Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than earplugs (or always wearing a heavy bandana or scarf high around my neck) does anyone know of way to eliminate wind noise from air infiltrating the sides and back of my neck? Does Shoei offer thicker pads for these areas?

·
Registered
58 Posts
do you use a chin curtain, yes shoei sells different thickness cheek pads, but keep in mind that good venting helmets will always be a bit loud.my exo 700(vents great) has the thickest cheek pads i could get but is still noisy , im willing to put up with noise in exchange for not sweating to death.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Other than earplugs does anyone know of way to eliminate wind noise from air infiltrating the sides and back of my neck? Does Shoei offer thicker pads for these areas?
Other than different cheek pads for a custom fit, I don't think Shoei sells modified shell suspension systems.
Have you tried swapping jackets with a riding buddy? Or removing the bike's windscreen?
Any change you can make to air flow will change wind noise and under different speeds and conditions.

According to the Shoei website the X-12 has a total of 15 air vents(5 intake, 10 exhaust). We all know the more air vents, the more noise, but noise is a lot better than passing out from the heat. Another Shoei helmet, the RF-1100 has a total of 7 controllable vents and the RF-1100 is not the quietest helmet, although it does pass a lot of air.

What made you buy the X-twelve anyway?? That helmet is Shoei's racing helmet. And while very safe I don't know how much engineering went into long distance noise suppression.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Angle of attack makes a difference - a racing helmet (X-12) will have a much steeper AOA than a helmet designed for touring so will generate more noise when used in the other application.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts