Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of a 2009 T100. Looked under seat. No toolkit. Called the dealer and was told Triumph doesn't provide tool kits on new bikes. Is this right. If so, any suggestions on a pre-assembled kit. Thanks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I took delivery of my T100 about 3 months ago. You are right, no tool kit on the 2009's :(. Well you do get the allen wrench key to remove the seat:notworthy: I don't know what the tool kits included but mayby their theory was since there is no longer a carb'd Bonny they will punt the tools? What color did you get? I have the green/cream and absolutely love the color scheme! Good luck. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I just took delivery of a 2009 T100. Looked under seat. No toolkit. Called the dealer and was told Triumph doesn't provide tool kits on new bikes. Is this right. If so, any suggestions on a pre-assembled kit. Thanks.
Triumph has evolved the Bonneville over the years to where if you're out on the road and need tools, you have a more serious problem than a small, portable tool kit will help with.

·
29,948 Posts
No the new bikes don't come with toolkits. i don't think the bonnies ever did.

To be honest, I have never used any of my OEM bike toolkits because they are so cheap and nasty, and can't think of anything that I could really tackle on the road - except maybe tightening battery connections, removing the tank to slosh the reserve fuel over, adjusting the chain, removing a wheel for a tire repair or change at a shop, adjusting the valves, repainting the frame....:D

Just kiddin'. I like having a few tools available, and will be putting together a toolkit that will fit in the airbox space once I take it out. Mainly because I want to do some long distances next year.

So - that's a bit rambling, but cruz tools have a little kit that will fit in the space under the seat just behind the battery apparently.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sure you have a tool kit!! Allen wrench under the left cover to take of the seat!! Triumph twins and Harleys don't ever break down so don't come with anything you could use to fix them!!!:)

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Hi Guys
the New Bonnie range has NEVER had a toolkit other that the single allen key to remove the seat. There are plenty of aftermarket kits around, quality does vary considerably though.
Phil

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have an emergency tool kit that I put together myself; a pair of small Channellock pliers, an 8" Crescent wrench, one each, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm,combination wrenches, a cheap combination screwdriver with straight and Phillips bits, a set of Metric Allen wrenches in a fold-up set, spark-plug socket w/gapper and a tire pressure gauge; you get the idea. The side benefit of assembling your own tool kit is that you get to choose the level of quality; it's cheaper too.

As for modern machines not needing a tool kit; I think that anything mechanical is subject to problems from time to time, usually when you are far from help, Murphy's law and all that. You're not going to tackle any major work on the road; just patch things up so that you can carry on or limp home. It makes it easier to deal with burned out bulbs, minor adjustments, parts that vibrate loose, etc. (when you maintain the bike, use blue Loctite on all the fasteners)

Carting around a tool kit is a PITA, storage is sometimes a hassle. I modified my Thruxton seat by having it recovered, leaving off the upholstery that is under the cowl, this gives a handy storage space underneath (look for posts by Pepe on this site; that's where I got the idea). IMHO, a tool kit is just cheap insurance.---James.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Cruz Tools Kit

Triumph now offers a Cruztools kit as an accessory--it's Triumph part # A9930215. It's listed on the Triumph website at $59.99. It appears to be the same as the Cruztools EconoKIT M2.

I opted instead to order the Cruztools EconoKIT M1, from Newbonneville. More tools, and Newbonneville offers it at a lower price than what Triumph does for the M2! $49.95. http://newbonneville.com/html/cruztools_tool_kit.html

You can compare the M1 and M2 kits here: http://www.cruztools.com/toolkits 2007.html

It's easily carried in a small Tourmaster tool bag strapped to the frame under the left side of the seat on my T100.

I know these things aren't supposed to break down, but I still feel naked on the road without a tool kit. At the very least, I can check the air pressure in my tires! :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
No kit on my 04. Everything is so complicated, the best thing is a cell phone and towing insurance. It is a PITA that you can't fix anything worse than a burnt bulb yourself along the road. I carry a fix a flat, wrench, pliers, and screwdriver set. So far I have only needed the fix a flat, and then it had been taken off!

·
29,948 Posts
Well, I am currently fabricating a toolbox to go underneath the airbox removal kit supplied by british customs. I am also going to do a little seat trunk thing this winter, so I will be putting together a toolkit to go with my bike - essentially along the same lines as thruxton-texas suggestion. The abillity to adjust the chain, remove the tank and do a few simple things while touring would be OK. Even the ability to remove the wheels - I have done that on trips before, so that you can get a dealer to fix a puncture or whatever a little faster.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My '68 came with a toolkit (combination of British Standard and Whitworth sizes) but they were cheap and ill constructed. I've never used any of them on my bike, and it remains under the seat where Triumph Meriden placed it in August of 1967.

Get some good metric tools for your new Bonnie and take of them :>)

Dick

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I'm trying to think when I actually needed a toolkit as opposed to something breaking that I could fix with my now limited mechanical skills. Uh.... Uh.... I'll have to think about it.:cussing:

·
Registered
229 Posts
tools

I have a really tiny tank bag and carry a leatherman type tool/knife, puck for the side stand, pda/phone/satnav and disc lock.

Anythig more than tightening or adjusting and I'll get recovered and do it at home.

Clive

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Now that I finally have bags (for the bike, that is), I'll probably invest in a portable kit. My thinking is if I have them, I won't need them, and if I don't have them...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
659 Posts
OK, you just put a new winter project on my "to do" list -- pare down the tool roll to something that can both fit the Bonnie and still be of use!

·
Registered
781 Posts
]bsaltrat's thread about the securing of tools in the space created by a NARK got me thinking. Well, worrying slightly in fact - there was nothing actually holding my tools in place and it was perfectly possible that they might rattle out somehow. So I made a wee something to keep them in place.

Materials:
waterproof bag/jacket off-cut; 7" of webbing; adjustable clip fastener, plus; 65/35 polycotton thread. Also the old snorkel bracket for measuring against. (Picture in original thread.)

Cut enough material to easily surround the old snorkel bracket. (Picture in original thread.)

Sew the edges over to form a hem on the inside, note the wider overlap down the one side. (Picture in original thread.)

Having cut the webbing into two lengths (1 X 2", 1 X 5"), feed the 5" length through the adjustable part of a clip fastener and sew the free end over firmly. This will afford grip and prevent the fastener from slipping off. Fit the 2" length of webbing 1" through the other fastener and clip the two fasteners together. Then place the guard over the snorkel bracket so that each end of the straight side is over a bolt hole. Lay the webbing and fasteners on top so that the adjustable end is over the material and the other end is directly over the remaining bolt hole. Pin the adjustable end in place and sew it onto the material and sew the webbing on the other fastener together.

Using the snorkel bracket bolt holes as a template, bradle two holes through the material and another through the webbing. Fit to the old airbox using the existing bolts plus washers.

Very simple - but it works well and, being adjustable, doesn't affect its capacity to hold a load of tools. As before, this is what's in mine...

Left roll - 6-14mm ring & open spanners.
Right roll - tyre lever, plyers, 19mm combi spanner, plug spanner, screw driver set, alan keys, open spanners, 24mm ratchet, insulation tape.

:cool:
============
Check out this thread ... http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/47234-diy-nark-tool-guard-pics.html ...
origianally submitted by Keef over a year ago.
(P.S. Where is Keef? His suggestions were always helpful.)
GREG

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
2007 Bonnie, no tool kit.

2005 Sprint ST - fantastic tool kit in the jockey box. You could do pretty much anything with it outside of re-ringing it. Go figure that the bike with FI that doesnt need plugs changed for 40,000kms has a spark plug socket in the tool kit.......

Sigh.... I miss my Sprint. Who ever bought it traded it in on a 08 so it is sitting at the dealer now but someone has dropped it and one fairing is all messed up and they took the UK tank protector off and put some dumb blue swirly thing on..... broke my heart to see her broken at the dealer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts