Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone here has all their paperwork and insurance in order, but just in case you don't want the inconvenience of a checkpoint, I just read on another forum that NYPD is doing a motorcycle/scooter checkpoint at the 96th street entrance/exit to the FDR.

The Puerto Rican Day celebrations in East Harlem are no doubt the catalyst for this crackdown today.

Ride safe everyone!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I've been caught up in some of those in the past and always coinciding with that weekend of that parade. You think there might be a little profiling going on?

In those so called "safety checkpoints" I've been treated as if I was guilty until proven innocent or treated very apologetically by the officers assigned to the task. Polar extremes.

It is interesting that they spin it as a safety check. They are not at all concerned with rider safety, but instead concerned with taking as many bikes off the road as possible to keep the general population safe from the riding population. Until I made that realization I thought they might actually be a little interested in insuring my well being as a motorcyclist instead of protecting people from the likes of me.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
For these checkpoints to be Constitutional they must be for the good of "public safety"

That's how they get away with these and DUI checkpoints.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
So they will arbitrarily harass motorcyclists, but they don't even properly investigate or prosecute an unlicensed, drunk car driver that killed a woman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/nyregion/police-unit-draws-scrutiny-for-its-handling-of-crashes-involving-pedestrians.html?_r=2&ref=nyregion

The priorities nyc law enforcement and government are out of whack, to say the least.
They take the position that as long as they stop EVERY motorcycle that comes thru and subject EVERY operator to the same level of scrutiny then they are not deemed as being arbitrary. Everybody gets the same treatment. Always have your paperwork with you and a DOT helmet or you will not ride away.

Three years ago under the 59th Street Bridge I had to remove the reflective tape from the back of helmet to expose the DOT endorsement. My girlfriend got scolded because her insurance was going to expire in 6 months time and somehow that was a problem for one officer. Across the street was a flatbed truck filled with sportbikes that had been impounded. We were allowed to leave and with a wink and a nod my officer told me that if we got pulled into another checkpoint today to just say we had already been through his. Delightful....

I believe the AMA was working very hard towards, and I thought had succeeded in, ceasing the practice of motorcycle only checkpoints in NY State.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
They take the position that as long as they stop EVERY motorcycle that comes thru and subject EVERY operator to the same level of scrutiny then they are not deemed as being arbitrary. Everybody gets the same treatment. Always have your paperwork with you and a DOT helmet or you will not ride away.

what I meant by arbitrary was that motorcycles instead of cars were singled out. Cars certainly cause the most non-operator injuries and fatalities, yet bikes are seen as the enemy

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
In quite a few NYC neighborhoods you have a lot of youngsters running dirt bikes in cavalier fashion who do not have any legal papers. This is a big problem that has forced the NYPD to take action. Unfortunately we all suffer for those few fools.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah yes...those dirt bikes...I always know the spring is here when I hear the buzz of the first pack each year. Unfortunately seeing them pulled over is few and far between.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Ah yes...those dirt bikes...I always know the spring is here when I hear the buzz of the first pack each year. Unfortunately seeing them pulled over is few and far between.
It is a high NYPD priority. High speed chases in NYC are not an option in a crowded city.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Cool!

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a checkpoint, but via another local forum there is supposedly a NYPD towing crackdown happening on September 12. A tow truck driver told a rider that they will be targeting scooters (and probably motos too) in the city.

Be careful out there.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
A fine source of donated organs...just thinking about having someone walk or pull out of a side street would keep me from riding like that..no desire to end up on a coroner's slab. As a friend says, Dumb, young and obnoxious (or stupid, depending on his mood).

Derswede

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old post, but that video was hilarious :)

No plates, no helmets, obviously no insurance on potentially stolen bikes, no law, no order just pre-apocalyptic dirt bike gangs running wild with the police powerless against them...

I see these retards up and down 3rd ave all the time, to the delight of the local populace, maybe the lovely mayor can ban all dirt bikes.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually saw a boat load of cops swarm outside my building to stop a dirtbiker. They managed to grab the dirt bike but the rider ditched and ran off. They stuffed the bike into the trunk of the patrol car (with 2/3 stickout and leaking gas the while time) and took it away.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The Madness Continues

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/21790027/driver-of-illegal-motorcycle-fights-charges-sues-nypd#ixzz2OxQJUzvL

NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -
A 77-year-old man is recovering from a broken leg and other injuries. Police said he was struck on Boston Road Sunday evening by a speeding dirt bike. Cops said it was part of a pack of more than 30 illegally operated motorcycles.

This isn't the only case getting attention.

Video taken near Randall Avenue in Hunts Point in August 2012 was given to Fox 5 by an attorney for an injured dirt bike rider who is now suing the police department for millions of dollars.

You see the unlicensed motorcycle, driven without a helmet by Eddie Fernandez, 28, apparently in a cat-and-mouse game with a police patrol car.

Then you see his friend, Adalberto Gonzalez, running up to the bike and jumping on the back as they try to get away.

But that's not the end of it. In another view you can see the police car chasing the dirt bike and accidentally ramming into it.

But to Gonzalez, it was no accident. His friend died from his injuries. Gonzalez, who recently underwent surgery on his foot, was charged with reckless endangerment, resisting arrest and reckless driving.

For those people who live in communities where the unlicensed motorcycles and their illegal operation has taken over, like the Boston Post area where the 77-year-old man was hit this weekend, the swarming, buzzing bikes are considered a dangerous nuisance.

With his best friend gone, Gonzalez is now defending himself against the criminal charges brought against him. He is determined to fight the charges and slap the NYPD with a hefty lawsuit.

His attorney is outraged.

"I'm having difficulty finding any reason for why this case should be going to trial," said Cesar Gonzalez.

The Bronx District attorney declined to prosecute the police officer who was behind the wheel.

Gonzalez will go back before a judge on Thursday as the criminal case against him moves forward.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Uptown
Harlem dirt bikers look to build motorcycle park
Death of a rider, plus ongoing conflict with residents and police, prompt search. Riding dirt bikes is illegal, by the way.

By Amber Goodfellow AND Stephanie Lacy / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 4:59 PM

Dirt bikers Benmore (left) and Al Capon are working with anti-violence activist Iesha Sekou to create a motorcycle park.

Harlem dirt bikers are banding together to come up with a legal, safe way to get bikes out of danger — and themselves out of hot water.

Forming a group called Bikelife, dirt bikers known by the street names Al Capone and Benmore, have joined with anti-violence activist Iesha Sekou to plea for a motorbike Mecca where bikers can safely ride.

The move gained traction after dirt biker Eddie Fernandez, 28, was hit and killed a year ago while being chased by police for riding his off-road machine on the street, which is illegal.

“Eddie Fernandez was not the first guy to die on a bike being chased by a police officer,” Benmore said. “After Eddie being killed, after the others, we need to do something that's going to save our lives.”

The goal of Bikelife is to keep other riders from breaking the law or suffering Fernandez’ fate.

“We know we’re not dealing with angels on bikes,” Sekou said. “We want them to be safe. That’s our mission.”

Harlem bikers use to ride on Randalls Island, and other locations where their illegal activities rarely attracted scrutiny. But eventually the law caught up with them, sending dirt bikers into the streets.

Dirt bikes are illegal on the streets because they lack necessarily road equipment, such as headlights, license plates, and turn signals, state motor vehicle officials said.

For years, residents and the police have been frustrated by the illegal bikers — especially when they race away from the cops who are trying to apprehend them.

"The dirt bikes are a wheelie away from a very tragic situation,” said Councilwoman Inez Dickens (D-Harlem). “But with inadequate resources and a ‘no-chase’ policy, the NYPD is confronted with an intractable situation."

Bikelife member Al Capone knows there will be many challenges to find funding and locations, but the group is believe to be looking in out-of-the-way areas, such as near Kennedy Airport.

“There are a lot of desolate landscapes that are doing nothing,” Al Capone said. “And even if we could find a temporary solution bikers will commute. Especially if we offer them a safe environment to ride in.”

Bikelife has made t-shirts and fliers to help gain support, and established riding rules for the bikers such as not riding on the sidewalks. Such rules, alas, are not always followed.

Sekou and Bikelife hope a park will provide an opportunity to educate as well as ease tensions in the community.

“The bikers have taken on the initiative of doing a positive campaign to get bikers to follow rules, to not put illegal bikes on the streets, to not ride on the sidewalks, which is a major undertaking,” Sekou said. “I think it's wonderful when people can change a bad thing and help to make it better.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/uptown/dirt-bikers-seek-haven-article-1.1345051#ixzz2VHxjcTvf

A hopeless cause for several reasons.
1.) Real estate is a valuable commodity in NYC metropolitan area. How much space is needed and who is going to pay for it.
2.) What may be viewed as desolate space near Kennedy Airport is a wildlife sanctuary.
3.) You need equipment like pickup trucks to transport your dirt bike. Kids with no jobs no transport.
4.) Lack of political smarts will doom this effort. These kids have pissed off a lot of folks. See how Mountain Bikers organized to to build three legal trails in NYC.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts