Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've got no problem with loud exhausts on a bike as long as it is a nice crisp fruity sound, a large engine multi cylinder sports bike can sound good with a decent exhaust, also a large engine twin cylinder bike can sound equally as good with a fruity exhaust. I live on the outskirts of a large town and you get a lot of goons riding around on poxy little scooters and 125's with no baffles in the pipe or so called 'sports exhausts' fitted and they sound really rather bad to the point of being offensive. Not to mention the kids in silly modified cars with stupidly sized tailpipes that too make a horrific sound, these lot are the one's that make it bad for everyone else, which is why the dept of transport are installing these new sound detecting thingy's.
After saying all that I was young once and must admit that I thought everything sounded good with no silencers fitted, perhaps I've just turned into a cantankerous old git with age.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What about all the open exhaust Harley's out there? No on seems to give a toss about them - - or maybe the cops are too intimidated to pull them over.

·
Registered
140 Posts
What about all the open exhaust Harley's out there?
Couldn't agree more, and most of them sound bloody awful. It's always the troubled 10% who ruin it for the rest of the community. I ride in the bush a bit and there are always guys out there with full on competition motocross bikes that you can hear 2km away. Feel sorry for the people who have idyllic property backing on to state forest, who spend all weekend listening to motocross racing.
Like cheerfulljerry I also liked loud when I was younger, but like most young people I didn't give a stuff about anybody else.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What about all the open exhaust Harley's out there? No on seems to give a toss about them - - or maybe the cops are too intimidated to pull them over.
Most Harley riders in the UK are aged over 70 with long grey beards and they only come out when the weathers hot, so with the British weather the way it is that's not very often thankfully. I really don't think the old bill over here are to worried about them.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I doubt many cops are intimidated by Harley riders, despite what they think their costumes depict.

I wouldn't mind sound cameras in downtown areas if they were set to catch only the ******** who are loud enough to set off car alarms. It is extremely irritating to have to hold a conversation until that amplified flatulence is over a block away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts