Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Browsing through the German Magazine Motorrad, I came across this picture. It clearly answers the question " What kind of bike is that?" in more ways than one!

Don't think she'll go over much more than that. Also notice the guy is in his TOURING gear!

MD
07 ST

[ This message was edited by: TheNomad on 2007-06-26 06:34 ]

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
He's not showing off in touring gear, he's just trying to catch up to his pal on the faster black Sprint. :-D :razz:

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you ask me he's not in a very good riding position - looks like he is pushing the bike down like a supermotard rider so the bike is leaning more than it should for that speed... plus what is he doing with his left elbow? He doesn't look very relaxed - he needs to lean further forward, drop his elbows and shift his weight to the right some more so that his center line is to the right of the bikes center line (currently it's to the left of the bikes center line...) Here speaks the expert - NOT! - if you took a pic of me at that speed I'd probably be in exactly the same position... :)

[ This message was edited by: duckie on 2007-06-26 12:31 ]

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Not an expert either but I was wondering why he was so upright for an aggressive curve like that too. It's a SPORT/Tourer that requires sport postures and skills when attempting to exercise the sport handling. What was the article about? And was the following page a pic of the low-side that is looming in this one? :???:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On 2007-06-26 12:48, denman13 wrote:
Not an expert either but I was wondering why he was so upright for an aggressive curve like that too. It's a SPORT/Tourer that requires sport postures and skills when attempting to exercise the sport handling. What was the article about? And was the following page a pic of the low-side that is looming in this one? :???:
Just some crazy German magazine tester. I believe the article was a normal test of the bike, but I only know enough German to order a beer.

What I was really looking for was an English version of the 50,000 Km durability test that they did. The one the ST won against BMW and Honda VFR etc.

MD

·
Registered
349 Posts
Looks like homeboy has one strong break finger! Those forks look completely collapsed.

Yes better riding position could help too.

Of course there is probably a pub mid apex of that corner and he missed the driveway. :razz:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Definitely hard braking in mid corner...front end completely tucked and bird finger on the front brake...he's bracing for something out of frame. Perhaps too hot in the corner and this pic is taken just before he stands it up with a full hand 'o brake..his whole body is bracing for something coming up fast ...

my $.02

·
Registered
852 Posts
Maybe the front forks are collapsed because he's really heavy and the suspension is set up wrong? I know my brakes wouldn't be doing anything with the lever out that far

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On 2007-06-26 22:47, iceman wrote:
He doesn't appear to have any front brake on - look at the lever.If you believe what you read it would be back to the hand grip :-D

Grant :cool:
I think he is just "covering" the brakes with his finger. I have always ridden with my index finger flat on the brake lever, ready for anything. I would say cornering forces are what is compressing the suspension (plus he does look like a big guy)

MD

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Hard to tell. Perhaps the pic is deceiving and the curve is uphill but my guess is that he is braking just not with the brake. Big guy coming into a turn pretty hot in low gear wide open then completely rolls off and closes throttle, compression brakes and stands up. He does look like he's bracing for something as hannabone suggests. There was either free beer at the pub or she was topless. :-D :-D :razz:

GP, we've all pulled a boner in a curve at one time. Hopefully just not while being captured on film.
:hihi:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Well my 2c worth.

A big guy like that should sit further back in the seat so he can lean his body forward AND to the right so he carries less lean angle as suggested.

He is also way to stiff, with arms out like that and leaning off, not in to the corner.

I also think it's down hill, not just the compression on the forks, but the front does look tucked in - not much margin for error with the speed, downhill and weight off line like that.

Re: Brakes, yep it looks like he's only covering the lever no real pressure there.

Russ

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm no Hayden, but I've had mine leaned over much more than that! :-D He DOES look awfully stiff though, as if he's bracing for something: unexpected decreasing radius perhaps?

[ This message was edited by: H2Orat on 2007-06-27 07:44 ]

·
Registered
861 Posts
How about his front tire? Is it me or does it look underinflated?
Maybe he's wondering why his front end is so mushy, look at the expression on his face.

·
Registered
868 Posts
On 2007-06-26 22:47, iceman wrote:
.... obviously an amateur - his helmet doesnt match the bike.
LOL! :hihi:

He's a large(ish) guy and we all know the +05 front end is too soft. So this is my take on it - At this point he is mid corner after coming in too hot and grabbing a handful of front brake which he's just released so all the weight is now thrown forward compressing the forks and making the back lift up (if he leans the bike much further he will loose the front as there is no suspension left to soak up the bumps). At this point he is obviously scared sh!tless because he's close to loosing it and that is why he's tensed up... Sound familiar anyone? Come on be honest! :blush: :)

(safety tip - always cover your front brake with your first two fingers - much quicker reaction time if your fingers are already there...)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'm gonna stick with the engine braking theory. He's realized he's too hot coming in, rolls off throttle fast, covers the front brake and his left arm is up because he was too upright to start with and he's trying to hold himself up as his body weight is pushing forward. The reason I don't think he just released front brake is that his front end is still fully compressed and he's only got the one finger on the lever. Also, look how far up that finger is. That would have to be one hulk-like strong finger to grab full brakes from that point on the lever. Also, if he'd already finished braking, wouldn't his line be all f'd up by that point and his bike more upright?

Wheee! It's like CSI Triumph! :-D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts