s never had any issues since.

Thanks TorqueBird...I will do this tonight. I'm planning on a 6 hour trip tomorrow so this will show if this may be the problem. I was hoping to put off opening up the top end until riding season is over. I also want to get the ECU/OBD cable that you were referring to and have been looking at a couple. I'm open to suggestions if you have a favorite cable.

Thanks again for the tip. I'll let you know how it works for me...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Can't really help with the cable, as it's 9+ years since i got mine and i don't remember anything about it. But there should be info at tuneecu.com, at least there was.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I did the 12 minute tuning thing last night and just got back from a 7 hour ride. I didn't experience any of the starting issues this time and I stopped and started the bike about 6-8 times throughout the duration of the ride. It started smoothly each time. The thing that seems to have made the biggest difference is the way the old girl runs.

I was on several roads that were hilly and windy, lots of up/down shifting, plus some in traffic stop/go stuff as well as freeway speed stuff and the bike ran better than it has since I bought it about two and a half months ago. It seems to run smoother when accelerating and at cruising speed and not as jerky when running in lower gears at lower speeds.

Hopefully this will be the end of the issue I was having with starting, etc.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ok, I did the 12 minute tuning thing last night and just got back from a 7 hour ride. I didn't experience any of the starting issues this time and I stopped and started the bike about 6-8 times throughout the duration of the ride. It started smoothly each time. The thing that seems to have made the biggest difference is the way the old girl runs.

I was on several roads that were hilly and windy, lots of up/down shifting, plus some in traffic stop/go stuff as well as freeway speed stuff and the bike ran better than it has since I bought it about two and a half months ago. It seems to run smoother when accelerating and at cruising speed and not as jerky when running in lower gears at lower speeds.

Hopefully this will be the end of the issue I was having with starting, etc.
That's great ! Hope it keeps working properly. And 7 hours is a lot. I do that every summer to my sisters. Almost exactly 7 hours each way. That'll test your health and stamina more then the bike's. :smile2: I just got back from that ride a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
664 Posts
What about your battery? You could probably have it tested for free at your local auto parts store.
I was also thinking along those lines or get your own Battery Tender Voltage Tester. Was also thinking of running a good Fuel/Carbon Cleaner through the tank. Hopefully the issue resolved itself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What about your battery? You could probably have it tested for free at your local auto parts store.
I was also thinking along those lines or get your own Battery Tender Voltage Tester. Was also thinking of running a good Fuel/Carbon Cleaner through the tank. Hopefully the issue resolved itself.
The battery was one of the first things I thought of. I have a battery voltage monitor on the bike and charging voltage is around 14.2 volts. Resting voltage is about 12.8 volts with key on but not running the starter. The battery is about a year old. I'm guessing the battery is fine.

By Fuel/Carbon Cleaner, I'm assuming you mean something like Sea Foam? I have a can in my garage...I'll dump some in the gas tank tomorrow.

EDIT: Sea Foam question answered via PM...Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts