Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I'm new to the site, and a fairly new S3 owner. Bought a 2001 from a guy back in August, and have been loving the thing, but now I've got a problem.

I rode it out from Norfolk, Va to Williamsburg 3 weeks ago, which is roughly an hours ride. Was riding with a buddy who owns a harley, and we kept it at a real good pace (75-85mph consistently). When we got to the exit where we were going to turn around, I started to gear down as I was decelerating. The bike immediatly started to act as if it had run out of fuel (I had at least 4/5 of a tank), then promptly died. I pulled to the side and tried to start it again. All I got was the starting sound but no fire. Thankfully a friend was able to bring a truck and I got it home. The next day I tried it and it started fine, and went for about 30 seconds and cut off again.

I thought it was the fuel filter, so I replaced that and the bike did the same thing, started and ran for about 30 seconds.

I dont have the knowledge of the bike enough to be able to sort my way around and I have a ton of questions about it, but mainly I'd like to know if this sounds like it could be fuel pump gone bad or am I way off?

Any help would be really appreciated.

God Bless,

Nathan

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I'm not sure about 2001's, but my 2007 had a similar problem that was apparently the result of tank vacuum. There is a one-way valve on the tank vent line that is notorious for sticking, which results in a vacuum in the tank. I guess when the vacuum gets bad enough, the engine can starve. Removed my valve and all is OK again.

Open your filler and listen/feel for vacuum.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not sure about 2001's, but my 2007 had a similar problem that was apparently the result of tank vacuum. There is a one-way valve on the tank vent line that is notorious for sticking, which results in a vacuum in the tank. I guess when the vacuum gets bad enough, the engine can starve. Removed my valve and all is OK again.

Open your filler and listen/feel for vacuum.
I agree with Mark... had the same problem with another bike where the breather hose into the tank was blocked and therefore created a vacuum as Mark stated and caused the bike to starve of fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I tried to feel for the vacuum, however it didn't seem to be the case. I'm assuming ya'll were referring to the fuel pressure regulator being blocked? Is there any other way I could diagnose this as being the issue still?

I really appreciate the help, sorry it took me a couple days to get back to you. School has been keeping me away from the bike.

P.s.
On top of the battery, there are 2 what appear to be computer cables, one which has an end-cap of sorts plugged into it. The other cable has a dust cover, and appears as though it should be plugged into something, but I've looked and looked and have no idea where or what.

Could this loose cable be the cause of my issues?

·
Registered
728 Posts
The cable with dust cover is where a Triumph tech would hook up the Triumph scan tool or you would attach a Tuneboy.
As for the one thats blocked dont worry about that either.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ok, I tried to feel for the vacuum, however it didn't seem to be the case. I'm assuming ya'll were referring to the fuel pressure regulator being blocked? Is there any other way I could diagnose this as being the issue still?

I really appreciate the help, sorry it took me a couple days to get back to you. School has been keeping me away from the bike.

P.s.
On top of the battery, there are 2 what appear to be computer cables, one which has an end-cap of sorts plugged into it. The other cable has a dust cover, and appears as though it should be plugged into something, but I've looked and looked and have no idea where or what.

Could this loose cable be the cause of my issues?

The other cable is for the factory alarm...
Not referring to pressure regulator, the roll over valve is what they were talking about, this is a small cylinder, about 1.5" long in the breather line that hangs off the bottom of your tank and goes to the ground. Pull this off and your problems are solved.. As was said above this tends to stick closed and the tank can't breathe so it builds a vacumme and the fuel pump can't over come this so it starves for fuel. Open the filler cap and the problem goes away for a little while till vac is built again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All,

Thanks so much. Fixed the problem.

I took the valve out. I can just leave it off? Should I replace it?

So much thanks again.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
All,

Thanks so much. Fixed the problem.

I took the valve out. I can just leave it off? Should I replace it?

So much thanks again.
Just leave it off. The valve was intended to eliminate emissions of vapor from the tank through "breathing", but it only saves a negligible amount of emissions anyway, and is much more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright then!

Can't thank ya'll enough.
Did NOT want to take the thing to the stealership.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts