Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy folks
Ive been reading up here and on the web elsewhere regarding nology v gill coils and while the majority say nology over gill there are some threads swearing by gill and one or two saying nology didnt live up to expectation . I know to a certain extent its all relative but is there a final verdict?

Ive just used up my spare coil thanks to burrenboyo here and there is one original left in situ which will probably go as the other two have now been replaced. Gill Coils all.

So im going to invest in a set just to have rather than get stuck. Im not interested in sticks at this point. The gill coils are 50e each and the nology workout at 62e. Are they worth the extra 12e .If so is there a preferred supplier in blighty/europe or the US for either?

As a side note:
Funny thing on replacing the coil yesterday everything went smooth, tick over reverted back to strong and normal, running is super smooth but the rev counter, while holding tough at and up to 75 mph at under 5000 revs , once i went above that it went bananas, again this morning, the same thing, but it seemed to settle down a bit this pm on the way home? Im presuming its vibration coupled with age. Its a 04 Tsport, not that old but old enough to rattle a bit i guess. It hasn't happened before now. Is it related do you think?
Cheers in advance friends for any feedback
Bill

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I upgraded from Gill coils to Nology coils a while back as an act of good preventive maintenance.
After a couple years (I think) I ran into troubles that I tracked back to my sparkplug wires.
A 3 wire set costing around 130 US, I opted for stick coils.
So, given a choice of A or B, I'll take what's behind door number 3 please.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Yeah, the tachos are a bit notorious for eratic behaviour as they get older, and sure, vibration is probably a factor. They could be fixed, but they were 'sealed for death' from the factory and it's a pita to try and break in and rebuild.

New Gill coils should, supposedly, now be made with improved materials, tho' I went with Nology some years back and they have been good, no problems.

The stick coil mod sounds a good, especially if still using original plug leads which might need changing, and are pricey. If you're confident doing some custom fitting, this is the economical option, and seems reliable so far by reports on here.

For stock leads, aside from a bit of degradation of the insulating rubber (showing up in wet weather) or corrosion at the coil terminal (just clean it off), what happens is the internal plug cap resistor weakens or fails (test using a multimeter) or the 'tang' which holds it on the plug terminal thread breaks off. In fact, the plug cap inside the rubber is just a standard, replaceable, NGK plug cap, tho' I'm b***ered if I can figure out how to fit a new cap into the boot.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for that lads. Yea i was thinking that gill would have updated their coils since back in the day .
Yea irlmike The tacho behaved today and i have no intention of trying to fix it. ill look on it as a 'feature'of this aging beauty. ;) there are a few things needs doing to it so money is a premium.
So nology is kicking it so far.. Any preferred dealer for either?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Got my Nology coils from newlevelmotorsports.com in US, scored a free pass on the Customs/VAT lol.. I just think of it as another Irish lotto :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
Aren't Nology just PVL? That's what I always thought. Wouldn't it be easier to get PVL over there than Nology from the states?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Aren't Nology just PVL? That's what I always thought. Wouldn't it be easier to get PVL over there than Nology from the states?
The Nology coils I installed said PVL right on them:)

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/pv...ph-single-outlet-carb-models-only-15095-p.asp

PVL Ignition Coil Single Outlet Fits Triumph Models:

Replaces Triumph Coils 3 PVL 1290007

New PVL ignition coil to fit Triumph 900 Speedmaster, America, Thunderbird, Thunderbird Sport, Adventurer and Legend. Also fits Hinckley carb' models:
750/900 Trident, 900 Daytona, 750/900 Speed Triple, 900 Sprint, 900 Tiger & Scrambler.

This single outlet coil is produced in Germany by PVL (Manufacturer of Nology Coils) and will also replace Gill ignition coils used on these models.
These are made to accept the original plug leads.

Observe Nology coils and see if you can see this coils pedigree!.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Having moucho problemo logging on to the site.
I had that problem a couple days ago. I had to get the password from that email. I even upgraded my password before that, thinking they didn't send the email. Oh well, now I have these annoying ads playing stupid music.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Bill, fairly sure the ones I sent on to you were PVL.
Having moucho problemo logging on to the site.
Hi burren boyo, they're gill coils, one of them is in the bike now and works a treat , sweet as a nut,the other was causing the bike to have no tick over , didnt even get out of the drive ;) so i just checjed it and it says gill made in england .
i swapped it out and put one of the old ones back in and it worked out. Luck of the draw, one coil was the problem. Im happy with that though, i needed two to get one good one. Its all good.

I had the same problem logging onto the site with password not working , but sorted now..

I was wondering about the pvl's though as i read that piece above on another site. Good to know,

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got my Nology coils from newlevelmotorsports.com in US, scored a free pass on the Customs/VAT lol.. I just think of it as another Irish lotto
That'll do me.. Any op to get one over on the tax man ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So i went ahead and installed the nology coils yesterday.. Defo steadier idle and it feels more responsive but that could be a placebo effect.
However i have a problem i thought would be solved with the new coils and that is a loss of power for a second at a time as if someone is tugging the bike from behind. Its not constent but it hapoens every now and then... Seems to be ok over 80mph...
Very similar to a breather hose problem but its not that . Im hoping its just a sparkplug thang brought about by the dodgy coils although i did an infra red test on the pipes and they are all heating up at relatively the same temp. Middle one slightly higher but thats to be expected.. Dirt in the carbs could be another thought.. Im replacing the plugs this eve and will see if it cures the prob.
When It happened today i gave it a bit of choke to see if it was a fueling thing but it didnt make a differance.
Any suggestions?
Cheers lads

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
So i went ahead and installed the nology coils yesterday.. Defo steadier idle and it feels more responsive but that could be a placebo effect.
However i have a problem i thought would be solved with the new coils and that is a loss of power for a second at a time as if someone is tugging the bike from behind. Its not constent but it hapoens every now and then... Seems to be ok over 80mph...

Any suggestions?
Cheers lads
Have you checked your chain?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
At what throttle, revs and gear is this happening?

Oh, and what airbox set up and jetting have you got?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Any suggestions?
Cheers lads
Have you checked your chain?
Cheers for that ..Yes just replaced the chain as it had a tight spot abd was beginnjng to slap So its not that ....

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At what throttle, revs and gear is this happening?

Oh, and what airbox set up and jetting have you got?
It varies mike, low mid throttle , taking off after a stop and sometimes sitting at between 60 and 70.. Or Climbing to
80, through the gears from 2nd to 6th on occasion, shes fairly steady past 80.
Tore the ass out of it on the way home tonight at one point ,115mph to see if it would burn off any crap on the plugs or in the jets.. She was fine at that speed. On saying that on the way home tonight it only happened once and i throttled through it to 80 mph and she behaved all the way more or less . 40 mile commute. Airbox is stock but i replaced the air filter with a k&n( that was fun)! Stock jetting im presuming . The guy who had it before me didn't do anything to it. Dont know what stock is for this model though, im guessing 38 pilots and 98 mains.. Was thinking i should probably bring the mains up to 115 with the k&n filter. The filter is in it since end of january ... Im going to replace the plugs tomorrow anyway see if it makes a diff..
Btw mike cheers for the heads up re new level motor sports . Ordered the coils last wed arrived yesterday?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Yep, 38/98 is stock jetting. It won't need any jetting change for a K&N filter, but the airbox's seals are vital, as the stock airbox is very restrictive - lot of negative pressure in there.

I used 115 mains when I'd added a second (same size, 38mm) intake hole on the other side of the airbox (and disconnected the rear (left side panel) air chamber. Another guy I know used 120 mains with this set up, tho' he had stock needles, whereas I had Dynojet needles. (And contrary to the typical web borne 'expert' advice, some needles on our bikes absolutely *do* make a significant difference at full throttle.)

There is a slight flat spot on these engines generally around 4.5 to 5.5k rpm. Tho' it would be equally true to say they produce exceptional torque all thru' the rev, just not so much in this brief range.

Have you done any valve clearance checks or know the maintenance history? I'd be tempted to fit new plugs (and go for Iridiums) just in case.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts