Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So harbor freight has this for sale: CAN OBD II BY: CEN-TECH for 99.99 US sale price. (what is the "CAN")
SOHERES THE SKINNY- I Was concerned about THAT tool icon that's gonna come up sooner or later on my dash... Don't want to have to go to the dealer seeing as I plan on doing the maintainance myself SINCE so many have been helpful here - Big shout out of thanks right now! to various posters of threads with pcs that both describe and show maintenance items. I plan on using Diesel Geek's (THANKS!) valve adjustment guide for my 12k service. BUT THERES then that service icon which comes up as an issue..
In previous post I was assured I CAN avoid the dealer if I got an OBD II device to reset my ECU w/o going to the dealer.

Which brings us to this sale item:
- I've found this one and was wondering is it the best suited one? Or is it a general all purpose one that may lack some features I will need
-I have time- maybe 6-12 mos before the 12k service so its no rush but this is supposed to be a good price (I think) for this unit.
- as for the rest of the equip needed: I heard That some things are needed to reset fuel ratios at various rpms (engine mapping?) I think I have some lean spots. So I plan to utilize the free tune-ECU that's downloadable to an Android phone.... - well, I now just bought the Android "smart" phone ..
So I'm part way there..

- But I would hate to buy this CAN OBD II device and find out there is still some thing that can pop upon my dash which requires the dealer to turn off...
Thanks if anyone can advise me-!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 .any triumph dealer tool? I would've assume they are proprietary.
2."Cable" means...? is there a practical use for the OBD II if one does own the dealer tool? Do I Need both?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Sorry I thought it was just a cable and not a whole contraption (I was on my phone and didn't check the HF site). I do not believe this will do what you are looking for though. It will read codes and some engine parameters. but you can do that with TuneECU and a cable from here.

http://www.lonelec.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=32

The dealer tool I was referring to is this. I was on my phone at the time so didn't add the link, but here it is:

http://dealertoolcouk.ipage.com/

The dealer tool above is what you need if you want the wrench gone, or make friends with a tech at the dealer and maybe they can do it for you. I do all my own maintenance as well except tire changes and inspection and I just ignore it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks djn876

Thanks for the link!
So the current dealer tool is all I need for periodic maintenance intervals?
I wonder what brain the 2012 r has Keihin or sagen? I noticed the manufacturer archived the features added to their product over time.should I wait till time of actual need to purchase or would you think this tool is complete enough. I mean what else does it need to do that it doesn't do now? If that is the correct assessment.. If you know.. thanks.. dan

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Only the early s3 had the sagem ecu, all the newer models have the keihin ecu.

Not sure about when to purchase but I can't imagine there are significant changes that routinely.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Noob here.... been reading on these OBD, owner of 2012 T100, are all these OBD purchase for view only? ask my bro in law whom has OBD for workshop and according to him, without the software, one is unable to make tuning, or basically he says need to remap if to make tuning? If there are available in the market for such OBD with tuning, any recommendation for a competitive price unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts