Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
considering picking up one of these early next year. gathering parts right now and im just wondering if anyone that has one could chime in and let me know how much further back (in inches) the tank goes. looking to buy a 'glass seat and make it fit with this tank. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
You might like to look here at the Slippery Sam tank in the UK section. It is about 3" longer than the stock tank. I shortened my seat to suit.
http://www.tabaker.co.uk/
These guys are significantly cheaper but allow at least 15 weeks delivery. Mine cost £300.00 including Monza cap, plus shipping.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
You might like to look here at the Slippery Sam tank in the UK section. It is about 3" longer than the stock tank. I shortened my seat to suit.
http://www.tabaker.co.uk/
These guys are significantly cheaper but allow at least 15 weeks delivery. Mine cost £300.00 including Monza cap, plus shipping.
Capacity compared to the stock? I like it it looks really good.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've been thinking about one from the tank shop. Capacity is 5.5gal and is around 600 bucks shipped depending on currency exchange rate.
http://www.thetankshop.com/

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have owned and sold several of the Norman Hyde TX alloy tanks. No problems that I'm aware of. Works great with the matching glass seat, or a shortened MAS alloy seat.

/Mike

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
I think the leaky Hyde tank mentioned leaked AFTER it was polished.The issue was that no warning about polishing was given to the owner.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The Norman Hyde tanks are probably made at the tank shop (but I don't know that as a fact)

The NH tank is a Dunstil. The advantage to buying at the tank shop in my view would be the fact that you can get any style you want. The Dunstil style is my least favorite of the early race bike tanks I much prefer a Manx style or a Lyta.

On the downside I've heard the quality is not the best at the tank shop and they tend to be late, some cases really late, (like a guy on this forum a few years back who had to wait almost a year)

Good Luck
Mike

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The quality of the Baker tank is excellent. It is easy to install and uses the rubber 'boots' to anchore the front of the tank just like the stock tank. They quoted me 12 weeks delivery, but it took 18 weeks to arrive. The Baker tank was about £100.00 less than the Tank Shop's tank.

I can recommend the Tank Shop's front fender/mudguard and seat cowl, seen below

·
Registered
427 Posts

It took me alot of extra work and expensive to fit the Hyde Tank, I had leaks, very poor fit and cost an additional $200 to make it fit as I had expected. I have been very please with all other Hyde products, so maybe this was made on a Friday afternoon Lol.

Tank shop, tanks, fenders and other aluminium parts are excellent but Taff Williams does tend to take his time, good qualitity takes time, I have seen the TABaker equipment and to my knowledge are totally independant company and make there own equipment.

All are good products, pays your money, takes your choice

Phil

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Phil,are you sure that isn`t a pic of your stock tank? If I paid good dough for a custom alloy tank,it had better not show up with a flange and needing welding and filler to be "right". Unless,of course,I was after a stock look with more capacity.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Painted and fitted ready for a long ride. I can not remember Hyde's designation for this tank, but it holds about 23 litres which gives around 320klms range

Original fitted - about 160klms range

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
That looks to be the NH Scrambler tank. I've never imported one of those. All of my experience is with the TX tanks.

/Mike

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The Tank Shop is at http://www.thetankshop.com/

Based in Dumfries, Scotland - so you can be assured of engineering excellence.

Looks the business and yes, they have a waiting list, which is a good thing is it not?

Norman Hyde? Never had a problem with their products or after sales service, indeed they have sent me spare parts free of charge.

When I read criticisms of Norman Hyde, I tend to err on their side, on the basis that he knows what he is doing and any problems are easily engineered in - by the owners.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had mine made by the tank shop to my own pattern but be warned! Mine took over 9 months and I was able to pay regular visits, nag, cajole etc. I've known folks from the US wait over 2 years!!!!

I still had to do quite a lot of polishing to get rid of linishing marks and John Williams customer service leaves a huge amount to be desired. I think the problem is, he takes on too much for a one man band, he can't handle disgruntled customers (at one point he actually said "well get someone else to make your f***ing tank then) and he has no idea of what a promise means.

If I were to do the same again I'd go to Terry Baker but he currently doesn't have a Hinckley frame to waork from so you'd need to leave a frame with him.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Great looking bike ya got there!

I had mine made by the tank shop to my own pattern but be warned! Mine took over 9 months and I was able to pay regular visits, nag, cajole etc. I've known folks from the US wait over 2 years!!!!

I still had to do quite a lot of polishing to get rid of linishing marks and John Williams customer service leaves a huge amount to be desired. I think the problem is, he takes on too much for a one man band, he can't handle disgruntled customers (at one point he actually said "well get someone else to make your f***ing tank then) and he has no idea of what a promise means.

If I were to do the same again I'd go to Terry Baker but he currently doesn't have a Hinckley frame to waork from so you'd need to leave a frame with him.
Hi Johnny
Thanks for the info - I've been looking into this myself and the only tank makers I know of right now are the tank shop, ta baker, evan wilcox and the guy at motorne in france. The best value seems to be terry baker so after your advice i think that is my preference when the time comes - i'm waiting for the exchange rate to get even better though!:D
I really like the look of the "Slippery Sam" tank he makes (see robnobrakes' bike) - The one thing you mentioned is that he doesn't have a Hinckley frame to work from - I wonder where the mounting bolts are and I think I read somewhere that it would require a different seat? Is there anyone out there that might have that information?
BTW Love the look of the bike - like a modern Triton! I especially like the headers that sweep back over the case covers - real classic look! Where did you get them?
Where in the N of England are you?
Cheers
Steve

1 - 20 of 65 Posts