Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!! This is my first post here!! I have a very exiting problem that I need to youre help on. I am ready to purchase my first bike. I am completely new to riding, as the only experience I have is some dirtbike riding on the "old farm land" I grew up on. I originally wanted a "muscle" bike, as I love the "bully" attitude about them, but none of them really has any style. I was at my local bike shop the other day to look at a VMAX, and there in the corner was this solid black speedy, and I fell in love with it. Now I know the speedy is no muscle bike, I've done my homework, but It seems the 865 motor has about the same hp/torque rating as a stock 1340 Evo HD motor, which is something I can live with, but I have visions of airbox deletes and sceptres running through my head!! Now, Im a big dude: Im 6'-0" and around 320lbs. Is the speedy gonna have enough grunt to tote me around at a decent speed? I'm not a speed freak, and will mostly be riding with other cruisers, but I dont wanna get left behind or feel like I'm on a moped either!! I love the concept of the Rocket III, but in my mind it's looks are too unbalanced, (the big ugly chrome thing on the left side of the tank, one exhaust pipe on the left, two on the right, etc...) And I love the Yamaha Warrior and the Suzuki M109R, but I dont know that I wanna drop $13k on my first bike.... Tell me guys, would I be making a good choice on the speedy??

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Look no further. You have found Nirvana.
I was a newly licensed rider after taking the MSF Course (a must!) in November 2005 and got my Speedmaster by Thanksgiving.

It's a great middleweight cruiser. The wife & I ride 2-up so you'll have no trouble getting around. Don't wait another second, go get that Speedmaster.

Oh yeah, the red ones are the fastest. :cool:
Good luck!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Welcome, buy it, nuff said :lollol: . Seriously, as you have researched, the power/weight ratio makes this a very competitive cruiser. There are several big men and those riding two up that have posted here with positive results (my wife and I push the limit). You don't have to do any changes to make the bike a great ride, but you can do a lot very easily as the motorcycle is easily modified (performance and bling).

Triumph is very good about having demo bikes available and there should be a good mix of left over 06 and new stock to check out. Good deals on used as you found as well.

Get some seat time to make sure she fits you, the bike is the standard for the cruiser class IMHO.

Cheers,
BobW

[ This message was edited by: bobw3592 on 2007-01-10 14:56 ]

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Or you could wait till next year and see what the new 1600 twin cruiser is going to be like. :wink: Rumor has it to be 100 HP and similar in style to the SM. Fuel injected and shaft drive also. Probably gonna be around $12-13k OTD. But if you can't wait, the SM is a heck of a bike. But as you seem to already know, you ain't gonna break no speed records. :-D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not a big guy, but I really love my speedy. It is my first bike after not riding for over 25 years. To me it is one of the best looking bikes in its class. Everywhere that I go...I have people come up and complement on how good the bike looks. If it is the right price...you can't go wrong with the speedy!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool!! Thanks for the info guys!! Any others can feel free to comment!! And as far as the price, the one I want is a 2006 with a lil over 1k miles, for $7300.00!! Heck of a price I think...

[ This message was edited by: NOOBsaibot on 2007-01-10 17:24 ]

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
FYI, I had one of those experiences today where the kid at the gas station was ogling my Speedmaster like a Playboy centerfold covered in whipped cream and cherries. Now, this kid has seen my bike many times. He finally was able to utter, "That's a beautiful bike." We talked about bikes for a while before I sped off. His eyes never left the Speedmaster the whole time.

I think I made a sale. :-D

·
Registered
121 Posts
I did my research also and looked at all the various cruisers and just couldn't see myself on any of them really and then I saw the Speedmaster :hihi:

It gets better. I'm over 6' and about 195lbs so obviously there is no probs with pwr but, and this is fact, when my missus gets on the back our combined wait is about 315lbs and I kid you not, it's like she wasn't even there.

The other thing that makes this bike a beauty has a lot to do with this forum and the other one you'll start reading if you buy a speedie. My reason for saying this is that if you did want to do some of your own mods, just read the posts or ask questions. I knew very little mechanically about my bike 3 months ago and now after asking questions and reading heaps (all of which is made available by members), I have done my own 10k service which saved me heaps and, I've been able to do mods that have made a real difference to the pwr and feel on my bike. My point is, the bike in it's original format is really good, but it's the potential that makes it.

Lastly, the amount of after market accessories that allow you to create your own look and feel is outstanding. Look no further unless as Daz says, you want to wait for the rumoured heavyweight cruiser. Just remember though, what one bike may have the other won't and vica versa.

·
Registered
685 Posts
My Speedy has no trouble keeping up with other cruisers even 2up.

And YES buy it, it'll be the most fun you will ever have.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
What i don't understand is why they gave the 07 speedy the same tank as the america. To me the speedy tank is a big part of the look and a big part of what makes it so attractive to so many onlookers. With the america paint scheme it loses that unique look. Now it almost looks like an america with a black engine. The paint scheme not only from the side, but that stripe down the center which gives a very british look to it. really disappointing to me. Nothing against the america. But it's a very different look, and if you are one of those like me who has an affinity for the speedy's look, now you're out of luck. I don't know what triumph was thinking when they made them look much more alike. I'm hopefull i know the reason tho.....i'm hoping it's because they are reserving that paint scheme for the new big cruiser ! That would make my day. :-D

·
Registered
685 Posts
On 2007-01-10 19:38, dazco wrote:
What i don't understand is why they gave the 07 speedy the same tank as the america. To me the speedy tank is a big part of the look and a big part of what makes it so attractive to so many onlookers. With the america paint scheme it loses that unique look. Now it almost looks like an america with a black engine. The paint scheme not only from the side, but that stripe down the center which gives a very british look to it. really disappointing to me. Nothing against the america. But it's a very different look, and if you are one of those like me who has an affinity for the speedy's look, now you're out of luck. I don't know what triumph was thinking when they made them look much more alike. I'm hopefull i know the reason tho.....i'm hoping it's because they are reserving that paint scheme for the new big cruiser ! That would make my day. :-D
I've already decided, if the big Speedy is real my garage is going to get one..... :razz: :razz: :razz:

·
Registered
27 Posts
The '05 Speedy was my first bike since trail riding 30 years ago on a SL100. For me it was & 6K mi. later still is, the perfect selection. It has plenty of torque & speed for me - I still have the 16T sprocket & weigh 180#. In your case being bigger I would say if you feel comfortable on the frame & don't feel like you dwarf it, buy it, it will provide enough power for you. Mine too was used & 7K, so I figured if I didn't like it I could dump it for a small loss. Now I sometimes think of an addition but never dumping the SM. Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey thanks everybody for the info!!! I cant wait to go get one!! I wish my tax refund would hurry up and get back!! :pkit:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mortal Kombat!!!

The original poster might be the only guy to get that reference...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Definitely a great bike to "learn" on. Am relative newbie myself and am still learning, but bike treating me very well. When you get some confidence and you find yourself counter-steering round bends for the first time, it is a blast!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WYRM74! Im glad someone finally got my play on words there!!! :-D :-D

[ This message was edited by: NOOBsaibot on 2007-01-13 09:16 ]

·
Registered
448 Posts
would I be making a good choice on the speedy??
yes depending on your riding comfort. Might want to sit on an America as well. Either one will be great.

Black Speedy

Erwin :hammer:

[ This message was edited by: ErwinM on 2007-01-13 14:01 ]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts