Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so there I was on craigslist and my friend from the east coast (I live in SoCal) was searching for classic cars. We typed in Triumph and what do you know.... A 1999 Triumph 955i for $500! click, ohhh, click, ahhhh. Called him up, sure enough, Chauncey was selling a naked Sprint with front end crash damage for $500. I was skeptical, but when we got there it started right up, drove down the block, generally ran great. Only problem is it needs a whole new front end fairing.

So my question is, does anybody have a suggestion of how to turn this salvaged bike into a mean streetfighter style machine? I want to put on a small windscreen and keep my tach and speedo. I will probably go bar end mirrors, maybe make it look like the new Speed Triple.

If there is a build thread or pictures of a customized (wrecked ;) ) bike I would like to see them.

Also, I need a new radiator or repair the old one. I found these guys that repair bent and twisted radiators for fairly cheap ($100):

www.motorcycleradiators.com

Is my radiator aluminum?

Should I do it, or does anybody know where I can purchase a new one for about $250. I would not mind using a different model, and can make custom bracket if necessary.

Thanks, I am happy I found this forum and have alot of research to do here concerning best aftermarket add -ons.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Hi etard, Welcome to the mob. DaveM and I ask all noobs to read through the stickies.
As far as streetfighter conversions I think there are at least two current threads covering this and more in the past. Running a search should keep you busy for a few days.
Though I don't have any knowledge on your rad issue, others here might have some answers. We are blessed with a lot of high brainwave technical geeks here.
Me, I'd probably get a '62 ford pickup radiator, tie wrap it on and call it good to go.

Don

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am actually sitting in a similar position right now minus the rad problems, but I did pay a bit more for it then you did. I just ordered the Acerbis Cyclops Headlight; it wasn't my favorite, but it was the best that I could find for < $100 here is the link so you can see it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260327703445&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=
I also bought these bar end mirrors for $25: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250370645105&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

I should get them in this week and put them on, then I will post some pictures. BTW it is on a Yellow 01 Sprint RS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats jtrouten! I have been away from motorcycles for about 2 years ever since my FZ1 was stolen ( no insurance), but that's another story. :mad: Anyway, I cannot find anything on the market that suits my tastes. The cyclops is cool, but I kinda want to keep my speedo at least, and I don't know about the cheap windscreen that comes on those dirtbike lights. If only someone would buy it and post a pic for me to see...........;)

I am sorely disappointed with the aftermarket options for streetfighter lights, so maybe I will design a mold and create my own. I will keep you posted.

Is there an aftermarket chip, and any power upgrades for this bike? It's bone stock besides a Two-Brothers Titanium exhaust can.

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
I am sorely disappointed with the aftermarket options for streetfighter lights .....
Here's another company that caters to the 'streetfighter' products - they are the same company as WildHair Accessories

Is there an aftermarket chip, and any power upgrades for this bike?
No 'chips' - you can buy two tuning products to customize the mapping; either TuneBoy or Power Commander. They are similarly priced but Tuneboy offers additional features like diagnostics.
Tuneboy allows you write directly to the ECM, while Power Commander modifies the drive signal to the Injectors. With TB you can also change the timing map, as well as fuelling, PC is fuelling only.
Ton of threads on here if you seach on that.

Neither is going to give you huge power increases but you will get better fuelling to match your TBR exhaust and be able to flatten out some of the dips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Decosse,

I knew about Power Commander, but the performance gains aren't worth the price, IMHO. I will have to check on the other. I just thought since it was fuel injected there would be a nice cheap chip to add 5 hp. Seeing as how it's not a speed demon anyway, I will not concern myself with these matters.

I have seen those aftermarket lights on ebay and such, but spending $500 on lights kinda negates the whole Street Fighter purpose: taking a broken bike and fixing it cheaply. If I wanted to spend alot of money I would just make it stock.

As for the damage, it seems to be just the front fairing, bracket, headlight, radiator, brake line, and side fairings/ belly pan. I hope the forks are not bent, is there an easy way to check this?

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Welcome etard:)

Don has already covered the noob stuff and you have good help in DEcosse, as he is very technically able.

When you get around to tyres then I might know something:p

Cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Welcome to the forum etard. Sometimes it pays to be patient and stalk Fleabay for the goodies.

Triumph bits are expensive but come up on you ebay often. It is far more slim pickings here in Oz.

As the guys said - do a search. There have been heaps streetfightered here on the forum with pics. Good luck with it all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts