Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the valuable feedback regarding stripping/prepping the frame. I have a related question, perhaps more in line with the ongoing threads regarding bolts or Taiwanese sourcing.

As I prepare to strip out the motor and remaining parts from my 70 Bonnie, virtually all the visible fasteners will need Cd replating, or replacement.

Has anyone used the Caswell faux Cd/Zn plating system? If so, any comments or caveats?

Would I be better off simply purchasing fresh nuts and bolts? If so, is there a recommended source? So far, I haven't really found anyone selling the necessary nuts and bolts. I have no qualms about Tawainese or any other sources for these items.

As noted in the "Bolts" thread, and in the service manual, Triumph was gradually changing over to UNF fasteners, so the machine seems to have a fair mixture of different fasteners. I'll need to be careful to keep track of what bolt went where when I buy replacements, and to recheck thread types carefully before reassembly.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Head markings

If you are a true purist, the head markings on the various fasteners are something you should be aware of. I suspect that many of the aftermarket fasteners you buy will not have the correct markings.

To keep track of your fasteners, I would suggest you make a copy of your parts book and as you disassemble the bike, write down the size of the fastener (Length, size, thread) and any head markings in the parts list. If you don't have a parts book yet, go get one. I would recommend Alan Fessler on ebay. He's a hardcore Triumph guy and gives you a printed and spiral bound hard copy along with a CD so you can print as many versions as you want. I keep his spiral bound copy in my office library and print looseleaf copies for the shop. If you need to take notes on a special area of the bike, you can always print out that page(s) and put your note right there. Same goes for his workshop manuals. Here's a link to his ebay store. http://stores.shop.ebay.com/British-Bikes-Plus__W0QQ_armrsZ1
He's the kind of guy who will call you about your bike. I PM'd him from ebay and we've since become casual friends over the phone. He's really passionate about his Triumphs.

There is also a link where you can view manual contents on-line. I think you can also save them to your hard drive but you cannot print them. I think you said your bike was a '64? There is a service manual there, but no part manual. http://classicbike.biz/Triumph/Triumph.htm

Others may suggest other platers, but if you decide to go with a commercial plating service, International Platers in RI does a lot of antique bike stuff. You'll have to give them your stuff for an estimate, but I've seen their work and it is top notch. They also do hexavalent chrome, which is the real thing, not decorative chrome which is what many other shops offer and is not that true blue chrome you expect to see on a bike. Here's a link to their contact info. I don't think they have a website. http://www.industrynet.com/info.asp?CID=248720. They do it all, cad, show chrome, nickle, etc.

regards,
Rob

·
Super Moderator
13,272 Posts
All three of my international distributors have all the original hardware you need.

As far as I know, NOBODY makes complete hardware sets, and there are very few component sets (such as timing cover screw set), that I've ever heard of. You simply must order by part number & quantity.

There is also a British Fastener company (google) with most of the common stuff.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
When asked the same question re replacing or replating bolts by a museum person my answer was to replate what you have that are in good condition. Repalcement bolts/ nuts are available however they will not have the correct markings.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'd also say re-plate any hardware that is correct and in good shape. Usually, the cost is by volume and would cost the same for 1 bolt or several pounds of stuff.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the several responses. Snakeoil, thanks for the website with the parts manuals. I ordered one today. I didn't even realize that parts manuals existed - I have the service manual. GrandPaulZ, the British Fastener place looks good, and is almost local, so I will be using them.

I am still curious about the Caswell system. However, I may just carefully organize the ones I want to replate, and just send them out to pro. It will probably be cheaper in the end, and will get done correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts