Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm heading into a restoration of the first bike I ever owned a 1970 T100P purchased 23 years ago & used for 7 years as my only means of transport.

I had a bash at a restoration 10 years ago & got some of the frame parts etc. stove enameled & got the head done & put standard barrels & pistons on etc. It never really got any use after that attempt & now I want to do a proper job.

I want to replace all the frame & cycle nuts & bolts. Is there anybody out there doing complete sets? There are some non original bolts which a previous owner made fit which I'd like to replace with originals.

Ideally I'm looking for a supplier who has sets of nuts & bolts for most of the parts on the bike. i.e. Battery box/oil tank, engine mounting bolts, frame bolts, mudguard bolts, various other bits & bobs.

Thanks in advance.

Click

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.

I'm aware of many fastener suppliers, I was hoping somebody would supply a complete 'set' for my specific bike. I'm aware in Classic Car circles suppliers have packs of fasteners for particular models etc.

Failing this does anybody have a comprehensive list of fasteners required for a 1970 T100?

Once again thanks for the reply.

Click

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Hobbit,

Thanks for the advice, I'll update my profile now.

Many thanks for the link.

Click

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
It depends what you want to achieve.
I originally replaced every nut and bolt with stainless steel where I could the first time round. I have subsequently been advised to go original as that is what judges and knowledgeable restores will be looking at and that’s where some of the value is proven. That I have done it takes hours of research as all the nuts have different threads etc. What I would recommend is get all the nuts and bolts together and have them tin or cadmium plated, and then look at international suppliers for the ones you don’t have.

What I think is important is when you walk around someone else’s bike the same as yours at a show all the faults just stand out. Is this what you want to achieve?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

To be honest I'm just being lazy!!:) I just thought if a supplier already had all the fasteners I need in a kit it would save a lot of time.

I know some of the fasteners are quite specific, the ones that go into the mounting rubbers on the oil tank for instance.

Thanks for the input, now where did I put that parts catalogue!!

Click

It depends what you want to achieve.
I originally replaced every nut and bolt with stainless steel where I could the first time round. I have subsequently been advised to go original as that is what judges and knowledgeable restores will be looking at and that’s where some of the value is proven. That I have done it takes hours of research as all the nuts have different threads etc. What I would recommend is get all the nuts and bolts together and have them tin or cadmium plated, and then look at international suppliers for the ones you don’t have.

What I think is important is when you walk around someone else’s bike the same as yours at a show all the faults just stand out. Is this what you want to achieve?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts