Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry posted this in the wrong bit earlier.....

Hi,
I am trying to restore a 1977 Triumph Silver Jubilee Bonneville T140.
The bike has been standing for some years (as many as 12 years but last ran approx. 6 years ago).
I have cleaned the carbs out, twin Amal 930s, and thereby freed the stuck throttle, the floats operate and the needles are clean.
I have a spark on both of the points, and both spark plugs also spark.
I have drained the old petrol and put fresh in.
However, despite kicking the engine over for over 200 times (no mean feat) it still shows not the slightest inclination
to fire up. It does have compression and ran fine before it was stored.
When I removed the plugs they were dry, does this mean petrol is not getting through to the cylinders?
And if so what should I do?
This was with a (new) flat battery, but I understand it should still start with such anyway.
I tried pouring a small amount of petrol down the plug holes and then tried to start it but still nothing.

I dont know what to try next and would really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
When I removed the plugs they were dry, does this mean petrol is not getting through to the cylinders?

Yes.

pull the fuel line offand make sure fuel is flowing, drain the bowls and make sure the fuel is high enough.

pull the carbs and clean them.

repeat as necessary.

You can shoot some carb clener into the crbs and see if you get a sputter out of her.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I have cleaned the carbs out, twin Amal 930s,

maybe you didn't clean all the passageways

how about the pilot circuit?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Sorry posted this in the wrong bit earlier.....

Hi,
I am trying to restore a 1977 Triumph Silver Jubilee Bonneville T140.
The bike has been standing for some years (as many as 12 years but last ran approx. 6 years ago).
I have cleaned the carbs out, twin Amal 930s, and thereby freed the stuck throttle, the floats operate and the needles are clean.
I have a spark on both of the points, and both spark plugs also spark.
I have drained the old petrol and put fresh in.
However, despite kicking the engine over for over 200 times (no mean feat) it still shows not the slightest inclination
to fire up. It does have compression and ran fine before it was stored.
This was with a (new) flat battery, but I understand it should still start with such anyway.
I tried pouring a small amount of petrol down the plug holes and then tried to start it but still nothing.

I dont know what to try next and would really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks

Rob
Thanks I'll give that a try, Is this how I reply to messages???? Duh.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carbs

I have cleaned the carbs out, twin Amal 930s,

maybe you didn't clean all the passageways

how about the pilot circuit?
Yeah, the carbs were well gummed up with old petrol residue but I thought I cleaned them pretty good, definately got petrol flow through to the float bowls. I'll try new plugs at the weekend then strip the carbs again if that fails.
Thanks for the advice...........

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts