Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who'd a thought Norton would be rolling with Brembo stoppers and ohlins adjustable suspension out of the box.

http://nortonmotorcycles.com/bikes/Norton Commando 961 Sport/

- Engine type: New engine developed by Norton and F1 engine builders, MCT of Oxfordshire, England. Parallel twin with push-rod valve actuation, dry sump, 3 bearing crank and balancer shaft.
- Displacement: 961cc
- Cooling system: Air
- Valve actuation: Push rod, 2 valves per cylinder
- Bore x stroke: 88mm x 79mm
- Compression ratio: 10.1:1
- Power: 80PS @ 6500RPM
- Torque: 90Nm @ 5200RPM

hope I don't get in trouble for posting another kind of bike in this forum. I want to hear what you all think of this bike.. it sounds pretty mean to me- would like to test-ride it.

Kind of weak from the sound of it but it will definitely give the good'ol Thrux a run for it's money.

the special edition even comes with carbon wheels!!
(but for a price: £15,995)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Beautiful bikes, pretty much the ultimate machine for the retro crowd. Personally, though, I'd rather have a Daytona 675R and $12,000 left over.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want more torque than a 675 has to offer. I rode one recently thinking it's what I wanted but I guess it's not. I'm too big and it's too needy on the rpm side of things. Tge RS really affords me with a tolerable riding position and gobs of torque. Although the one thing that would make my bike perfect is either a 595 or 955 Daytona swap.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Very nice indeed.

Any idea if its an in house type affair like Triumph or are they sourcing engines, frames etc from various suppliers?

The Daytona 675 is nice but way to single minded for road use. The package doesn't really start working until 150kph and you still have four gears left.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Really, the RS (mine in particular) does it for me. I just meant that if I had $24,000 to blow on a toy, I'd get the 675R and keep half of the money rather than buying a 961 Commando. The 961 is arguably better suited to road use than the 675.

The design of the new 961 is largely Kenny Greer's Norton USA machine, but some unspecified changes have been made by Norton Racing, the new owners of the Norton USA patents. The machines are being built in a new factory at Donington Park; AFAIK, that includes frames and engines. The engine is definitely not anyone else's. Like Triumph or any other marque, though, many components are being sourced from outside suppliers: Brembo brakes, Öhlins suspension, etc.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
Very nice but I read a write up road test recently, actually no it was a web video of a road test and all the riders complained about the gearbox being crap.

So beautiful and great start but sounds like they need to sort the g'box as it is currently a box of nails apparently.

That is if you can believe road testers.:p

DaveM:)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I suspect I'm putting my head above the trenches to get shot at, but...

...at what point does retro become expensively irrelevant? Saw a Paul Smart replica Ducati at lights last week, and the rider was obviously in serious discomfort for the pleasure of looking 'cool'. Brembos and Ohlins (can't do umlauts) don't improve the ergos.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
...at what point does retro become expensively irrelevant? Saw a Paul Smart replica Ducati at lights last week, and the rider was obviously in serious discomfort for the pleasure of looking 'cool'. Brembos and Ohlins (can't do umlauts) don't improve the ergos.
You have no idea how brilliant this statement is. i've picked up recently a 2010 Bonneville, mostly because it looked retro. ALSO the price was right, adequate horsepower for my needs, lower cost of maintenance and with the fuel injection and disc brakes on both ends the appropriate nod to modern technology.

...in short I guess some people are willing to pay more for "retro" than I am.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I'm glad to see this. I visited the factory when the project was started here in Portland. I'm also glad to see that the goofball that was going to put in Honda motors didn't make it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm glad to see this. I visited the factory when the project was started here in Portland. I'm also glad to see that the goofball that was going to put in Honda motors didn't make it.
I don't recall a Honda motored Norton project. I remember an RC51 motored Vincent project, and I agree, glad it died a quick death.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
hell.. that bike even has the same wheel measurements as we do on our sprints.

NOW, that's how Retro Should be done- I know it doesn't afford the bike the true retro look but IMHO it is stupid to upgrade only invisible parts for the sake of a look.

I was raised in the school of function before form.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Man you guys are trashing my lil D675 to much, Lol. It has a decent amount of torque for as small as the bike is, I weigh in at 255 and I can still power wheely in 2nd. Although I'm +2 in the rear so that helps a lot. But even before that it had plenty of power to move my fat butt around faster than the sprint did.

It is definitely a single purpose bike though. It is meant to be on the twisties and that's about it. I get a stiff lower back the next day if I ride more than a few hours. And since there is absolutely no storage on the bike there is no quick runs to the store for anything, so it's twisties or no where, or cruise from point a to point b but it better not be hot out or you'll fry. The under tail exhaust doesn't help at all, but it is a ton of fun to ride.

The odd thing here is me and my brother were just talking about getting second bikes for the running around town and picking up stuff. I love love love the new Nortons, but it kind of reminds me of the bike Ducatti has. I'd save half the dough and buy a Bonne and do what Calliway did to his. Looks just as cool if not cooler. But I really like Cals bike.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Man you guys are trashing my lil D675 to much, Lol. It has a decent amount of torque for as small as the bike is, I weigh in at 255 and I can still power wheely in 2nd. Although I'm +2 in the rear so that helps a lot. But even before that it had plenty of power to move my fat butt around faster than the sprint did.

It is definitely a single purpose bike though. It is meant to be on the twisties and that's about it. I get a stiff lower back the next day if I ride more than a few hours. And since there is absolutely no storage on the bike there is no quick runs to the store for anything, so it's twisties or no where, or cruise from point a to point b but it better not be hot out or you'll fry. The under tail exhaust doesn't help at all, but it is a ton of fun to ride.

The odd thing here is me and my brother were just talking about getting second bikes for the running around town and picking up stuff. I love love love the new Nortons, but it kind of reminds me of the bike Ducatti has. I'd save half the dough and buy a Bonne and do what Calliway did to his. Looks just as cool if not cooler. But I really like Cals bike.
Not trashing the D675 at all. I had one for a year or so and did some really great rides including some touring with throw over luggage. I had adjustable bars which made the riding position a little better, but as you say the only time I really got anything out of it was when I found some lonely roads that allowed me to *ahem* explore the rev range a bit more. Even so, a full days ride would take me a week to recover. The Street Triple is much better for utilising the 675 mill everyday.

The Norton looks good on paper and in pictures. Only a test ride will tell if it lives up to the hype. By comparison, a lot could be done to a Thruxton for that amount of coin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts