Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First-off, I'm a trumpet and Rat newbie so please forgive any initial fluffs or etiquette breaches until I get my footing. Been riding for 30-years, but just purchased a used 2000 Speed Triple. I always wanted one but was attached to my '87-90 VFR (sorry). After getting smashed by a negligent driver (backing out of a front yard parking pad at high speed without looking while on prescription meds) approx 500-feet from my private drive, three surgeries and 14-months of rehab, I finally got my triple much to the chagrin of girlfriend, family and friends. It's in pretty good shape--moderate mileage, corbin seat, aluminum/carbon fiber flyscreen, underseat carbon fiber exhaust, etc. Thought I got a good deal until that first longish ride.

Upon parking, there was the strong smell of gas and then the inevitable little puddle formed beneath the bike. The previous owner
said to be careful not to overfill the tank--his only claimed problem--and I am. But this can't be right. Cold rainy weather in NYC and outdoor parking (and my job, finally back at work) have prevented me from a more careful exam.

Am asking for two things to get me started in sorting this out. First, how common is stuff like this--my presumption is it's not? Duh! And second, can anyone recommend any mechanics, preferably non-dealer, who I can trust with my trumpet....FYI, I live in Brooklyn, NY--hope my accent didn't give me away.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Welcome nbc, First off you have on overflow area at the top of your filler, excess gas flows out via an overflow pipe, there is also a vent hose, are you getting a vacum in the tank ie open the gas filler after a ride and get an air pressure build up. if you do the hoses are on back to front or blocked. check they are clear by blowing thru them then swap them round.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for jumping-in--much appreciated.

Still waiting for a local wrenching recommendation though.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I can't help you with a machanic, but I bet your right side fuel couplings are cracked. Triumph will replace them under recall warranty, even if your warranty is expired. If you let the fuel leak, it can and will stain your frame. Take a look, and good luck. I love my '01.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks much for that bit of info. I googled the recall (#52536) for gas delivery hoses, lines, piping and fittings, and according to what I downloaded the recall was issued in April, 2004--but only seemed to cover the 1997 model year. To see if it might affect my bike, I contacted my nearest dealer (also a Ducati dealership in NYC) and he ran my VIN. Apparently I'm not covered by it. If on the basis of your experience I've been given wrong info by the dealer just to get me in the shop, please let me know. Was your '01 covered?

Should I contact Triumph at 1-678-854-2010 to verify the dealer's response?

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I'd try another dealership if one exists within a reasonable distance. (Where I live, reasonable can mean upto 450 miles away.)

The fuel couplings are notoriously suspect, the number one culprit of any gas leak on the early model S3s. In my bike's case, I had to cast around for a dealership that would replace the fuel connectors long distance. I took off the tank, took out the fuel pump assembly, then sent the whole thing off by UPS to have it worked on. Had a replacement fuel filter included in the work order. The bill came to $57 including shipping. The dealership replaced the plastic couplings with aluminum for no extra charge.

Oh, the advice about keeping the vent and overflow tubes where they belong is important. It's too easy to forget which goes where.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I believe it was an across the board recall on all models with the plastic fuel fittings. My '01 was covered, but when I received the notice, I had already installed the metal ones from rideteamtriumph. Your bike should be included. Contact Triumph USA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts