Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put the key in, turned it on, saw the neutral light, pulled the clutch, and hit the starter button.

One click, a flicker of lights, then NOTHING... Not a light, not another click... NOTHING. So, I figure I either burned a fuse (the main one) or lost the battery (catastrophic failure).

My TBS was brought home on a trailer... (Oh the shame!!!) :cry

When I get home, I start by checking the battery. 12.5V... Good.
Then I check the fuse... Good.

I turn on the key, and everything works!!! It even cranked right up!!

So what's the normal issue that would cause intermittent NOTHING-ness??? Any ideas???

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
+1 on what Al said. That or maybe an ignition switch connection, but probably not given that you lost all power to everything at the same time.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I'll check both battery cables tomorrow... along with the main fuse circuit, and on up from there. Hopefully I find something definite.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
If you don't find something definite, I'd clean the fusebox with tuner cleaner and throw new fuses in. I've had them be very cantankerous about working when they're on their way out. Look fine, test fine, but don't work so well.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
What AL said...... Or a weak battery.

Voltage has little to do with the load capacity of your battery. If the cables are tight get the battery Load (stress) tested first thing. It's free at most auto parts store and knowing it is OK for sure will save you many headaches later on.

Just do it!

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Well, I've just seen a battery do exactly this, so battery is a definite possible. We could see the battery voltage drop to 4 Volts when the ignition was turned on, so it had to be that. We made sure the meter probes were actually on the battery terminals themselves, not the lugs, to eliminate some issue at the wire lugs.

Swapped in another battery & all ok.

But if the battery tests good here, the fault is elsewhere - an intermittent connection or wire continuity problem in the main ignition switch circuit, or just possibly on the main ground connection side. This includes the ignition switch & main fuse.

Being intermittent, you'll need to tap or jiggle wiring or components to try & get the problem to show itself.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
You might have a dirty or dodgey clutch switch.
Sometimes, my 99 TBS won't crank. Lights and indicators are all normal.
I let the clutch go, squeeze it again, find the spot where the switch makes contact, and she cranks over and starts fine.
Maybe you have the same thing going on.

OOPS...
I just re read the original post. Definitely not what was happening with mine. Sorry about that.

+1 on the loose battery cable.
Then loose ground or connection

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Also check under the first inch or so of insulation on the battery cable itself. It is not unusual to have a connector which looks okay, but to discover green corrosion hidden under the cable insulation when you peel it back. I always apply a sealing spray of Boeshield T9 or Amsoil heavy duty metal protector over the cleaned connectors on all of my batteries to prevent corrosion.
Also not a bad idea to use some dielectric contact grease on your other connectors when you pull them apart and reconnect them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The negative battery cable was a little bit loose... not much, didn't notice it right away... but was able to move the connection by hand. Turning a starter may cause that connection to get a little warm! So I tightened that up real good like. (Added a little battery terminal grease for good measure.)

It was good at the engine... just loose at the battery itself.

Gonna run it a few days on commuter duty and see if it comes up again.

What's the typical life of the battery?? My current battery is at 5 years old. A factory Honda Valkyrie battery is known to run over ten years without issues... AND it looks like it'll fit the TBS... :hmmmmm

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
It depends on the service conditions as much as battery quality as to how long a battery lasts imo. Weak battery is a bad idea on these for various reasons.

Motobatt AGM type is my choice. Good start power & low self discharge rate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts