Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode to work and home yesterday and put another 100 miles on just bouncing around after work what with it being so nice here in Ohio yesterday. I get up to go to work this morning and Tilly is deader than President Lincoln after a night at the theater.

So I cage it to work and when I get home try to fire her up again. Still no go so I do some quick checks and determine the battery to be the likely cause of the problem. I yanked the battery and headed down the street to Advance Auto where my buds hook it up to the battery tester/charger. It showed dead... 0 CCA available at start of charge before testing. I know this meant a while charging so I went and ran a couple other errands and came back. Chris looks at me and smiles, so I asked "I take it the battery is toast." He replied "well, it is now... we blew it up so we're giving you a new one."

Apparently during the charge cycle, it overheated and started melting the case of the battery. OOPS!

So I have a new power brick, but I'm considering shelving it till spring since now it nasy out and nothing nice on the horizon. Just glad I didn't decide to charge it myself and have to pay for the new lead acid sensation. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Got through some battery problems recently, it turned out a bad regulator was the problem - battery was not getting a charge. Might be something to check....
DAVE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Hey Dave...did you happen to check voltages before you replaced the regulator? Reason I ask is that I can commute about three days then have to charge overnight. When I took it in to the Dealer I was told it was probably the wiring harness as they had replaced several under warranty over the past few years. $450 for the harness and another $400 for labor. :mad: A Battery Tender and a permanently wired charging lead was a whole lot cheaper.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top