Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...so I'd like to paint some parts of my legend black. For anyone who's done this, I have a couple of questions:

1) What kind of paint did you use, and what color would closely match the black (engine, frame, etc)?

2) Is there a method to painting over chrome? Or is it best to strip the finish before painting?

I want the paint to last, so advice on a durability and longevity would be awesome.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Your not supposed to be able to paint over chrome, but I used some automotive primer and black spray paint to cover my horn cover.

I saw a guy on Sunday who painted his exhaust with black ceramic paint last year and is having no problems. He said the only prep was cleaning the headers and mufflers with alcohol.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Powder coat would be the best - I have successfully painted chrome and stainless on mine with satin rustoleum - make sure you remove the shine from the chrome first with abrasive and use the primer.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
My experience is that black paint will take over chrome as long as it's been scuffed with fine sandpaper and is clean. However, depending on where the chrome is, it may not be that durable to bumps and knocks and to extreme heat. For that you may need powder-coating.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Powder coat would be the best - I have successfully painted chrome and stainless on mine with satin rustoleum - make sure you remove the shine from the chrome first with abrasive and use the primer.
Do you mean rustoleum spray paint?

I really just want to do the horn cover and chain guard. I think spraypaint might do the trick for now.

I want to do the whole bike Satin black at some point. I'd also trade my red for someone's black, but I don't think anyone would be willing.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just replaced my chain guard with a chrome one. Why not sell yours or trade someone who wants a chrome one? A couple bucks & shipping you can get my stock blackone? Great shape.
Corey

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What bikes come with black ones? I'll try my luck in the classifieds, but a can of spraypaint is pretty darn cheap. I think someone would have to make it worth my while to go through the trouble of shipping.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Not sure if it has already been said, but you can't paint chrome, but you can powdercoat over it. (Which is much better than painting IMHO) Just make sure the surface is free of any grime, dirt, oil, etc.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Teflon-Moly coat from Brownell's (Gunsmithing supplies). Made for firearms (but adaptable for other uses), easy to apply (follow the directions though), self-leveling so it covers goofs and pits, bakes on in your kitchen oven, and must be abrasively blasted off or buffed off with a wire wheel once it cures. I've used it for it's intended purpose with really great results.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Funnily enough I've been looking into this very subject myself. Currently looking at my options for painting, or recovering my end cans. Despite regular cleaning the British winter has taken it's toll and now the chrome is pitted, rusted and generally knackered.
Powder coating seems the most logical way to go, but it's not that cheap. Long term I think I'll just start saving for a OS stainless system.

But in the mean time does anyone here have any temporary, or just down right genius ideas?:D

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I did see somebody do their exhaust with barbecue paint once - looked good at least for a while

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Not sure if it has already been said, but you can't paint chrome, but you can powdercoat over it. (Which is much better than painting IMHO) Just make sure the surface is free of any grime, dirt, oil, etc.
Mr. Painted Chrome Horncover Avatar says otherwise!
<--------------------------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Mr. Painted Chrome Horncover Avatar says otherwise!
<--------------------------------------------------------
I say so too - I ahve had painted over chrome and stainless on my TBird for 5 years with no problems. Its down to surface prep - you have to remove the shine so the paint keys, and not just some of it all of it - you need to do a whole bunch of sanding. AFAIK there is no reason other than the gloss that paint wont stick to chrome (a materials engineer might be able to tell us otherwise), its a mechanical thing - paint needs a rough surface, chrome (normally) isnt rough - you have to make it so on a microscopic level in order to get the paint to stick. The trouble is chrome is hard - so you need to keep at it

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
...paint needs a rough surface, chrome (normally) isnt rough - you have to make it so on a microscopic level in order to get the paint to stick. The trouble is chrome is hard - so you need to keep at it
That is why the etching primer is important too - it preps the chromed surface for taking the paint! It is the most important step in painting over chrome. I have done this with no sanding required, though some folks recommend sanding anyway... :)

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
That is why the etching primer works - it preps the chromed surface for taking the paint! It is the most important step in painting over chrome. I have done this with no sanding required, though some folks recommend sanding anyway... :)
Yup - I was talking about regular spray paints without etching primer. However i would say in my experience EP will still require you de-glaze the surface somewhat first (steel wool will do) - I have seen it fail without - never tried out out of a spray can though.

I do second the recommendation of using etch primer - if a compatible one is available for the paint you wish to use - as it will adhere to the chrome (or any other metal) much better.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup - I was talking about regular spray paints without etching primer. However i would say in my experience EP will still require you de-glaze the surface somewhat first (steel wool will do) - I have seen it fail without - never tried out out of a spray can though.

I do second the recommendation of using etch primer - if a compatible one is available for the paint you wish to use - as it will adhere to the chrome (or any other metal) much better.
Sounds like these three steps will work fine?

1. Scuff the surface with steel wool
2. Spray on self etching primer
3. Spraypaint?

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
From the sounds of it, if you're going to go the "silver" route with your mufflers, maybe it's best to pay the extra and get stainless right from the get-go. The chrome ones just don't seem to last and people end up spending a lot of money powder-coating them (not to mention the downtime for the bike).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts