Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on here for a couple months since I bought my '06 T100, and haven't spent much time here in the classics section. (My bad!) Anyway, thought I'd post a couple photos to piss off the purists. Not really, don't be mad, 13 months ago, this bike was a basket case of mis-matched junk. Now it's MY version of mis-matched junk, but sure is fun to ride, and has been fun to tinker with. There was not much useable stuff on this thing when I bought it last year and after melting a rod and piston I've changed just about everything except that horrid plunger rear end, which I've grown to like...

</a>">

</a>">

</a>">

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I am probably one of the purist's and you can do whatever you want with what you own. However when riding the pictured bike if you are going on a long ride I hope

1 you were long pants (at least on the left leg)

2 you wear a cup (that rear tank mount will HURT if you slide up)

3 you should have a kidney belt( soft tail frames weren't)

4 when caught in the rain you don't stop under a viaduct.
(not safe) with your fenders,or lack of , you are gonna get wet during and after the storm. keep going a moving target
is harder to hit.

5 you wear ear plugs (Loud Pipes may Save Lives but they always hurt my eardrums)

Shall we continue?
:ppcn:

·
Registered
166 Posts
That bike is too cool for school! Looks like Fonzie's dad owned it. Wonderful to look at but Kadutz is right... it would be screamin' hell to ride.
Roll in to our local Harley bar with that bad boy and suddenly all the chrome & glitzo rides look like they belong to a bunch of hairdressers.

I especially like the 'finish' ...early Hollister for sure!

Best regards,
Dave :cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am probably one of the purist's and you can do whatever you want with what you own. However when riding the pictured bike if you are going on a long ride I hope...

Mom? Is that you?

Just kidding. Yeah, I wear pants.

The biggest contributor to safely riding an old machine (IMHO) is how well the bike performs. What I mean is, brakes that actually work, throttle that doesn't stick, a brake light, etc. (I've added a mirror since these pics, BTW). A well-tuned machine coupled with an aware and alert rider goes a long way towards making a safe trip. If I get hung up on that tank mount, it's on my way over the bars and I've got bigger fish to fry.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
1970 Tiger? Great. Those Savior frames are pretty pricey anymore. I'd probably use a DLS front drum, just cause........

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
no I'm not your mommie if I were I'd say

1 your taillite is to small

2 you will never give me grandchildren riding a bike with a seat like that

3 you will never give me grand children if you hit that frame knobby thingy

4 if you go over the handlebars and get killed you will never give me grandchildren

5 what is that thing on the rear fender a thumb hole for the bimbo?

6 where are you turn signals

7 your plate is expired

8 where is you helmet?

shall we continue? :ppcn:

by the way talked to your momma wants to know why you haven't posted her bail

please note talked to a friend of mine tonite of 50+years
in the 60's he put a dent in his gas tank BIGGER than my fist. It WASN'T done with his fist or knee.

tink bout it :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I haven't ridden antything like that since my LSD days! It would take more Vicodin than "House" takes a day for me to ride something like that now. I still feel the pain from decades ago. Especially my back and kicking knee. Maybe your plunger frame actually works, but that bike hurts my eyes and I only have one and a half eys left.
I had a rear seat and fender that were better than that. One day I was taking a chick for a ride. She said"I smell rubber burning"! I had to yank the fender off the tire and Had to seat her on the gas tank . facing me for the 'trip' back.
Whatever; floats your boat! Wish I was young enough to take that abuse. Cheerio

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The front frame is still salvagable for a stock put-back, it seems. Don't cut it or any more brackets off, and you can go back to stock, should you choose. Start accumulating the bits here and there. Be a fun winter project to put it back to close-to-original shape. You could always go back to the chop if you get bored.
Looks like the coil mount web between the top rails of the frame has been cut out, but that is an easy fix. Same-o for the top mount tabs. The extra holes can be plugged with bar stock and brazed in place, smoothed before painting/powdercoating.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, the back half was already on it when I bought it. I've welded various tabs and moved things around on there but have hesitated to cut anything up front. Most guys cut the stock tank mount up front and grind the bungs on the head tube smooth. (Was told those were sidecar mounts, but the dude also told me the frame was a 67... What are they?) They also weld the hardtail on, which I don't want to do. I do check the bolts regularly. The head steady mounts were carved up, but could be put back pretty easily. I don't see ever putting it back to stock, it's just not what this thing is about, but I still don't have the heart to hack things off just for looks if it's survived this long.

As for the fender, I won't ride with a passenger on this bike, no way. I have another bike for that. I've got a friend making a little pillion pad for the fender, but not for her, it's actually more of a spot for my tail bone to ride.

As uncomfortable as it may seem, if the road is reasonably smooth, it's not half as bad as one might think. Surprisingly, it tracks very straight and when that slide sticks in the Amal I can ride a long time with no hands. (I know, I know...) That plunger rear isn't as squirrely as I thought it would be, but I don't do much high speed cornering either.

It's not finished in these pics, (probably never will be) and I DO plan on painting it. Just a simple black with a couple gold pinstripes and calling it a day. It just looked so good (to me) with the natural finish that I left it that way while I shake it down for a couple months and try to find what works and what doesn't. In the name of some safety and just common sense I made a mirror about a day after these photos, and that little tailight is getting a nice bright LED bulb. Got new rubber on the front now too, the old one had plenty of tread but was old and checked.

I get you on the Dual Leading Shoe front brake, and I've got my eyes open for one. Half of the guys I ride with run no front brake and have jockey shifters, so this bike is pretty darn tame. I rode motocross for way too long to not keep a front brake, no matter what is in "fashion".

Gulfcoast, you got it. I'm not much with the ride from bar to bar thing that most custom guys are into, but when I do stop for gas or go anywhere where there are other regular bikes, it does create a stink. The average Harley dude just freaks on it. I gotta paint it so they'll quit calling it a "Rat Bike". If they knew what I had into this engine, they wouldn't call it a rat!

I know it's not the usual cup o' tea around here, but I'll probably keep it in some modified form for as long as I keep it, but I would be interested in doing a more proper restoration style job on a different bike some day. Just gotta come up on the right deal...

I appreciate your comments and the collective expertise on here.

G

·
When i step back and look at Bill's bike as a normal guy, I love it. It is all outlaw sex appeal to me. It screams for chicks to dig it. It is loud, hot and dangerous, let me at it!!

When i look at it from the perspective of an industry professional (and perhaps a bit of a mercenary), I see an alternative to the restored bike and I see Bill as yet another customer for my shop. Fact is, alot of old guys with Triumphs are gonna die soon. There will be plenty of restored bikes to restore again. There are plenty of mismatched basket cases that would be snubbed or raped for parts by the restorer crowd. But this crowd shrinks with every generation.

And what is going to revitalize British bikes for the 20 to 35 year old crowd and keep British Vintage Iron around for another fifty years? All the old Brit bike Curmudgens I know have raised kids who hate their guts and are gonna personally push the bikes in a landfill when "Pops" finally kicks the bucket.

Or junior is gonna sell all that "*****" and buy the first bag of dope and the newest PlayStation sooner than the old man is cold in his grave.

I figure if the style is "bobber, chopper or custom cafe" who cares? Bill is gonna be my customer in ten years. The more Triumps on the road, the better my biz does. And the longer the greatest motorcycle ever built survives, even if in a different form.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
fouraces
you have a very interesting (if ugly) way of looking at your business. My interests are not the same as my parents were nor are my sons the same as mine. I doubt he will trash out everything I own any more than I trashed out everything my parents owned when they died. There must be an awful lot of dysfunctional families on the coast or you run with a real screwed up group based upon your description.

Everybody's friend Marshall made a comment on another site how the Brit Supplier base is shrinking. Well wake up the customer base is also shrinking. By the way how long has your operation been going?

You may be in business in 10years you may not. I am sure
Buddy Holly,Jim Morrison, Lynyrd Skynyrd planned to be in biz longer than they were.

Since you are so big in the So-Cal bike scene maybe you know or have heard of a friend of mines Brother in law
his name is Jim/Jimmy Miller he wrenched in the Palm Springs area.
3/19/07
as an after thought why didnt you tell your buddy what the fairing mounts were?

[ This message was edited by: KADUTZ on 2007-03-19 23:21 ]

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
billdozer
the two thingys you are talking about are fairing mounts

·
Registered
774 Posts
With the cost of classic/vintage Brit iron (of any persuasion) heading where it's heading, the next generation isn't going to be able to afford to be into classic/vintage Brit iron. I suppose the demand will drop or at least not increase at the same rate as us old farts die off, but the supply is gradually going to drop too which will continue to drive the prices up. Great if you're a seller, but sucks if you're a buyer!

·
Super Moderator
13,525 Posts
ooo: I disagree.

Disposable income as a percentage of annual income, relative to the cost of living, has continued to rise steadily.

That's why you have pimple-faced punks riding hyperbikes that can do 170 MPH in 3 seconds, when teenagers of my generation were stuck with 125s that had 15 HP and could do all of about 58 on a good downhill.

middle aged middle-income guys can afford nice classic iron, and it will likely always be that way. the more rare, the higher your income, or more focused your expenditures, needs to be.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts