Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally Posted by Roden

The alternator drive rotor bolt comes loose causing a distinct rattle at idle, which disappears if you turn on the headlight. Plenty of info here on the fix and its easy.

Cheers,

Roden

:eek:
Think i have the above problem.
just bought my triumph sprint 900 Executive 1998 Plate.
And Of Cause on tick over i have the rattle at idle,
But carnt seem to find the post with the easy fix

Also find the bike very hard to get on to its centre stand so useing the side stand all the time, is there any tricks on geting it on to the centre stand?
Ime a light guy but even my mate finds it hard and lets just say hes got some weight :)
Bike stands on the two feet ok but when trying to lift it up on to stand useing the lift handle it just seems like its a dead weight.

Apart from that the bike is great and rides realy nice.

Thanks In Advance if any one can help.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Roden

The link is great just what i need to sort the noise out hopeing it is that will soon see when i strip it down ;)
Thanks Again.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Mot's fix is by far the best but you may be able to get away with just a new 6mm bolt and washers if your rotor is ok and if you don't have access to a drill press etc.

It just means maybe having to do it again down the track...

Cheers,

Roden

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Just to be sure: this is a noise that goes away when the lights are turned on? I only ask because these motors make a lot of noise when they're running & it's easy to think there's a problem when there isn't if you're not used to them.

As far as the centerstand... Left hand on left bar, right hand on left handle, left foot on ground, right foot on centerstand. Left hand guides, right hand lifts, right foot pushes down. It's more an art than a science, you'll get the hang of it.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I had a good post on here somewhere with a video of what caused the noise on mine. Now if only I could find it...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Goes Away No

Just to be sure: this is a noise that goes away when the lights are turned on? I only ask because these motors make a lot of noise when they're running & it's easy to think there's a problem when there isn't if you're not used to them.

As far as the centerstand... Left hand on left bar, right hand on left handle, left foot on ground, right foot on centerstand. Left hand guides, right hand lifts, right foot pushes down. It's more an art than a science, you'll get the hang of it.

Cheers,
-Kit

Just been a ride out and no the noise dosen't go away with the lights on.
When i place my hand on the side of it i can feel a taping through the case ?

Tried always to get it on the centre stand maybe i should pump some weights :) ime only a little chap all 10 stone of me and 6ft tall :)

Thanks All By The Way For The Info
Maybe Its How It Should Sound ?
First Triumph So I Have No Idea But Boy I Love The Way She Rides

·
Registered
134 Posts
To get it on the center stand you can use the momentum of the bike. Hold bike as described earlier. Push it forwards slightly then bring it backwards; as you bring it backwards push the center stand down onto the ground and lift the bike slightly. The momentum of the bike will help to get it up onto the stand.

Andy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers gfiandy i will give it a go tomorrow.
Haveing problems at the moment with it went to go out today and it was dead.
Battery lost all charge HMMMMM.
Maybe time to strip the alternater down and do the above check i think.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kicking the bike

Two days now in a row ive gone to go out for a ride and battery is dead.
Got it started and went to my local bike shop who tested it said it was fine?
Ok so why is it loosing charge over night.
We will see in the morning if its fine got a day out planed with some of the lads.
Any way he noticed the noise and gess what he said lol.
you need to sort that alternator out me lad :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did he load test the battery?
How old is the battery?
It's probably the battery.
Yes sailfish he Load tested it said it was carrying over the charge ok both on low beam and high.
He also discharged some of its power to weak said it was ok?
Battery was put on the bike as new when i had it 1Month ago.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Sounds like it's time to start looking for a power drain or a short. Are there any electrical accessories on the bike?

For tonight I'd disconnect the battery and reconnect it in the morning just to see if it's still charged in the morning.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes mate just the one that was fited by triumph the digital clock in the dash.
But dont think that could drain a fully charged battery over night.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts