Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've used the search button... and have looked and asked on the forum here and there...

But I'm not able to find the answer I'm after.

I'm currently on a 2013 Thruxton on the stock bars, and am looking for a better option for handlebar, as I'm not very comfortable with the angle on my wrist...

I'm looking at the Norman Hyde M Bar, and would like to know if anyone compared them? or know if they are any different from the stock Thruxton bar?

They look very similar from what image I can find.
A great example of it is in another thread.

They look great, and on some photos, they look like the reach back has a better angel (?) or am i just confused? And they seem to be wider than the stock?

I also looked at the ACE bar, which seems a bit too extreme, as I do enjoy the over all ride position of the my body with Stock bars, apart from my wrist not sitting right.
And clip ons seems even more extreme for me a newbie rider.

Any more info would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Poor wash...no one answered.

While I never had an M bar on the Thruxton I owned (I had an M bar and held it up in mock fashion), I am fairly certain that you'll need longer cables and brake hose.

They are very similar to stock but longer. I think it'd look pretty cool, though.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I've had them on my Bonnevilles and love them, also have a set on my '67 BSA Lightning. Great choice, more aggressive than stock, look good, feel good.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I personally have never ridden a thruxton but I've sat on one and in my opinion the M bars are wider then the stock thruxton bars. The M bars give you more of a choice when flipping them upside down or right side up. This is just my opinion though. Not sure about cable lengths as I have a mag wheel bonne but the stock cables work fine on mine. I'm not sure how much shorter the thruxton cables are.

It appears in buckeyes pics they are all mount in the downward position, you could also flip them so the aren't as an extreme of a forward lean but either way they aren't as much ace bars or clip-ons.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Poor wash...no one answered.

While I never had an M bar on the Thruxton I owned (I had an M bar and held it up in mock fashion), I am fairly certain that you'll need longer cables and brake hose.

They are very similar to stock but longer. I think it'd look pretty cool, though.

hahaha yeah poor me....

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, they are longer by about 2 - 3", and they look like they reach down a bit better.

I love the looks of the bar (and the Bike!) of the black Thruxton BuckeyeBike posted!

I'm going to order them and try it either way, I guess it's not that hard to go back to the stocks if I'm not crazy about the ride position on my wrist. I've read else where that the stock cables will fit, so fingers crossed!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've tried both M Bars and Thruxton bars on my T100.
M Bars

Thruxton Bars

The Thruxtons are several inches narrower. They must be positioned carefully to avoid hitting the tank.
I do like using them with a lift using a pair of 1 inch spaces.
While The M bars are wider, they are very comfortable.
Both bars are a good choice, with the Thruxton bars having
a better finish. The M bars can be adjusted to fit just about anyone.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a quick report back.

Got the M bar in black without plugs, and Rizoma Retros on bar end mirror.
Loving the looks of it now.
Had a quick test ride, feels loads more comfy *imo
will up some photos once i get the chance.
thanks again for the feed back.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you have to extend your cables.
I fiddled with the bike a bit more today.

I'm still using the original cables, the clutch cable is a little tight. But, I've taken off one of the plastic hooks that holds the cable to the frame (the bottle one of the two), to loosen it a bit. (I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do, but it worked.)
Also had to play with the wire bracket under the upper yoke until some cables are freed as well, to give way to the clutch cable.
The Cables to the control housing via the headlight had to be loosen up a bit as well, just to give to left controls more room to move.

The throttle cable is about just right, it is tight, but seems ok.
I like to point my brake and clutch downwards, I had to move the bar until all cables feels like they have enough rooms to move around. Seems fine tho.

Still no photos yet, it has been raining 3 days straight. hopefully photos will explain a bit more once I'm able to take some.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ImageUploadedByMO Free1381783636.884035.jpg

Managed to squeeze in a ride today.
The result was great. Really liking the wrist position.

Regarding the cabling - I had a few people messages about it.

Clutch side:
I had to get rid of one the plastic clips that held onto them to the frame. The bottom one to be exact.

After that, loosen the control cables a bit from the headlight assembly, so this will give more slack to the light controls assembly.

Brake side:
I had to loosen the rubber attachment to the brake hose, and slide the hose upwards, which is attached to the front fork with a thick hex screw. This gave more movement to the brake hose.

As for the throttle cable - had to take off the metal wire that grouped the wires together (don't know what to call it, but it's under the upper yoke assy), to able to loosen more slack.
But ended up refitting it but freeing some cables to fit.

And depending on how your M bar is positioned, you shouldn't need longer cables at all.

I actually took my bike up to the Triumph dealer today to see what they think, as I am just a newbie with a new bike. My dealer checked it out, he said it's all fine if it works as normal, and that the brake side could do with a bit more slack, but he said it's no big issue.

Sorry if I can't explain it that well, I'm. I no mechanic.

But here's the result - first stage
LSL headlight
LSL Light Bracket
Shark Retro Exhaust
NH M Bar
Rizoma Retro Bar end mirrors / bar ends
Flat front gauge panel
K&N Filter (Still deciding if I'll go the air box removal)
Dart Flyscreen
Front and rear indicators removed

More to come after the long dreaded winter.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1381784479.028876.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a 2015/16 Bonnevile T100...am looking at the M bars...I've got the Triumph Thruxton bar end mirrors installed...I'm wondering do I need 1 inch bars with or without plugs if I want to keep using the same bars and will I need to get new cables for brake & throttle etc...?? Thanks in advance for any help i can get as a new rider

1 - 18 of 18 Posts