Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I know these types of questions are tough to answer but if anyone can point me in the right direction it's here on the Forum:

1969 TR6 Trophy 650; Serious work done 10 years ago including pistons, rings, cams, bearings, gears, carb, Boyer, and more; I got the bike in April 2011 with 3,800 miles on this work-now it has 5,100; She flies, starts well, idles well.

Last two weeks as she warms up I hear a very clear tick-tick-tick (tied to engine speeed of course) coming from the top end and it seems to be the same sound equally loud from the left and right sides. Easy to hear even with a helmet. It's not screaming loud of course but considering it made no such sound at all in the 7 months I've owned it I need to know what it might be.

I did re-set the valves twice and checked head torque too after this started. Nothing out of the ordinary found doing this.

Back in High School (1972-ish) when we heard this sound in auto shop class I recall it being attributed to tappets.

Any ideas appeciated.

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
Hi All,
Last two weeks as she warms up I hear a very clear tick-tick-tick (tied to engine speeed of course) coming from the top end and it seems to be the same sound equally loud from the left and right sides.
Was there a drop in temperature in NH in the last 2 weeks? If you have a thick oil, it will get thicker when it is cold out. Thick oil may be preventing oil getting to your rockers until warmed up. Tappets will make more noise if they are starved of oil.

If so, worth it to try a lighter viscosity of oil for colder months. I may be able to ride into December this year if the ice and snow hold off. If so I will probably go with 10w30 because I have only a short ride to work and temps will be below 0 degrees Celsius.

(this may have nothing to do with your problem but worth thinking about. Good luck)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ticking sound

Here in New Hampshire temps have been mild by any measure; Mon-Tues-Wed last week it hit nearly 70 3 days in a row; Your idea about oil is right on the money however while certainly cooler (40's-50's-60's) last few weeks the bike still makes the sound while she is hot-from the time it starts to tick at idle after starting and 10 miles down the road and on.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Hi All,

Last two weeks as she warms up I hear a very clear tick-tick-tick (tied to engine speeed of course) coming from the top end and it seems to be the same sound equally loud from the left and right sides. Easy to hear even with a helmet. It's not screaming loud of course but considering it made no such sound at all in the 7 months I've owned it I need to know what it might be.

I did re-set the valves twice and checked head torque too after this started. Nothing out of the ordinary found doing this.
There is a simple method to confirm/deny tappets. With the covers off, and the motor idling over, grip each tappet adjuster between the fingers. If the noise is reduced, then look at your clearance settings.

If this does not help, it can be hard to say what it may be from a distance. Noise travels as you may know and so a noise from cam follower may sound like a tappet and vice versa.

Some owners with keen hearing will use a piece of hose or conduit as a stethoscope to isolate noises. This can be a very hand method to pin down a single noise from many. RR

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
If you find by the above method that it is tappet noise, and you are measuring your clearance with feeler gages, you may have a wear spot in the middle of your valve tip. Use the method of backing off the intake till you can feel it move and contact the valve tip, and the exhaust should feel movement , then back off one more flat of the adjuster. If you have a dent in your valve tip, this will return the clearance to spec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts