Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of doing the integrated taillight, and noticed that my taillight does not come on when I turn on the bike, but lights up great for the front brakes (not the rear brakes). Any suggestions on where to start? I did check voltage, and I am getting a small amount, possibly the wrong bulbs in the tail?

Background is that I just bought a bike, and it has a salvage title, but seems to run fine, and most everything checks out OK.

Also are the intake tubes to the throttlebody just sandwiched in there between the airbox and throttlebodies? They seem klinda loose while I had the tank off...

·
Super Moderator
8,723 Posts
The intake tubes are held in with a rubber boot where they attach to the airbox. The other end just sticks through the front plastic if you don't have the OEM rocket launcher nozzles.

The rear light is probably two issues. The first is a burned out bulb. The taillight has two filaments, one for running light and the other for brakes. If you have one bulb completely out and the other with the running light out, you have no taillight. It could also be a problem within the wiring or how the bulb is in the socket. I doubt it is a fuse based on your description, but it could be so look there, too.

The second issue, no light with the rear brakes, is related to the switch for the rear brake. It is a plunger attached to the right side rearset. It is pretty loose, and it doesn't feel like it is on too well, but that's just how it is. You adjust it up and down with a plastic nut until it turns the light on when you use the brake but also lets the light turn back off when you release the brake. It's possible you don't even have the switch if your bike had broken rearsets and the person who rebuilt it didn't replace the switch or didn't hook it back up.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted- brake lights with no taillights is an unusual symptom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I owe ya a beer, It was the 5 amp fuse, next to the battery. I figured I should be getting no current at all if the fuse was blown. Thanks for the recommendation. :)
Got the taillight integration/turnsignal removal/emissions simplification/fender elimination all doe as well as my frame sliders installed yesterday as well.

Another issue:

I occasionally get a little drip from the red fitting of the fuel return line to the tank. So I popped it off, got fuel everywhere, and then popped it back on. Next time I started the bike fuel went everywhere as it came loose as the system pressurized. I got it to stay on again, but still have a little drip once in a while. Should I replace the o-ring, or get another fitting altogether?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
65imp,

First off, I wouldn't ride the bike until the fuel leak is fixed because the part could break completely off while riding and make you fall down, go boom!
I'd try to get the dealer to replace them because they were originally a warranty issue. But seeing as the bike has a salvage title they probably won't touch it.

Then I'd go to: http://www.rideteamtriumph.com/tt600.htm and order the metal fittings.

Its an easy fix. Drain as much gas as you can, turn the tank over, and replace the plastic fittings w/ the new ones.Use some teflon tape to make sure the threaded joint doesn't leak.

Put the bike back together andgo riding.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts