Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd much rather talk bikes, but ........
<BR>
<BR>Since I've been on this forum, I've received approx 60 PMs. I just checked them to pull up an address of a forum member who'd emailed me a few months ago, only to find that my InBox shows "0" messages.
<BR>
<BR>Is there some way I could have erased these messages (I didn't intend to), or is this a by-product of the Turko/Islam thing that hit the site earlier today?
<BR>
<BR>Could deleting cookies cause this?
<BR>
<BR>Or maybe too much good red vino on Sat nite?
<BR>
<BR>Bob

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2007-01-20 21:46 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Just checked and mine's empty too.
Must be a result of the hack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK Saddam, if you're out there forking around with my email, cut it out! ............... Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,086 Posts
Ditto. Just pretend its a year from now and you would be cleaning it out anyway.

Cold enough for you, Bob?

We really got spoiled there for a while, didn't we?

Monte :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Well, shoot! - had a lot of good correspondence in the 'ol pm - hope it's not gone for good - if so, it's another hard lesson learned - take anything important straight to email from now on, fergit the dang pm... as far
as the hackers, well... got-dandruff-and-some-of-it-itches, ferkin schmit-heds!!!

:mad:

D9
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,693 Posts
Oh no!! it's the Y2K+7 & 20day bug!!!! :-D

mines empty too!!

john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
ozbon,

don't panic, Shawn did it as a precaution:

Shawn
Webmaster
World SuperBike

Fayetteville, AR USA

Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Posted: 2007-01-20 22:40
As a precaution, I dumped the Private Message database.

It was getting quite large anyway, and is something I normally do to keep things tidy.

-----------------
Webmaster - TriumphRat.Net
My Album
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,724 Posts
On 2007-01-20 23:26, D9 wrote:
Well, shoot! - had a lot of good correspondence in the 'ol pm - hope it's not gone for good - if so, it's another hard lesson learned - take anything important straight to email from now on, fergit the dang pm... as far
as the hackers, well... got-dandruff-and-some-of-it-itches, ferkin schmit-heds!!!

:mad:

D9
Yep... I couldn't agree w/ you more D9. From now on, if I list anything in the classifieds, I be sure and ask them to email me... and NOT to PM me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
On 2007-01-20 21:42, ohiorider wrote:
I'd much rather talk bikes, but ........
<BR>
<BR>Since I've been on this forum, I've received approx 60 PMs. I just checked them to pull up an address of a forum member who'd emailed me a few months ago, only to find that my InBox shows "0" messages.
<BR>
<BR>Is there some way I could have erased these messages (I didn't intend to), or is this a by-product of the Turko/Islam thing that hit the site earlier today?
<BR>
<BR>Could deleting cookies cause this?
<BR>
<BR>Or maybe too much good red vino on Sat nite?
<BR>
<BR>Bob
Do't know what's happening, but I got an e-mail notification from the site here, saying I had a P.M. from you Bob....and when I went to check it, BOOM...same deal....NO MESSAGES.

WHASSUP????????????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
On 2007-01-21 06:07, johnyC wrote:
ozbon,

don't panic, Shawn did it as a precaution:

Shawn
Webmaster
World SuperBike

Fayetteville, AR USA

Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Posted: 2007-01-20 22:40
As a precaution, I dumped the Private Message database.

It was getting quite large anyway, and is something I normally do to keep things tidy.

-----------------
Webmaster - TriumphRat.Net
My Album
GREAT......I had some PM's in there with some part numbers, vendors, addresses......
The search function is one of the hardest and most inconvenient I've ever used, and now, without notification....our PM's are dumped..... man....I better shut up now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
Looks like we'll be trading Phone #s AGAIN! :-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On 2007-01-20 22:32, mecscc wrote:
Ditto. Just pretend its a year from now and you would be cleaning it out anyway.

Cold enough for you, Bob?

We really got spoiled there for a while, didn't we?

Monte :cool:
Clean out my inbox .... ? What makes you think I'm that efficient?

Way too cold for me, Monte. Ahhh, well ... we're nearing the end of January, so we'll probably be back out sporatically within 5-6 weeks/

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,218 Posts
Dumped as a precaution. I guess better to dump the PM's and all their info than let it fall into the enemies hands. But then I had no PM's to lose.

[ This message was edited by: Loxpump on 2007-01-21 17:19 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,210 Posts
Now guys, cool your jets.

Yet another reminder: RatNet DOESN'T belong to you. It belongs to the guy who pays for the server and puts in his own sweet FREE TIME to keep it up and running.

Kwicher whinin.

Lost-100-emails,
Mare

ps: write back! :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,832 Posts
On 2007-01-21 18:49, MA0458 wrote:
Now guys, cool your jets.

Yet another reminder: RatNet DOESN'T belong to you. It belongs to the guy who pays for the server and puts in his own sweet FREE TIME to keep it up and running.

Kwicher whinin.

Lost-100-emails,
Mare

ps: write back! :)
You sound like my dad when I was living at home. me "I'm going to my room!" him "it's not your room, it's my room I let you stay in!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,086 Posts
We've been here before, fellas. Couple years ago we lost our PMs. Back then I was pushing for us to not think that the PM system was an email system. (Nobody listened then so I have little hope for a different result now.) But the PM system is NOT an email system. The email that we get justs notifies us that we have a PM. There is NO guarantee that your PMs will be saved. In fact, until a little over a year ago it was not even possible to save a PM reply. Shawn is NOT running an email service.
<BR>
<BR>Which is why I list my email address and when I get PMs I strongly recommend to the sender that any future coorespondence be to my email address. Most don't, but I do have a folder that has many of the replies in it, and I have a file that I have copied all of the technical replies into: here, at home, on my hard drive.
<BR>
<BR>If you are paranoid and don't want someone to have your personal email at home it is easy to set up web based email. I have two of those for folks and companies that I don't want bothering me at home.
<BR>
<BR>But the bottom line is that WE, not Shawn, have assumed that the PMs were protected email like messages. That was never so and was never claimed to be so. Shawn did what he had to do to protect the site - which, if we bother to notice, is working.
<BR>
<BR>BTW: IF you are putting your pics out in the album page and assuming that that is a protected, guaranteed storage area, you might want to rethink that as well.
<BR>
<BR>2 cents worth.
<BR>
<BR>Smile,
<BR>
<BR>Monte :cool:

[ This message was edited by: mecscc on 2007-01-22 00:15 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,210 Posts
My immediate thought when it happened was, Oh, poor Shawn! This hadda happen on a Saturday, huh? Not like he needs a weekend free to chill from his OTHER FULL TIME JOB!

It ain't magic, folks, it's WORK.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top