Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I flew into Atlanta to buy a bike from a guy up in Cherry Log, GA. Heck of a nice guy. He drove to the airport to pick me up, and brought me back. That's about an hour each way! When we got there I found an ST in immaculate condition. 2003 with just under 11,000 miles. Some nice custom upgrades.

The PO is a retired bike dealer, so he knows his way around his bikes. He was kind enough to change the oil and filter, clean and lube the chain, and switch out the windscreen for the extra touring one he included in the sale. He even boxes up the extra stuff (stock screen, stock exhaust, stock seat, stock sprocket, and a TuneBoy) and shipped it to my house. As far as I'm concerned, that was a heck of a deal for $3,300.

I left Blue Ridge, GA and immediately lost my way and ended up in Tellico Plains, TN. Can't say as I'm disappointed, though. Fantastic roads winding through mountain farmland. Smooth sweepers under green canopies and brisk twisties that puckered me up.

The Sprint is my third bike. My first two were an '85 Maxim-X and an '86 Kawasaki Voyager XII. The difference was startling! So much fun! Smooth, easy navigation, rock solid, not a hiccup. I found myself controlling my speed more with gears and gravity than with brakes. The Sprint is just so easy to roll into 25 MPH turns at 55 MPH that I hardly noticed myself doing it. Truth be told, though, the first couple of times I did it, I creased my seat as I was VERY tense!

I only got above 60 MPH for about 20 miles of Interstate. Otherwise I took winding back roads. I didn't make fast progress, but I had a great time getting to know my bike in places like Ducktown, Turtletown (where I made one of my wrong turns), Ocoee, and Sewanee.

I had great weather until I hit Cowan, TN. That's when the sky opened and I found out that the Sprint with the new Conti Road Attacks handles pretty well in the rain. But, I was soaked. I thoroughly tested my gear, and under it all I was bone dry. Thankfully I only had about 25 minutes of riding in the rain before I made it to Winchester, TN and my hotel room.

Now, at 8 am I'm looking outside and seeing gloomy gray sky and more than a hint of rain to the west. Guess the honeymoon is over! I have a date on Sunday with the Talimena Scenic Byway before going home. Think today I'll see how much ground I can cover with the Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
379 Posts
You rode right through my backyard on some of my favorite GA & TN roads. I had an '03 Sprint St for several years and they are wonderful all around bikes. Enjoy and ride safe on your trip home.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I left Blue Ridge, GA and immediately lost my way and ended up in Tellico Plains, TN. , and Sewanee.

I have a date on Sunday with the Talimena Scenic Byway before going home.
That's funny, I leave NJ, get lost and end up in Tellico Plains, too! :)

Let me know what you think of Talimena. We missed it on our trip in OK and plan to do it when we return.

Sounds like you got a great deal on the Sprint. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, Silverado! I'd say you were a fair bit more lost than I was! LOL

My trip didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. When I left the weather report for last Sunday was for mostly sunny conditions. By the time I got to Central Arkansas there was rain all around me. I hate to admit it, but I was running late and didn't want to deal with the weather, so I ended up slabbing it home on Sunday. One wet, miserable ride. LOL I had good gear, so I was dry underneath, but it wasn't all that much fun. I regret not riding through Talimena, though. I'm making plans to head back in a few weeks. Hope you get to go, Silverado.

As it turns out, my ride in the mountains on Friday was really my highlight. Saturday was a great day, but my pace was quite a bit faster, riding state highways at about 65 mpg. I did enjoy about 35 miles of the Natchez Trace Parkway. Not really twisty, but very nice scenery and there were practically no cars on the road. Maybe 2 cars or motorcycles per mile? If that! The road was nice, the weather was great, and it was very pretty. It was a nice distraction from hot-footing it down the highway on my way to Arkansas.

I love the Sprint! That thing is not only smooth and stable in the turns, but it tracks like it's on rails when I set a straight course in the 70-80 mph range. I still can't believe how easy it is to ride and how confident I feel on it. My old bikes were pretty squirrely in turns and at high speed, so I was always feeling like I needed to just hold on to the bike. With the Sprint I actually feel like I'm in control. It's a great feeling!

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I did enjoy about 35 miles of the Natchez Trace Parkway. Not really twisty, but very nice scenery and there were practically no cars on the road. Maybe 2 cars or motorcycles per mile? If that! The road was nice, the weather was great, and it was very pretty. It was a nice distraction from hot-footing it down the highway on my way to Arkansas.

I love the Sprint!

BTW, I take back all the bad things I said about the Natchez Trace. We rode it last year in the rain and the stretch we did we ho-hum. This year we rode it south from Nashville for 70 miles or so into MS. It was just as you say, a very nice parkway. An excellent alternative to main roads.

Best wishes with your Sprint!

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Great buy and great ride! Too bad you didn't have time to get lost in the Ozarks. Maybe check out the Ozarks Rat raid for the future. Great place to ride.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely at the top of my list. About a five hour ride to get there. Not too bad!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 13 of 13 Posts