Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
As they mentioned in ther artical they have been talking about the "new" Commando for a while...The last pics I saw it looked more like a Streetfighter over a cafe racer...

·
Registered
616 Posts
That's the most credible attempt I've seen yet. I wish Garner all the luck in the world. It would be a wonderful thing to have Norton back.

I have to think that they are either going to be very, very expensive -- or some of those goodies like the brakes and shocks will have to be scaled back.

·
Registered
594 Posts
That bike is really cool but I suspect they still have a ton of work to do to get the thing to pass emissions. Believe the prototype had flatslides and no air injection or anything.

·
Registered
298 Posts
$19K? I don't think so!

That bike is a thing of absolute beauty! It's too bad that it'll be expensive if it ever makes it into "production": BTW, $19K is a pipe dream! This is not a large, mass-production operation; one where R&D, tooling and setup costs can be amortized over a large run and efficiencies of scale can be realized. This looks to be a relatively low-volume enterprise, one that evidently emphasizes quality over cost (if the prototypes are indicative of the final product): think more along the lines of the Confederate Motor Co. or Bimota, maybe even the regenerated Indian brand? I would love nothing better than to see this effort succeed and produce a well-developed and reliable $12K modern Norton, but I'm afraid that at this point, it's just not realistic... at least for now. That's my .02.

Cheers!

·
Registered
79 Posts
That link is very old news. MCN(motorcycles new). 1 is released every Wednesday of every week. Last weeks issue. Had this very Norton being test riden. And they interviewed the new Norton owner.

They basicly say. Its going to be better than any retro classic currently on the market. That means better than the Bonne,Thruxton. Better than a Ducati sport or GT. They say by comparison the Duc GT is mellow. There is still alot of engine devlopment needed. As far as i'm aware they are trying to release this bike in time for Spring 09. They also say this bike will be competitively priced as they want it to sell. So i'd expect around the Thruxton price range to Duc gt price.

I will scan MCN artical and post it up for you to read. Tomorrow.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
The original Dreer Norton was to be priced at around $20,000.00. I had one ordered but then it fell through. With a Olins suspension, and development costs for an updated engine design, it's not going to be anywhere near the price of a Thruxton, Ducati 1000 Sport. Sorry that's a pipe dream. It would be impractical to even suggest, especially as the production is limited. You can go to the Norton site and get an idea of the size of the operation. If they sell them as designed and don't down grade the suspension or cheapen the materials utilized then it will be in the $19,000.00 - $20,000.00 range. As soon as they announce the production dates my order will once again go in. $19,000.00 is reasonable considering the production schedule and the limited availability.

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

By James Keen
New bikes
13 March 2009 13:04

In this week's MCN, Phil West rides the new Norton Commando. Here's a selection of pictures of the bike that we didn't have space for in the paper.The new Commando features top notch cycle parts such as brembo brakes, ohlins suspension and light-weight carbon fibre wheels.
The design chief, Simon Skinner, was a key player in the development of the Triumph 675 and Street Triple. The Commando is still in the pre-production stages so a lot of details are yet to be finalised, but Skinner is keen to keep the same general look in the finished version: "We want to retain the sihouette of this prototype because it's a very pretty little bike - butch but pretty."
Check back online soon for the answers to your questions for Norton and their MD Stuart Garner.

"There is no way that with the upgraded suspension, carbon fiber wheels it will be remotely close to the price of either a Ducati Sport or a Thruxton."

By James Keen
New bikes
10 March 2009 09:58

MCN's Phil West is one of just a few people in the world to have ridden the new Norton Commando 961. Play the video to see close-up details, hear the Norton's raw growl and watch action footage of Phil riding the bike on Donington's small test track.
"I've ridden so-called 'aspirational' production bikes which fail to come close to the Norton's mouth-watering style, impressive finish and peerless specification" says West. "After the gleaming black and gold beast is wheeled on to the hard standing, three surprises come in quick succession..."
To read more about what the new Norton Commando 961 is like to ride, tech secrets from designer Simon Skinner and an interview with Norton MD Stuart Garner, pick up the new look MCN, on sale Wednesday March 11.
Plus check back online soon for the answers to your questions for Norton and their MD Stuart Garner.

Video: World first ride on the Norton Commando 961

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K80gXKSZTI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s263FNF8mqY

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I'm with Skull on this - there is absolutely no way that New Norton can make this bike at the Thruxton price. It is going to have to be around £15k - unless our new owner is a philanthropist with generous benefactors masquerading as investors, all of whom want to see every third household owning a new Norton before they die.

Which is why I ordered last month a 'new' Norton sports touring cafe racer from Norvil Motorcyles for slightly more than the cost of a new Thruxton. It will be a Thruxton, just 45 years older, with a one year warrant, short megas, and more.

Delivery? Well before New Norton (sorry to say).

http://norvilmotorcycle.co.uk/bits.htm

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
...that Dreer "Norton."

Let's face it. If it didn't say "Norton" on the tank, it wouldn't command that high a price tag nor this much attention.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
It's not a Dreer Norton, it is in fact a Norton being produced under the Norton license. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If I had my choice between only the Norton and the Triumph Thruxton, it would be the Norton all the way. Anyway, I'm going to keep one Thruxton and the Norton when available. Both bikes are the epitome of British ingenuity and style. They are exceptional examples from both manfactures.

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts