Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My bike has 2500 miles on it now and I have just noticed a noise on it. Probably always been there!

When the bike is in neutral and ticking over there is a 'noise' (difficult to describe) but when you pull the clutch in, it is quieter. I know that when the clutch is in everything is not spinning around in the box, but should there be a noticeable difference in sound? Does anyone else’s do this?

I know they are not the quietest engines in the world!

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Most likely what you are hearing is the clutch lifter (actuating) rod bearing. The bearing is installed in the clutch pressure plate and is intended to be concentric with all of the clutch detail parts. In addition to the side load induced when the lifter is being operated, accumulation of manufacturing tolerances, and normal wear and tear, will cause slightly unusual forces to be induced into the bearing. Unless it is screeching, or has a metallic grinding noise, it should not be a problem. Whether noticed or not, most bikes have some degree of clutch bearing noise.

There are five mount holes for the pressure plate, therefore it can be installed in five different orientations. One of those five positions will place the bearing in the optimum position for free movement of the lifter rod. The factory does not do this, neither will your service department. But if you happen to try it yourself, you will most likely find that some positions are worse, and one will be best.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's normal.
Stuff is always spinning about in there.
Even with the clutch IN and the bike in neutral.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/transmission.htm
Technically nothing spinning IN gearbox when clutch is disengaged (hence the sound change ) once the machine is warmed up and the oil in the clutch is no longer dragging.If Stuff was still spinning then it would be a little hard to get it into gear while standing still.There is no mechanical connection from the crank to the gearbox input shaft when the clutch is pulled in, only drag through the clutch plates caused by the oil ( wet clutch ) and worse when cold .

·
Registered
359 Posts
Most likely what you are hearing is the clutch lifter (actuating) rod bearing. The bearing is installed in the clutch pressure plate and is intended to be concentric with all of the clutch detail parts. In addition to the side load induced when the lifter is being operated, accumulation of manufacturing tolerances, and normal wear and tear, will cause slightly unusual forces to be induced into the bearing. Unless it is screeching, or has a metallic grinding noise, it should not be a problem. Whether noticed or not, most bikes have some degree of clutch bearing noise.

There are five mount holes for the pressure plate, therefore it can be installed in five different orientations. One of those five positions will place the bearing in the optimum position for free movement of the lifter rod. The factory does not do this, neither will your service department. But if you happen to try it yourself, you will most likely find that some positions are worse, and one will be best.

What you are describing is the opposite to what T A is hearing, his noise is going away when clutch is pulled not getting worse as you have explained. What you said is true but not his scenario.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Technically nothing spinning IN gearbox when clutch is disengaged (hence the sound change ) once the machine is warmed up and the oil in the clutch is no longer dragging.If Stuff was still spinning then it would be a little hard to get it into gear while standing still.There is no mechanical connection from the crank to the gearbox input shaft when the clutch is pulled in, only drag through the clutch plates caused by the oil ( wet clutch ) and worse when cold .
Try this...put the bike up on a stand, start in neutral and watch the rear tire turn slowly. Pull in the clutch, i'll bet it still turns. That's why most bikes clunk a bit going into first from neutral.
And either way, the noise is normal.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Try this...put the bike up on a stand, start in neutral and watch the rear tire turn slowly. Pull in the clutch, i'll bet it still turns. That's why most bikes clunk a bit going into first from neutral.
And either way, the noise is normal.
Thats why little 2 strokes stall when you put them into gear cold without a few revs under your hand.
Now grab it with your hand, no mechanical link, just clutch drag , Yes normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts