Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just over 600mi on my new Speed Twin; my second modern Triumph.

I've noticed the gearbox has a different feel than my Bobber had. On the Speed Twin, sometimes up-shifting in the lower gears results on in a very notchy, or snappy shift. It makes a audible clunk and feels almost as if something was under pressure and was than released. I can sometimes feel this in the clutch lever as well. I suppose it feels like a poorly executed clutchless shift even though I have the lever to the grip.

Oil was just changed and the chain tension was checked by the dealer at the 500mi service. There's a little play in the cable at the clutch lever that's not causing anything. For what it's worth, the gearbox has never gotten stuck or refused a shift. Some shift are just very clunky

Also worth mentioning. Unlike my other bikes, the Speed Twin is somewhat fussy about dropping gears. When I start it, I need to release the clutch a little before it will go in first. Also, while I understand it's not proper technique, I sometimes can't downshift once stopped. My other bikes, including the Bobber, were more forgiving in this sense.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Some shift are just very clunky
I think that's just the way some of them are, mine's very clunky from second to third, everything above that is ok.
some people have reported them getting smoother with more miles so there's a chance it'll improve, there's not much chance mine will change now after 14,000 miles.
Although I don't have any trouble selecting gears at standstill like you've reported, obviously if I had to downshift more than one gear at standstill I would have to let the clutch out a bit in between.

No doubt somebody will be on here soon who's got a perfectly smooth gearbox and claim it's your technique, but they've just got lucky with their bike, my technique is the same for every gear shift and only second to third clunks ( at anything above crawling speed).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It 'might' be my technique but I've tried to be very conscious of it. My other bike is an MT(FZ)-09 which does better with fast, aggressive shifts. It might be that I'm riding the Triumph with my Yamaha brain.

The clunks aren't what worry me so much as the feeling of releasing tension on the shift; almost as if it pings out of one gear into the next.

·
Registered
233 Posts
yeah clutch adjust and make sure chain not too tight. Ive owned a LOT of bikes and this is my first Triumph and the trans is the smoothest Ive every felt--Like butter.
Of course techinique aids shifting too like let off gas briefly on upshift and blip throttle or stay in gas some on downshift. I perfected this owning a notch Ducati trans hahaha
All else fails let someone else ride it or take in and have dealer ride it-- but I can already predict- its normal ( they say :) )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chain tension is straightforward but how would I go about adjusting the clutch? Is there anything unique with doing so on a bike with a slip-assist clutch?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Chain tension is straightforward but how would I go about adjusting the clutch? Is there anything unique with doing so on a bike with a slip-assist clutch?
there should be a little play at lever. You can adjust the cable up top by lever to remove some play. Make it less play and ride it. I bet it shifts smoother. The thing you need to watch is you dont take out all play or the clutch can slip under power when riding. Make sense.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 3.01.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 3.00.45 PM.png

you should be able to do things up top at lever. Book says if you cant get 2-3 mm free play at top then adjust bottle by engine cover. Anyway, you want very little free play for things to shift smooth. But enough that clutch is fully engaged and locked during riding

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Don't know about WC twins. Not sure about other Hinkley twins but older Triumphs Nortons etc had 2 places to adjust. One by the lever as stated above and another at the "clutch rod" pressure plate which was adjusted first. Perhaps a shop manual may be needed or search on youtub.
Just saw markg333's post that ought to do it. The first adjustment by the shift lever will accomplish what I was trying to describe as the clutch rod. Do it first. After both adjustments swing the handle bar side to side and make sure there is play.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'll chime in too. Much of the same as others pointed out but here's my thoughts.

I own 4 Triumphs so I am pretty familiar with the transmissions (Speed Twin, Bobber Black, Thruxton R, and the Street Twin which carries the 5 speed). All smooth as butter.
As mentioned, first thing would be to make sure that the drive chain has the proper slack and the clutch cable has the proper free play. Your issue sounds like what I'd expect with an improperly adjusted clutch cable. I think it was posted above but just to be sure... my method is to loosen or tighten the adjuster on the perch so that the 'slop' in the lever is such that it allows me to slip a nickel into the space between the lever and perch.
Oil has a big effect on shifting. Both weight and composition. Some oils just shift better than others. Motul 7100 shifts fine for me. Rotella T6 shifts fine for me but my Street Twin hates it (cam chain noise). I am using 10w40 oil in all my Triumphs. Mobil1 always shifted bad for me, except in Yamahas.
If you have adjusted your lever free play, adjusted your chain, and have known good oil in it (and by known good you actually know what the dealer put in - we have had unscrupulous dealers in our area put the cheapest oil they could find in bikes), and the oil level is proper (midway up the sight window on a hot engine with the bike upright and level - this matters because too much oil can cause dragging in the clutch) and it is still notchy my next step would be to check the clutch plates. It's not hard, honestly, and will cost you 4 liters of oil. You measure the thickness of the pack and the individual plates and spring length. You may have a warped plate. It may have just been put together improperly and taking it apart/putting it back together gives you a chance to make sure it's right. It isn't tough at all - 2 beer job - but if you don't feel like doing it then convince your dealer to do it.
What you are saying sounds awful lot like a clutch issue to me - not a tranny issue.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
No doubt somebody will be on here soon who's got a perfectly smooth gearbox and claim it's your technique, but they've just got lucky with their bike, my technique is the same for every gear shift and only second to third clunks ( at anything above crawling speed).
Or the clutch or the chain.........
Told you

I'll just say right now that it's none of these things in my case at least, it's just a clunky gearbox, simple as and I'm guessing it's the same for the OP.

Just because some people are lucky to have a smooth gearbox doesn't mean it's the same for every bike, or that people can't do basic maintenance tasks correctly. :mad:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Or the clutch or the chain.........
Told you

I'll just say right now that it's none of these things in my case at least, it's just a clunky gearbox, simple as and I'm guessing it's the same for the OP.

Just because some people are lucky to have a smooth gearbox doesn't mean it's the same for every bike, or that people can't do basic maintenance tasks correctly. :mad:
Ok be fair. I never said he did anything improperly. I merely said these are the things I would check. Sure there are clunky gear boxes - had a few myself that were clunky for no other reason than to be clunky (BMW cough cough) however, I have 3 transmissions identical to his and all 3 don't exhibit his issue. I think it is at least worth exploring. If we all reported back that they were clunky by design that would be that. But with many smooth ones, it is entirely possible something is amiss and it could be as simple as a little too much oil or something out of adjustment. It is at least worth trying to sort it than to just accept it as is with no attempt to correct it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My speed twin did the same with neutral elusive. Had to adjust at bottom of cable since the top was running out of adjustment range.

Reactions: Hybrid81

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think that's just the way some of them are, mine's very clunky from second to third, everything above that is ok.
some people have reported them getting smoother with more miles so there's a chance it'll improve, there's not much chance mine will change now after 14,000 miles.
Although I don't have any trouble selecting gears at standstill like you've reported, obviously if I had to downshift more than one gear at standstill I would have to let the clutch out a bit in between.

My Gearbox on my 1200xe Scrambler is exactly the same. And no, its not gonna ge better with more milage.
Its only from 2-3 and sometimes from 3-4. 1-2, 4-5-6 working perfect.
Dealer tested this behavior and agreed it's loud, but he mentioned its nothing to fix. Working as intended...
After 11.000 km all I can say it's NOT the clutch adjust of "wrong" shifting, Its all about the Engine and environment temperature.
The hotter it is, the more clunky the gearbox went. It MAY have to do with the oil viscosity. Currently I have 10W40 and I will try next Oil 10W50, which suits better to 30+ degree Celsius.

·
Registered
998 Posts
My speed twin did the same with neutral elusive. Had to adjust at bottom of cable since the top was running out of adjustment range.
Yea finding neutral can be a pain when stopping. Almost every time actually. I always notice because I gas up at the start of every ride and have to mess with it when I stop at the gas station. First to second, then down to neutral, hopefully. I’m also finding that the shifter gets stuck sometimes and I have to let out the clutch a bit in order to move it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put on quite a few miles yesterday and paid close attention to the gear box. Neutral to 1st clunks hard but that's what happens on every other bike I've ridden.

I noticed the most predictable (>90% of the time) I get a hard clunk when going into 3rd; either from 2nd or 4th. Less often I get a hard clunk from 3rd to 4th. I don't recall ever experiencing this from 4th onward. It clunks hard enough that I can slightly feel it in the clutch lever.

I put the bike up on a paddock stand and when I pull the clutch in I can confirm the rear wheel stops moving. I thought maybe the clutch wasn't fully disengaging and these shifts were happening with some load still on the gears but that's not the case.

Dealer says it's fine. Is that that the case or is there something I should be doing?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I put on quite a few miles yesterday and paid close attention to the gear box. Neutral to 1st clunks hard but that's what happens on every other bike I've ridden.

I noticed the most predictable (>90% of the time) I get a hard clunk when going into 3rd; either from 2nd or 4th. Less often I get a hard clunk from 3rd to 4th. I don't recall ever experiencing this from 4th onward. It clunks hard enough that I can slightly feel it in the clutch lever.

I put the bike up on a paddock stand and when I pull the clutch in I can confirm the rear wheel stops moving. I thought maybe the clutch wasn't fully disengaging and these shifts were happening with some load still on the gears but that's not the case.

Dealer says it's fine. Is that that the case or is there something I should be doing?
The majority of people who report slightly clunky gear boxes on the wc twins all seem to say it's second to third gear that's worse, my Thruxton is the same. Only if I change at really low revs and throttle (<2000rpm) will it go in smoothly, anything over that it clunks every time, all the other gear shifts are fine.
If you have it I don't think there's anything you can do about it, assuming like you said your clutch is adjusted correctly, which isn't going to change between different gears anyway.
People who don't have the clunk will tell you all sorts of ways you're doing things wrong but they just happen to be lucky, it's nothing they're doing differently.

Reactions: MNiceGuy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seems like it's one of those 'is what it is' things. The transmission has never missed a shift and no false neutrals. Very little effort is required to move up and down the gears. It sounds like a gear is going to blast out the side of the case sometimes but I'll just write it off as a 'characteristic'.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My Speed Twin is my 3rd Triumph and each of my Triumphs have shifted differently from one another and had their own unique characteristics. With the Speed Twin, I have recently had a minor issue shifting from 1st to 2nd and getting hung up in neutral. With the clutch pull being so light in general with this bike, it required more adjustment than I was expecting at the lever. I think I may have it dialed in now, which will be confirmed with more riding. All other shifts are okay and there's a clunk into 1st from standstill. Other gears have a small clunk some times, but not always and not anything that concerns me right now.

When I previously had more noticeable clunks on my Speed Twin and jerks on clutch release, the chain needed to be tightened a little. I keep my chain on the looser side of the range, so it does not take much to go outside of range and need adjusting.

As others have suggested, a properly adjusted clutch, chain, and choice of motor oil can make a big difference. Certainly start with these things first.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts