Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's face it. Triumph does a crap job on all of the chrome plate. My scrambler sleeps every night in a very dry garage and most of the chrome plate is rusting. I know enough about plating to know that good 3 step plate on steel will last for a very long time. Copper, nickel and then chrome is the way to go. Cheap chrome is (I'm guessing) probably only chrome directly on steel.

The rims are starting to rust a little, but the mirror stems are bad. I'm fine with the original shape mirror and stem. Has anyone found a decent replacement with stainless stems that fit the threads on our bikes?

I thought I had found stainless at Norman Hyde, but just now realized that what they are selling are only extensions, not the whole stem. I'll bet there are some out there. :confused:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Let's face it. Triumph does a crap job on all of the chrome plate. My scrambler sleeps every night in a very dry garage and most of the chrome plate is rusting. I know enough about plating to know that good 3 step plate on steel will last for a very long time. Copper, nickel and then chrome is the way to go. Cheap chrome is (I'm guessing) probably only chrome directly on steel.

The rims are starting to rust a little, but the mirror stems are bad. I'm fine with the original shape mirror and stem. Has anyone found a decent replacement with stainless stems that fit the threads on our bikes?

I thought I had found stainless at Norman Hyde, but just now realized that what they are selling are only extensions, not the whole stem. I'll bet there are some out there. :confused:
I agree with you 100%. I have rusting parts all over the bike. However, some parts are in great condition. Triumph obviously subs. out many parts but they do not have good control over their vendors. In addition, I will comment that the NH Togas that cost $550 bucks are just flash chromed over raw steel. We should expect better. However, I have to to admit I live 100 yds from the ocean, and that is pretty harsh on finishes. Having owned two 1961 TR6r's I can tell you that the quality of chrome was far better back then.
I have found multiple instances of Triumphs lack of quality control.
This is soooo sad as I love the bike but within the next year i am going to have to spend $ 2000 bucks to keep it in top notch condition.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wonder if it is specific years that are effected? My 2006 bonneville has no rust at all. I do keep it waxed, but still.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
My 2001 has been stored indoors since new. The bike has been ridden in the rain and put away wet. Ridden on salty roads in Canada in NY. 95% of the chrome is perfect and I have more chrome then most. My mirror heads, horn, and front spoke nipples are heavly pitted. Minor pitting on the unseen bottom of the TORS. The front engine plate has some pitting as does some of the case bolts. With the exception of the case bolts, these are all areas that get hammered by sand, salt and water. Look at your fork tubes...pitted painted fork tubes is normal. The case bolt pitting is a recent development..I chalk it up to Florida humidity. Since 2001 the bike has been completely douched in Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Wax twice a year. Once a month after washing the bike, The entire bike is bathed in Turtle Wax Ice Detailer. When I say bathed...I mean completely sprayed. With an electric leaf blower I blow off the excess and wipe down the entire bike. From start to finish it takes a little over an hour. No one can believe this is 2001 bike with over 50k on it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
May not be what your looking for but I believe I saw "black" mirror stems for sale somewhere....

May be an option if you can't find SS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts