Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question I have was that my S3's shifting is fine but seems to be not as smooth as it should be? What I mean is that going into second and jerks the bike down unless i really am giving gas. If im in first and give it gas also its very very touchy. its hard to coast at all in first and second without tossin me back. If im rolling through a town in second and let off the gas to coast it chucks the bike forward (and me as well) more so then I would think it should. But i may be wrong . :)

The bike has had the sprocket changed to 1 down in front and 1 up in back.

My buddy thinks its a throttle cable adjustment is needed? Could this also be normal for the change in sprocket and the S3?

or could a faster idle help as well? its quite low currently

thanks !

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Engine braking is going to be multiplied by the over 8% the gearing is changed, and how low is low for the idle? I can think of no reason to set the idle lower than the factory setting...the oil and water pumps as well as the alternator are all spinning slower than they should at idle, plus it tends to make an engine "snatchy" at low rpm.

I take it you don't mean the shifting isn't smooth, but rather throttle transitions in first or second gear?
It may be it's not the arrow so much as the archer as well...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Also the new gear ratio will make the bike more ' jumpy ' in throttle input. I don 't think there is something wrong, maybe you need to get used to the crispier response of the bike.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have an '03 and the throttle is touchy when cruising around town or taking low speed corners in 1st or 2nd. Need to really use that feminine touch to roll it on and avoid that herky-jerkyness. I can imagine it's only intensified by the gearing change you made.

Also, I tend to use the clutch when shifting from 1st to 2nd, unless I'm really pouring it on. When I'm puttering around town it can be a real rough shift from 1st to 2nd if you don't have the throttle opened just right to match your rear wheel speed.

As far as "its hard to coast at all in first and second without tossin me back. If im rolling through a town in second and let off the gas to coast it chucks the bike forward (and me as well) more so then I would think it should." roll off the throttle easier.

·
Registered
69 Posts
abrupt performance

Welcome to large bore high performance engine braking!:) check your throttle cables for smooth operation, proper slack etc. check out your chain and sprockets too, if it is getting kinky, worn, or just poorly adjusted it can become nearly impossible to ride smoothly. other than that you just have to work on your throttle control. as an early example of fuel injection it has some off idle issues. might be able to clean it up with a remap..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no give\play at all so I adjusted it a bit.

I think when the new grips were put on it was pretty tight since then maybe.

Sorry was on vacation so late response. I think its a little bit of everything. Sprocket change and just the bike and getting use to it. There just was no way of being any more touchy then I was being. So hope this helps

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts