Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Very nice, Paul. While it may not be a Triumph, the old Commandos are among my personal favorites, and one of these days I'd really like to add a fastback to my stable. Have fun at the show.

·
Registered
411 Posts
l kept thinking that there is too much air under the tank and seat. Then it hit me, where is the oil tank?. A tank that wrapped around the shock would fill the hole and give it substance. Yes l know l'm being picky but its the whole that makes Triumph twins, up to oilinframe , look so right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bad Fun!

So what are you gonna do with that killer? Race her? What did you end up using for a crank, did you go with the offset one or the 360-deg.? Hell of a project, congratulations!

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Where did you hide the oil tank?

·
Super Moderator
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After I "persuaded" the backside of the oiltank to squeeze an 1/8" of additional clearance, it mounted right in behind the right sidecover with no fuss. Left sidecover is mounted now, too, with hand fabricated electrical panel behind it.

The whole story with details is at the link in the first post; it WILL be running in the next day or two...

·
Super Moderator
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tack-welded on a prototype fabrication of an under-tail battery tray to see how it would work; I think I'm going to stay with it. May not be enough room to give more than 2" of rear wheel travel after rider sag is accounted for...

It's just got to work for this weekend, then I believe this battery is going in my Interstate and I should be able to go with a smaller one that'll still crank the e-start. This monster has 300 CCA, I can do okay with 200, and I'll re-orient the carrier to the bottom tubes with the battery upright.

AGMs don't leak electrolyte even when smashed open.

·
Super Moderator
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got a boatload done yesterday:

It's running. Well; started, anyway. I need the proper top section of the throttle cable with proper abutment to go with an aftermarket throttle I've got.

Had to have a custom fabricated rear brake line, because there was no other way to marry the modern master cylinder with the OEM Norton rear caliper. Took a good, slightly used Lockheed type hose and had the threaded end fitting chopped off; took a modern banjo style brake hose and had one end with a long-ish rigid pipe chopped off to weld the Lockheed thread to it. Connected the remaining banjo end to the master cylinder, and the new threaded end accepted the flare fitting on the rear caliper's tube fitting.

Intalled the fuel lines & petcocks, battery cables and a new starter solenoid, overhauled the starter & rear brake caliper, installed the drilled rear disc & partially pumped up the brakes. Installed all the oil & breather lines, oil filter, topped off all the fluids, installed the plugs & plug wires.

I also installed a continuous solid #4 cable from the battery positive to the frame, and from that same point to the engine; so, everything is HEAVILY grounded, allowing the starter's ground path to flow through cable instead of all the smaller ground wires put together.

Pix in a while.

·
Super Moderator
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The rear brake pedal is done, brake is now functioning, including brake light

I couldn't wait any longer for the right-foot-shift parts, borrowed the ones of the rolling project bike I just sold (just for the weekend). I've always loved the spaghetti bowl of the Norton rearset linkage-

It took a while to figure out that the timing was set wrong, as were the carbs; it now starts right up and runs pretty well, still need to figure out why my timing light is going flaky on me, I had it hooked up to my deep-cycle battery that's fully charged.

Anyway, I took the bike out on it's maiden voyage and JUST made it back in my driveway. I definitely need to adjust the rear shock & linkage to give the rear tire more clearance, and need the smaller battery, mounted upright to help with clearance issues.

The only oil leak i can see is very slight weepage from the primary cover that's installed with no gasket or sealer; I'm going to remedy that on Saturday while killing time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
holly crap GPZ... that thing is sick.

I would ride that in a heartbeat.

I have a little hidden place in my soul for cafe' racers (but i think we all do)

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Very nice bike GPZ, perfect balance of old and new. In fact i would say it looks better than the new commandos I've seen in the press releases over the years!
You're selling your bike short saying "no triumph" isn't that a T120 OIF battery carrier in the photo? :)

Webby

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Thats real nice - the colour of the tins really suits it. Thats some beefy front brakes you got there

·
Super Moderator
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanx, matt.

The "tins" are actually all Dreer fiberglass fabrications; I'll be offering them for semi-exclusive resale soon.

The brakes are 298mm Brembo full floaters on a custom Dreer hub, with Nissin calipers.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I used to think nothing could top a late 1960's Bonnie. But, the mid-70's Commandos are lovely.

I think 2010 might bring a 850 norton into my garage :D (here I go again--still havent even got my first Bonnie running!)

You have something there to rival anything from Colorado Norton Works.

Well done!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts