Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My morning commute starts at 5:45 and coincidentally today was the first rain Seattle's had all summer. So it is very dark outside.

So somewhere along the 40 some-odd miles I have to ride, my headlight burned out. I didn't notice it until about half-way into the trip as the glare from everyone else's headlights made up for it. But just as I was ducking into the trees the big knot of cars passed me by - and it was DARK. I couldn't see anything except what little I picked up with those two running lights (and I'm glad they're there). I tried high-beams for a while but had to stop because I once again found myself in a big knot of cars - no sense blinding everyone around me.

So now I have to figure out how to change the headlight on this bike. By the way - this is definitely the reason why i don't like all black bikes.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I'm on my 4th low beam bulb in 36K miles. They don't seem to last long and it surely isn't because they wear out from working too hard.:rolleyes:
Pretty easy to change out but best to have a magnetic screwdriver for the little screws on the covers.

·
Banned
390 Posts
With such dim low lights in a tiger I always run with the highs on,tigers headlights on high are far less blinding then a cages on low.

·
Registered
727 Posts
X2 on the Clearwater.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I did figure out how to remove them. I never realized that the top part of the fairing popped out (those thin plastic covers for the radiator and such). Once I got them out - no sweat.

I'm hoping I can find an 64210 lamp at the store - sure hope this isn't a dealer item - but Google is quoting like 15 bucks:eek:

I've seen a couple of HID mods on other sites - if this happens again in the near future I think I'll convert them over. The low beam isn't all that strong anyway.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
HID's offer more light; but limit your other options (modulators, etc.). I've been using Xenon H4's in my bikes for years. They seem to last longer than the standards, they give you better visibility because of the color of the light, and IMHO they offer a small advantage in night vision compared to the stockers. Then I have a set of aftermarket 2000 lumen LED aux lights for good measure.

More light is good. ;)

:cool:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that was a simple task - much easier than I expected. On my Ranger changing the headlights is like open heart surgery. Here - eh.

Anyway, the bulbs were VERY expensive - but I got a 2-pack so in the future I won't be caught in the dark. At least they're not Lucas Electrics.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I run high beam 100% of the time as I can't see jack with the stock low beam.....also......I adjusted my high beam bulb upward about 5 degrees. This seems to have given me about another 20 feet of light out direct front (with stock bulbs and no auxiliary lights, I can't see very much at all at the periphery) No one has yet flashed me to indicate being pissed at my blinding them....so, I assume I am NOT blinding them with my high beams.

SMD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts