Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
’09 T-100 First Ride Report….

Hi Everybody,
Today was the day. After too many hours of rewiring the lighting on my bike and delayed gratification, I took it out for its maiden run in 37 deg. F albeit very fair skies. Everything was new…helmet and jacket…went with a Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 btw and love it. Tried two different Triumph jackets and neither were comfortable. After testing and debugging the wire harness well into last night…took the day off and installed the rear fender this morning with Lucas light and all the lights worked including running lights which are relatively bright…a good thing for safety. Rolled it out, turned the key and the bike fired immediately…after a couple of months of just sitting on the trickle charger. Hardly spun the starter and didn’t even set the fast idle…no need. First impression was…I didn’t change the pipes as the bike is more quiet than my car even though I installed TORS…lol. I expected the TORS to be a bit louder. After letting it warm a bit…blipping the throttle…throttle response is immediate….just perfect…like right now…no hesistation…much more finely calibrated than my Vegas…which begs the question…should I go for the re-map for the TORS. The motor fired dead even on both cylinders to my ear so a very good start. After a couple of minutes off I go. Clutch is light and linear. Riding position is really great on this bike. My first impression is…I fit perfect on the thing and I am not a small guy. As discussed previously I came off of a Victory Vegas and the lightness and handling of this bike is in another world….fantastic. This has to be the easiest motorcycle to ride I have ever ridden. Brakes felt good…no untoward sounds.

I have ridden a couple of carbed Bonnevilles and Xchopper who owns an ’09 50th Anniv. Bonny among many other motorcycles said it best. He has never felt a better EFI or smoother shifting trans. Tall praise and on the money. I completely agree. The driveability of this bike is exceptional. The throttle to engine control is almost like a rheostat on an electric motor. I didn’t get on it too much…btw I don’t believe in sparing the rod in break in to the nth degree…got to make sure the rods get stretched to break in the whole bore :) but no excursions to red line…lots of deliberate varied RPM for adequate top end lubrication. With the TORS I would on occasion get a light back firing…not serious but could hear it at times so the re-map is likely in the offing. I did have to accelerate a bit hard out of a couple of turns however to feel the spirit of the bike and it pulled well however without the violence of my Vegas…much smoother. The thing is you can drive it into the corners so much faster and with confidence…no comparison…about as different a handling experience as one can imagine…both being on two wheels. Last note is…the gearing feels short to me. Had the bike going 70 on about 2-3 occasions and it tachs 3500 at 60 and was trying to grab another gear as is often mentioned…so I will likely change the sprocket in front to knock down the RPM on the open road at a modest loss to low end grunt.

In summary…love the bike. It looks good…is super easy to ride…even the stock seat sans strap is comfortable to my bum…and my weight is neutral on it with the stock riding position. The bike has a gentle spirit but makes nice sound at higher RPM and pulls good enough...well for this year anyway ;) I thought the TORS would be louder but coming off a super loud bike, it is a nice change to ride without ear plugs or staying out of the throttle around cops. For anybody considering a version of the ’09 Bonny or Thruxton...I say life is short and go for it.
Best to my fellow Rats…
George:
Couple of pics before pulling it out of the garage:

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
It took you long enough! I'm glad you saw the light George, thats the important thing. :) Its hard to believe now but it gets better, much much better after you get a few hundred miles on it and really connect with the bike . These babies can turn! Now it seems to me I just think and my Bonny goes where I want it to.

I almost waited for FI, it was a debate I had with myself. I would think FI is an improvement and will eventually be modded further.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Man, that sucker looks good, 'specially with those lights. I had an '07 black and white Bonneville - that color combination just looks classy.
Fine looking motorcycle!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi Everybody,
Today was the day. After too many hours of rewiring the lighting on my bike and delayed gratification, I took it out for its maiden run in 37 deg. F albeit very fair skies. Everything was new…helmet and jacket…went with a Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 btw and love it. Tried two different Triumph jackets and neither were comfortable. After testing and debugging the wire harness well into last night…took the day off and installed the rear fender this morning with Lucas light and all the lights worked including running lights which are relatively bright…a good thing for safety. Rolled it out, turned the key and the bike fired immediately…after a couple of months of just sitting on the trickle charger. Hardly spun the starter and didn’t even set the fast idle…no need. First impression was…I didn’t change the pipes as the bike is more quiet than my car even though I installed TORS…lol. I expected the TORS to be a bit louder. After letting it warm a bit…blipping the throttle…throttle response is immediate….just perfect…like right now…no hesistation…much more finely calibrated than my Vegas…which begs the question…should I go for the re-map for the TORS. The motor fired dead even on both cylinders to my ear so a very good start. After a couple of minutes off I go. Clutch is light and linear. Riding position is really great on this bike. My first impression is…I fit perfect on the thing and I am not a small guy. As discussed previously I came off of a Victory Vegas and the lightness and handling of this bike is in another world….fantastic. This has to be the easiest motorcycle to ride I have ever ridden. Brakes felt good…no untoward sounds.
I have the identical bike in green, and also love going out on experimental rides. I was wondering just how difficult it was to install those aftermarket lights. I would like to do the same setup you have, but I don't trust my electrical abilities very far.

·
30,533 Posts
Nice one George, the bike looks great, you have obviously been having a very fine time with it, good for you. I think you'll have a lot of happy miles on that.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I have the identical bike in green, and also love going out on experimental rides. I was wondering just how difficult it was to install those aftermarket lights. I would like to do the same setup you have, but I don't trust my electrical abilities very far.
If you get the "plug and play" sets, it is a matter of removing a few bolts, unplugging the harness, etc. Way simple! And beautiful too!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Details please! your bike looks great.

Cheers.:icon_drink:

Rob

·
Registered
387 Posts
Great report George. Thanks... It has been a long time for this day to come... I remember the deliberations re HD before you decided on the Bonneville.

I am very pleased the T100 lived up to your expectations...especially since I have a vested interest...as you know I am still awaiting the arrival of the identical bike.

If I ever had any doubts that I ordered the right bike... after reading your ride report and the many posts by Sal and others...I know I did the right thing.

Enjoy the bike George. I am very impressed with your technical know-how and the job you did with those lights. Thanks again for leading the way.

I am also looking forward to a long term report on your TORS once you get a few more rides under your belt...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Excellent report. I don't know if you're a professional writer, but you certainly have the talent.

Stunning bike, btw.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the kind words everbody. I rode it again yesterday in still somewhat artic but dry conditions and the bike runs perfectly and I don't use that word lightly because I am a technically fussy guy. I really can't find anything wrong with it other than it is darn cold to ride :) and I can't see behind me with the lollipop factory mirrors and therefore need a bit of advice. Cal...I know you mounted your Napoleon mirrors inboard but a general question to those that have run Napoleon bar end mirrors having previously had the stock lollipops. Can you see behind yourself better with the bar end mirrors? I find myself too distracted by looking behind me because I really have to move my head to see beyond my shoulders and so the factory mirrors will have to change. Advice would be most appreciated.

As to the tune Cal...a quick and unresolved report on where that stands. I agree with your comments of course. I have heard mixed reviews on the factory TORS reflash for the EFI bikes. Plus, virtually all report excepting Ba that the factory reflash does not allow AI removal. Also, one or two members suggest that throttle response off idle is a bit snatchy with the reflash. The stock map is perfect off idle. Dick loves his Power Commander set up with AI removed. Ba mentioned his dealer has a flash that allows the AI to be removed. Ideally I would like to remove the AI and have good driveability if not a light performance bump so before riding down to the dealer for the reflash, I want to check in with Ba to get his dealer input on removing the AI with a particular flash and see how his bike runs. I will be changing the tune as you suggest Cal...as even though the driveability of my bike is flawless and it pulls relatively well in higher RPM etc, it does pop a bit on decel which means it is likely running a bit lean and I am leaving a bit of hp on the table. No doubt this subject will be further discussed as Ba gets his EFI bike back from his dealer.
Thanks again everybody,
George

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
George
The only reason I say reflash is because the bike will be running lean without it and you know as well as I do air cooled motors hate lean.

Whatever you do in the future with you AI is up to you but until then
the remap will just keep you out of that lean area. They might have an updated TOR map by then that allows for AI removal.

Glad you got to take that beauty out for a ride.

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
George, you might get a little more effectiveness out of the mirrors by aligning them so they are fully perpendicular to the lengthwise axis of the bike, and rotating them so they are extended out as far as practicable. This was enough to make them work for me. As for appearance, they don't bother me.

If you find that they blow back at high speed, PM for a very easy fix. I've posted it a few times, and so have others, so I won't do it now.

The bike looks great!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi George...

I found this discussion of bar end mirrors very informative. I am thinking about getting the Mirrycle mirrors mentioned in post #26 just to try out the bar end mirrors for visibility... a cheap and easy way of finding out. Apparently the Mirrcyles are available through local bicycle shops.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/101481-bar-end-mirrors-anyone-using.html
I have recently installed the Mirrycle bike mirrors, and love them ! I had to to a minor mod with a hacksaw so I could use the supplied bolt, and screw them directly into the internal bar insert on the Bonneville's bar ends. They cover a wide angle view of traffic, so objects appear farther away, but you have unobstructed views behind you at all times. At $17 each you can't go wrong, and they look cool too !

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A lot of creative people here and thanks for all the advice on the mirrors. Balto...did heed your suggestion when I was going through the set up on the bike....your tips are very good tenents for all to maximize rearward viewing...thanks. Also..FYI to others new to these bikes, extensions are also available for the lollipops which of course magnifies their visual...ahem...presence ;)
All said, I believe I am going with the black napoleans. Yes they do stick out a bit on the stock bars...but love the shape, design and value and many on here love them with only a few detractors.
I had my bike out again for a ride today...about 25 miles. The thing that makes me want to change the sprocket one tooth bigger in front is the bike pulls so incredibly well in 5th gear. This bike with flat torque curve will be perfect with 1 tooth bigger in front IMHO.
Best,
George

1 - 20 of 97 Posts