Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 2006 Triumph Bonneville T100 that's not getting any spark.

The bike started up and idled fine, I rolled out of the parking lot and got on the throttle, bike immediately cut out and refused to restart. Dash lights and signals come up fine when I turn the key, kickstand up, clutch in, doesn't make a difference - no spark. The starter turns over and sounds strong.

Pulled the tank and installed a spare Nology coil and replaced the plugs. My ignition switch is a bit sad, so I borrowed a replacement. Then I thought it might be CDI (I have the Procom unit), so I borrowed an OEM unit from a friend (correct part number for my model) - still no spark. I tried bridging the kickstand sensor. No difference there. All fuses are intact.

What else should I look at before I enlist professional help? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I have a big trip planned for next weekend, but I have an inkling that's not going to happen now.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You might want to check the pick-up coil (or crank position sensor) located under (inside) the alternator cover. Search the forum for specs and testing of this unit. If you're lucky, your local dealer will have one along with the gasket for the alternator cover. I believe the new gap spec is .8mm when you install the replacement. On my '08, the connector was up near the battery buried under the frame. Be persistent in tracing the wire to the connector, pull it apart and check the resistance with an ohm meter.
Good luck and post your findings!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might want to check the pick-up coil (or crank position sensor) located under (inside) the alternator cover. Search the forum for specs and testing of this unit. If you're lucky, your local dealer will have one along with the gasket for the alternator cover. I believe the new gap spec is .8mm when you install the replacement. On my '08, the connector was up near the battery buried under the frame. Be persistent in tracing the wire to the connector, pull it apart and check the resistance with an ohm meter.
Good luck and post your findings!
Appreciate it. I already ordered a replacement and gasket.

Will check resistance on it later today. I believe I'm looking for 600 ohm according to what I've found online. Will post my findings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update — the pick-up coil is definitely shot. Will report back after the replacement is installed. Appreciate the tips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What did you get for a reading? Hot & cold tested?
It measured out infinite. So it's gotta be completely shot, which probably explains why there's no spark at all.

To compare, the stator plug measured out to spec.

·
Super Moderator
2,261 Posts
There have been some that have reported having one of the wires going to the sensor break.They are two small wires that go through the rubber grommet at the back of the cover. They are in a sheath but pretty small.
Just something to consider.
You stated that - "It measured out infinite. So it's gotta be completely shot "

I am making an assumption but I think you mean it is not reading any continuity?
As in an "open".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There have been some that have reported having one of the wires going to the sensor break.They are two small wires that go through the rubber grommet at the back of the cover. They are in a sheath but pretty small.
Just something to consider.
You stated that - "It measured out infinite. So it's gotta be completely shot "

I am making an assumption but I think you mean it is not reading any continuity?
As in an "open".
Wouldn't be surprised if it's the wires that broke. Figure it's better to replace the entire unit than try to solder it back to together before a long trip.

Yes, no continuity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
New pickup coil installed, along with new torx screws and gasket. Gap at 0.8mm. Had to do it on my lunch break. Will assemble the rest of the bike tonight and report back. Fingers crossed it's good to go for my trip tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fired right up with the new pickup coil! Hopefully it's all sorted, because we're about to do 1000km+ over the next four days. Thanks everyone for the insights. Can't believe I got this sorted in time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts