Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around 2 years ago, I sold my Rocket after touring throughout Europe to Croatia and up into Northern Spain. I had "tourised" my RIII using a Corbin dual tour/roadster screen, prog 440's and beetlebags etc...I loved it...but..well you know...
I am now thinking of another and the Rocket Touring has subsequently been released, I notice it seems to have been neutered in the bhp stake for a little gain in the stump-pulling neck of the woods.
Has anyone owned both? Can you give me a lowdown on whether the handling HAS been improved dramatically..will I notice the bhp loss...do the aftermarket mufflers and remap make a huge difference.
I had an 04 Rocket and ran it both standard and with TOR's, Decat and PowerCommander and have to say that although it sounded like The Titans at war, I was never entirely convinced of the 20/30 hp increase supposedly unleashed.
I've got to climb back on the launch pad though ..I really do
Many thanks
Bonnietiler

·
Registered
876 Posts
Well.. since it's been 2 days and no response, I'll tell what I've observed and what I have heard from trusted sources. I have an '04 Rocket with 39,000 miles on it, but have not ridden the R3T, so take this for what it's worth.

People who have ridden both have said that there is no noticable difference in power unless you're in search of top end speed. MOST of the power can be recovered with aftermarket exhaust and TuneBoy software. However, I understand that Triumph has requested that TuneBoy not remove the speed limiter on the R3T. The catylitic converters are stored in the mufflers, so if you swap mufflers, you remove the cats as well. I believe D&D is the only outfit currently making direct replacements for the R3T for now.

Comfort wise, the R3T is said to be MUCH improved with easier steering due to the smaller tire sizes, and shocks that actually absorb shock, and have damping as well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thanks for that Dave, I thought that in the 18 months or so since I last visited the good Ship ROCKET, that it had been replaced by the Marie Celeste for a moment there!
I'm hoping to test one later this week and seeing as I have covered around 15,000 miles on an 04 model, if I can offer an opinion on any differences then I'll post back.
Cheers
Bonnietiler

·
Registered
1 Posts
3 weeks ago I test rode a r3 classic and a r3t model back to back. The classic definitely felt like it had more go. Big difference in my opinion.
O.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I own a Rocket III standard and I've put almost 6,000 miles on it since this past April. Over the weekend I test rode a Rocket Tourer to see what all the talk was about. It's a nice bike but I can't see why anyone would prefer it over the Standard or Classic Rocket III. It's a lot slower accelerating and IMO the handling isn't much different. It's just kinda like a neutered Rocket III... It's easier and cheaper to get a Standard Rocket III and install your own bags and windshield. That way you can have both horsepower and touring comfort. I really don't understand why Triumph limited the power of the new touring model.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have both, 2005 R3 and 2008 R3T. The R3T does handle better and is a big improvement for long trips. I took it on a 3K trip to the west coast this summer and it was great. However if you like the feeling you get when you go to pass someone and B/4 you start to turn the crank you are past the guy and doing 100 MPH you want the R3. It has a lot more get up and go and if I had to pick one I would get the R3. But then if I were you I would go to a dealer and try them both that is the best way to get what you want.

Trapper

·
Registered
752 Posts
I got myself a test ride on a Standard. Ooof ! What a blast to ride.
I feel at this point that the Tourer is probably more my style. Hard bags, classic looks, the 'cruiser' feel. Although that Classic is pretty sweet, I like the hard bags and the apparent handling difference. Perhaps that comes from my experiences only with cruisers. Either way, I am certain my next bike is going to be that R3T. Makes me all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it.:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm with XChoppers on this one... get the power of the R3 standard then drop the cash to get a windscreen, bags, and a sissy bar.
But that's just me... I like the sound of my saddlebags flapping in the breeze at 100+ as I pass slower vehicles. As for the standards' handling, it just takes a little more effort. Check out the youtube videos of someone practicing their Ride Like a Pro skills on a R3 standard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts