Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On way to work when bike had a bit of a splutter,engine management light came on and engine cut out on a very nasty bend...
Don’t want to try start her up as done that once before with a previous bike and knackered it completely..
Any ideas people????

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hmm, maybe low voltage, dead battery. Same thing happened to mine. Limped it home. I think the rectifier died and drained battery.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not had bike that long..bought off eBay without seeing it...apart from low idle speed and cutting out when you come to a stop and a bit rough running at times I can’t tell you much more than that...
Looking at getting a diagnostic cable and linking that to the wife’s computer..will that give me information I need to replace whatever I need to get her running back how she should be and is it idiot proof....

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Check the wiring harness coming out of the bottom of the ignition switch. If you see colored wires, you've probably broken the white power lead. That can cause the bike to die at different steering angles.

The harness should be looped up to the left and zip-tied to the switch housing. If it is hanging, steering movement will flex the cable - and it hinges at the switch.

·
3,078 Posts
Did you sort the previous stalling issue? That could be leaky IAC hoses. Bike will stall when you drop throttle, clutch in, if those have cracks. Simple fix.

Wonder if that is what happened in the bend, except I doubt you had clutched in at the time, right?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I shall check wires as soon as I can as well as hoses...hi mile high Scottie..still not been able to sort previous issue due to my remote location and not being able to find Ecu diagnostic centre anywhere near me..clutch was not in by the way and new battery

·
Super Moderator
21,373 Posts
Engine light WOULD be on with ignition when engine not running - sounds like it just had the stall you've been experiencing again and you should be able to re-start without much worry.
Besides - Engine lights are commonly misunderstood - it cannot possibly tell if there is something mechanical wrong - only that there is some sensor fault. So it didn't shut down because of some impending 'about to grenade' scenario.
I think your primary problem just needs to be addressed - sounds like throttle balance issue to me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s reassuring at least Decosse...must admit my heart sank when it happened and I thought my dream of owning a triumph had come to a disappointing end..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back from work and just started it..started straight the way and ticked over all though at very low revs and sounded like it was going to cut out..engine management light is still on and I don’t know if it means anything but engine management and neutral light are flickering where as dashboard lights on the bike normally shine bright and constant...

·
Super Moderator
21,373 Posts
... engine management and neutral light are flickering where as dashboard lights on the bike normally shine bright and constant...
What happens to those lights if you increase the idle just a bit (to say maybe 2K rpm)?
Also, what is the voltage across the battery at that idle speed?

If engine lights stays on, you need to get the code that set it ......
The poor idle MAY have something to do with a bad sensor but only way to know is to pull the code.

If it did not have an MIL before this recent incident, but still cutting out/stalling/poor idle I would certainly look to Throttle Balance.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lights shine bright and constant at 2K..unfortunately I don’t currently have a multimeter to test current across the battery...long boring story..ex missus..lost everything blah blah blah

·
3,078 Posts
I'd put a pint on this being a leak in the Idle Control Valve, either a hose or gasket.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
I put on silicone hoses for turbo blow off valve. Turbonetics sells it in 3 and 9 ft sections. I changed all vacuum lines with it including one from computer. Thin enough to bend without kinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the information..plenty there for me to have a look at and have a go at sorting it out..all I need now is a day off work and some decent weather to crack on with it..

·
Super Moderator
21,373 Posts
1 - 20 of 226 Posts