Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you wondered whats out there in the middle of the Florida panhandle here it is. Turns out it is a very fast route heading west with little to slow you down (SR 267 and SR20). The suggest speed limit is 60 but......

Got nearly to Pensacola from Ft. Myers today. 540 miles. At the end of the day I try to find a hotel with a bar and grill type place next door. Turns out tonight all I could find was a Holiday Inn Express with a Hooters next door. Life is tough. Should get most of the way across Louisiana tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Only a Hooters? What a tragedy. :)

540 miles is really good. I've never done over 380 in a day on my Bonnie. Something is wrong with me. So slooow!

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Juni I usually do about 350 miles a day or so after the first day of a trip which is gettin out of S. Florida. I use state roads but you can haul it pretty good in the empty sections. Tomorrow will be a pain staying on I10 to get past the New Orleans area. After that back on the local roads.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I squint, I think I can see a corner somewhere on the horizon.
No there wasn't one, I thought I saw it too but when I got there it had disappeared.

Didn't see the law out there at all. Seems like they stick close to the towns. I do stay pretty close to the suggested speeds when I get to the reduced speed zones just outside of the populated areas.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Out the Back of Bourke

Out the Back of Bourke, for those unfamiliar with it, it means out whoop whoop, in the middle of friggn nowhere; and this is how you get there. Try this for long and boring. Over a 100 miles (I converted for you) of straight scrub - dry flat nothingness - bugger all.

And not one Hooter to break the trip up.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
The straightest-road-that-wasn't-a-city-street I was ever on was the section of U.S. Route 93 from the Hoover Dam to Kingman, AZ. It's all wiggly when you get to the dam and once you pass it, it's all straight.

I was on it at night and half expected to drive right off the Earth.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Out the Back of Bourke, for those unfamiliar with it, it means out whoop whoop, in the middle of friggn nowhere; and this is how you get there. Try this for long and boring. Over a 100 miles (I converted for you) of straight scrub - dry flat nothingness - bugger all.

And not one Hooter to break the trip up.
It looks like there is a little wiggle just below Byrock - is that where all the crashes are?

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
We have plenty of boring roads but non quite as straight as the one b/n Nyngan and Bourke (except for the little wiggle at Byrock - good spot Rallycat). None that I know of anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The straightest-road-that-wasn't-a-city-street I was ever on was the section of U.S. Route 93 from the Hoover Dam to Kingman, AZ. It's all wiggly when you get to the dam and once you pass it, it's all straight.

I was on it at night and half expected to drive right off the Earth.
Hey Lefty if the weather cooperates I may be checking out that stretch of 93 when I leave Vegas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts