Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of Oberon foot pegs and have been fiddling with them in my dining room, noticed that the included 16mm M6 screw that attaches the peg to the adapter leaves 7mm of unused thread in the adapter.

After I add a lockwasher, I could use a 25mm long screw and get just past the open end of the threaded hole in the adapter by 1 or 2mm.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that it's a bad idea to use less than the maximum-length screw in an application like this? When I stand on the pegs, each is holding 90 pounds, and I'd like to know that the one screw that is holding it is threaded in as far as it can possibly be.

I'm planning to use a 22 or 25mm screw, a lockwasher, and loctite to ensure maximum strength and lowest possibility of it coming apart.

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll answer myself and report that I found some 20mm M6 screws that go through more of the Oberon adapter than the supplied 16mm screws, and that makes me feel better. 25mm is too long, projects out about 2mm and would interfere with the spring.

The lockwasher won't fit in the hole in the peg, so it'll be the 20mm screws and some Loctite.

·
30,593 Posts
Sounds good. For what it's worth I like your approach of using as much thread as possible. Makes sense to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts