Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've had my 2006 '955 for a couple of years now and hoped the gearbox would loosen up a bit. It's got 13,500 miles on the clock.

Unfortunately, it is still "notchy". I know all the tricks about throttle blipping to engage the gear, clutch lever adjustemnt, chain slack, etc, but when upshifting, especially through third, I might as well not have a clutch. Neutral is sometimes a pain to find as well :confused:

It takes a good kick with the boot to get it to go up from second to third, and then I can hear the "clunk".

Although I've had my 12,000 mile service and technically my bike is no longer under warranty, I would like to know whether it is worth investigating, or are all Tiger gearboxes like this ??

Your comments would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sounds a bit like mine Graeme, and my 06 has done 25400 miles. I find that shifting with a slowish positive movement is best, when trying to hurry up through the gears it sometimes finds a false neutral! :(

However, having been brought up on bikes dating from the early fifties :eek: it is something I have no problem living with. ;)

Andy.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Graeme,

Mines the same with 9k on the clock.

I think 955 Tiger gearboxes are often described as notchy. Mines especially poor coming down the box.

The only thing I will say about my bike, even with the clutch correctly adjusted, it's only just disengaged with the lever fully pulled in.

When I get the motivation, I'll strip down the clutch and check the plates for warpage and contamination etc.

Dave

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Mine's never been what I would call notchy, although it does occasionally balk on upchanges. I find I can get a much smoother change without the clutch changing up, particularly 3-4-5-6 - just apply slight pressure to the pedal and ease the throttle and it's quite smooth.

Nothing comes close to my old Norton Commando though which was brilliant.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Mine is the same as all the above with 28,000 on it,i've had the 955 8 years this may,the 1100s 10, it's easier to deal with having separate gearbox and the wonders of Mobil 1 gear oil,but haveing recently bought an XT660X i'd forgotten how good a Jap gearbox is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
And I thought it was just my perception that the gear box is notchy on my recently purchased '06 Tiger with 19,000 miles.....not too bad on the upshifts, but it is rather stiff on the downshifts. It takes a deliberate tap of the foot to downshift with the clutch lever fully pulled in.

·
Registered
435 Posts
if you can get used to a slightly longer span, do what I did - swap out the lever and perch from a 2007 and up, and the 2007 cable as well. When set to 4 it's like original, 3 or 2 give a little extra movement when pulled into the grip.

I've read about people pulling the clutch, cleaning the plates, soaking them in oil, then reassembling and they say it's fine.

Others have either put a shim behind the basket, or replaced one of the 2.0mm plates with a 1.6mm plate (both do the same thing - give you a little more movement / clearance at the clutch basket with the stock lever pulled in). This is at the expense of a little less pressure at the plates... not sure it would be enough to matter. I guess you could go with stronger springs, a thinner plate or two, and that would do the trick too.

I think the tolerance is so tight, and after 2003 they use a longer lifter arm (engine side), which means a lighter clutch pull, but at the expense of not as much movement near the clutch basket.... and it's so close that the plates are not fully disengaged (very slight drag causing hard shifts).

With the longer lifter arm, this means to get the same amount of movement at the clutch plates on release, you need a longer throw than the stock lever allows (if you compare a 2001-2003 to the 2004-2006). The shorter lifter arm moves the clutch basket more than the longer, later arm. I haven't tried the lifter from a 1999-2003 yet to see how stiff it would be - the clutch lever and perch from a 2007 did the trick enough for me (NOTE: won't work with your handguards - I just ditched mine - I never found them useful).

Anything that allows a little more movement at the clutch side, to get the plates a little more space / clearance when the clutch is disengaged helps a lot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
gear box

at the 12000 mile service the mechanic told me to run gears 1 2 and 3 as there notchy, he said "4 5 and 6 seemed ok", I replied "so much torque I never use 1 2 and 3" with a wink and a smile. He said "you either get a real smooth one or more likely a notchy one, it's a Triumph after all"
Must confess never thought it was notchy ;-) have got a few false neutrals of late though but have been "making some progress" on rides lately.

Perhaps they just need a few more miles, must tell her that must be obeyed, sorry dear gears 1 2 and 3 need some work, here's hoping

cheers Spud

·
Registered
10 Posts
I changed oil and filter yesterday and the shifting is a little bit better, but still stiffer than the '07 BMW R1200GSA I just sold (and that is saying something). If it ever cools off where I live, I am going to disconnect the clutch cable off at both ends and see how freely the inner cable slides in the housing........I already lubed it with Dri-Slide.

Otherwise, as noted, you don't have to shift this bike much since it has so much torque.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've always found mine very crunchy selecting 1st (from neutral). Other gears are OK buit it's not as slick as a typical Japanese gearbox. I can live with it, having owned Guzzis in the past!

The clutch and chain adjustment has a marked effect on the general gearbox operation, as to a lesser extent, does the condition of the oil. I think Triumph can do better and should take a Suzuki apart for inspiration. I do feel the looks when I crunch mine into first at the lights and to add insult to injury, my mate's GS1200 has a (shock-horror) smoother change from neutral to 1st!

Whilst Triumph are reverse-engineering the Suzuki gearbox, perhaps they could make my 6th gear higher at the same time to drop the revs whilst criusing? That'll be nice.

Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts