Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need/want a modular style helmet, and rather than post a generic "which helmet" request, I've managed to narrow it down to two models. Either would come in basic black.

1) Nolan N102 - around $230 - seems to have reasonable reviews and comes from a reputable manufacturer. Design looks fine and everything seems to work well (from the reviews). I like the drop-down tinted part to the visor.

2) HJC Sy-Max - around $170 discount on ebay - this one appeals because the main shell is fiberglass. The reviews seem favorable and again the "conservative" design appeals to me (I don't want to look like Darth Vader).

Does anyone have experience of either/both?. I'd appreciate any comments you may have.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I bought the Nolan N102 about 3 months ago and although i've only worn it for less then 1000miles, i really like it.

The tinted visor is nice and so is the chin vent/wind blocker.

Looking back i wish i just would have spent my money on a Full -non-modular helmet.

I should mention that this is only my 2nd helmet, my first one being a half/brain bucket.

hth,
steve

·
Registered
719 Posts
When I was in the market for a new helmet I was able to go for a quick ride to see how it preformed. I was interested in the noise factor as well as the fit. I wanted a modular helmet so I could leave my glasses on while putting on my helmet. I bought the Nolan.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Reply for BishRat

Hi BishRat,

To help you decide between these two helments I recco that you go to www.WebBikeWorld.com Choose "helmets" from the left hand list and you will see reviews on both these model helmets under "Flip-up Reviews". After the reviews, you can read feedback from people who already have these models. This may help you decide.

I have found this web site to be very helpful in all subjects regarding motorcycles.

Lastly, go to www.HelmetSunblocker.com Here you will find a simple tinted plastic strip, costing $15.95 plus postage, that can be placed (and easily removed and put on other helments you may own) on the INSIDE of the visor. With a simple slight tilt ot the head, one can block out the sun. I have found it very helpful here in Florida where many roads are directly East-West and you can be riding into the sun for miles (roads are mostly straight here).

Good luck with your choice.

JohnD

·
Registered
783 Posts
I went with the Nolan. I really like it. It is not a quiet helmet, but I haven't found any that are over the years. I wear molded earplugs anyway if I'm going far.
The anti-fog works brilliantly; the chin vent works brilliantly; sun visor saves me having to wear sunnies; great to be able to flip it up at traffic lights on really hot days. Sun visor and chin vent are easily removable for change of weather.
There is the bluetooth provisioning for those so inclined.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hjc

I like my HJC modular. It is not quiet but then nothing really is and that's what earplugs must be for. Mechanisms and all are good and I've worn a year and half or so. Quality overall seems good for the price point.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Living in the UK and buying a new helmet early this year, I was surprised to find out the differences between helmet testing in the Uk versus US. Point being as of last winter no flip front helmets have the SNELL sticker. The issue is the hinge. I looked at flip fronts but opted for Full Face as I always have.
They are revamping the test over here.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still no closer to a decision though :) I managed to confuse myself totally by looking at others like the Schuberth Concept ... and I actually like the Roof Boxer V (thankfully it seems to be unavailable in the US, and it is a little on the expensive side.

The main reason I want a modular is that I wear glasses. Also because of this, I really like the idea of the flip-down sun visor so I don't have to worry about my clip-on sunglasses.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too wear glasses, I wear military issue glasses designed for use with a helmet. http://www.vtarmynavy.com/aviator-sun-glasses.htm They are comfortable and fit under a full faced helmet. As the ares are straight they are easy on and off. They were issue when I was active duty still sold quite widely and they take a beating. As far as the Roof Helemet goes, I tried it on the front chin bar is not as robust as you will find in others in my opinion.

Regards

Navy Chief

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I have the Nolan N102, I like some features and dislike others. I too wear glasses and found out the hard way that the anti-fog feature works great but your regular glasses still fog up rapidly, as mine did coming out my long gravel driveway, making a sharp turn and instant fog up of my glasses. Thought I was going streight when trying to stop but ended up doing a little unexpected Christmas Tree shopping in my hemlock hedge row.

The flip up sun visor is fine but if you have the top vent open and the visor up you get a loud wistle. Also ear plugs are needed for the wind noise passing past the side of the helmet. Other than that I think it is a great helmet.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I had an earlier model N100 Nolan flip front that sacrificed itself and saved my face in a nasty off when a 17 year old kid blew through a stop sign in front of me in 2003. I went out and replaced it with a newer Nolan N100E flip front which I like just as much. They are both not the quietest helmets, but none I've tried are. I think good earplugs are really the only solution there. I wear glasses so I want a flip front. I have since tried on the Nolan N102 and I liked it although I haven't test rode it for noise. I like the flip down sun visor except you can't have it down if the clear visor is up and I don't think it's polarized (should check on that) and I wear prescription polarized sunglasses anyway. I test rode a Schuberth flip front and I really liked their internal flip down sunvisor because you can have the clear visor up on a hot day and still have the sunvisor down. Again, a moot point for me because I wear prescripton sunglasses anyway. The Schuberth was a lot more expensive, significntly heavier and in my opinion exhibited more wind resistance and made my neck work harder. The Schuberth was also extreemly well vented, in fact almost too well vented. If I had any hair on top of my head it felt like it would have been sucked out the top vent on the Schuberth. It felt like someone was constatly tickling the top of my head with a feather. The other thing I've since discovered is that other helmets I've test rode really try and twist my neck around more than my Nolan N100E if I turn my head at speed to check the next lane. I don't like that! I think Nolan makes a very good hemet at a very reasonable price. If Nolan ever puts their sunvisor on their N102 inside the clear visor, so I can have the clear visor open and the sunvisor down, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, ecpecially if their sunvisor was polarized. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
I have an HJC CL-Max (modular, polycarbonate not fiberglass) and a Nolan N102. The HJC is fine, but I like the Nolan better, for the reasons already stated.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My first modular helmet was the HJC CL-Max. I bought my wife a Nolan N100 last year, and I bought myself a Nolan N102 this past Summer. I haven't worn the HJC since I bought the Nolan. I think the Nolan is worth the extra money for its build quality and features. I do think it is a tad noisier than the HJC, but not by much. My only gripe is that I wish Nolan used standard D-Rings instead of that flip latch. Overall, I think the Nolan is the nicest helmet I've owned so far (I was a die-hard Shoei customer for years).

Paul

·
Registered
774 Posts
I love the flip catch on the chin strap of my Nolan! Although I do wish it also had a D-ring on the strap, simply so I could use it to lock it to my bike.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I like the flip latch on my N102 as my arthritic fingers have problems threading the D Rings:)

·
Registered
427 Posts
I love the flip catch on the chin strap of my Nolan! Although I do wish it also had a D-ring on the strap, simply so I could use it to lock it to my bike.
Yep. That's the issue. Most of the casual riders around here leave their helmets sitting loose on top of their bike seat - or hanging from the handlebars. Of course, that helmet is about 15 years old, and all scarred up from being dropped to the pavement numerous times. I'm not about to leave a $200 helmet that way. Nor do I want to carry it with me.

I do have a thin wire cable, looped at both ends, that I can put around the chin bar and attach to a helmet lock. I also have a thin T-Bar that slides through the flip latch and has a hole at the other end for the helmet lock. But both items are something else to carry & fiddle with.

I've never found threading a D-Ring to be very tough, and yes I've got some arthritis too. I'd still take it in a heartbeat over that flip latch.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have the CL-Max as well, and like already stated it is a good helmet for the money. One thing is that I do not like is that it is a huge helmet. It just feels large, even for a larger helmet. I always feel like I am a bobble-head figure when I put it on. But I regularly wear sunglasses under it with not issues, so for somebody that where glasses, it would work just fine.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have had 2 nolans and would not use anything else, I also wear glasses. Well made with metal ratcheting system. Vents work well. Anti-fog insert is a nice extra. The newer series with the sun visor is an added bonus. I like the convenience of the buckle strap system. My only minus is I wish the breath deflector was either larger or removable (so I could exchange with the older n100 which has a larger one). I can still lock my helmet on my helmet locks however I never leave my helmets on the bike so it doesn't matter. Too many punks cut the straps off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts