Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys

My name is Dan, I'm from Glasgow in Scotland. I work for the University of Strathclyde at the Advanced Forming Research Centre doing business development and I'm writing up my engineering doctorate. Passed my test earlier in the year and treated myself to an '08 T100. Unfortunately I crashed said Bonneville this week riding home from work, joys of wet roads and diesel leaks. I'll therefore be looking for repair and insurance tips on here as well as general bike banter.

Since I cannot start a thread, a little advice here would be good: crash has smashed my headlight and indicator, bent the headlight bracket, bent the cluster bracket and broken the tach, sheared the right rider footpeg, broken the front mudguard and skewed the forks. So lots of damage but nothing big and expensive as far I'm aware.

Here's where I need advice, being new to bikes, driving, insurance etc. I have contacted my insurer and their approved garage is collecting Monday. I am now second guessing that choice, my premiums are already high so this could make them crazy. Looking at what's obviously broken I could source parts online and fix it myself then get it checked at a garage locally. I am not a mechanic but I am an engineer with common sense. Would this be a stupid idea? Also since I have already contacted my insurer is it too late? They know it has been damaged so I am assuming it isn't as simple as phoning them back and saying 'forget it'.

Any tips much appreciated :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi guys

My name is Dan, I'm from Glasgow in Scotland. I work for the University of Strathclyde at the Advanced Forming Research Centre doing business development and I'm writing up my engineering doctorate. Passed my test earlier in the year and treated myself to an '08 T100. Unfortunately I crashed said Bonneville this week riding home from work, joys of wet roads and diesel leaks. I'll therefore be looking for repair and insurance tips on here as well as general bike banter.

Since I cannot start a thread, a little advice here would be good: crash has smashed my headlight and indicator, bent the headlight bracket, bent the cluster bracket and broken the tach, sheared the right rider footpeg, broken the front mudguard and skewed the forks. So lots of damage but nothing big and expensive as far I'm aware.

Here's where I need advice, being new to bikes, driving, insurance etc. I have contacted my insurer and their approved garage is collecting Monday. I am now second guessing that choice, my premiums are already high so this could make them crazy. Looking at what's obviously broken I could source parts online and fix it myself then get it checked at a garage locally. I am not a mechanic but I am an engineer with common sense. Would this be a stupid idea? Also since I have already contacted my insurer is it too late? They know it has been damaged so I am assuming it isn't as simple as phoning them back and saying 'forget it'.

Any tips much appreciated :D
With some patience and a manual, it doesn't sound like anything you could not fix yourself. I am not familiar enough with insurance to offer any advise on that front though!

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
They know it has been damaged so I am assuming it isn't as simple as phoning them back and saying 'forget it'.
Yes it is! Your premium only goes up if you make a claim, or someone claims against you. The fact that some guy who works for them knows that the bike is damaged is neither here nor there. If you claim then that will be registered on a national database and when the premium price goes through the roof, you won't be able to go elsewhere cheaper.

If you don't claim, they cannot put the premium up. Simple as that. At renewal time don't even mention an accident - it will be none of their business.

All of the damaged parts you mention will be found on E-Bay, I have picked up some great OEM parts myself from there. With perhaps the exception of the foot pegs. On these bikes they have a habit of shearing off, do a search and you will find threads on this. Its worth splashing out a bit more and fitting a pair of Oberon billet pegs.

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I am sorry you come to the community under such dark circumstances, but I hope you are able to find the information and assistance you need here.

The Air Cooled Twins Talk forum and it's technical forum are where you will find the folks with the most knowledge and experience with your model. Please post there to engage the members with your situation.

http://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-talk/

Please complete your user profile so that we may see where you are from and what you ride as you post throughout the forums. Thanks!

http://www.triumphrat.net/profile.php?do=editprofile

Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts