Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 america will not fire right coil, checked and changed coils and wires, no luck. Would like to find out if anyone knows of aftermarket igniter or if 02 and 05 america igniters are the same. Procom said they had one for 05 america.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no spark

Talked to local dealer and was told igniters were frame number specific. If procom unit for 05 will work why not try the best buy?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Talked to local dealer and was told igniters were frame number specific. If procom unit for 05 will work why not try the best buy?
BS. reread my last post. That may be what the dealer is telling you but he is wrong.

Procom should work, if it actually works. Procoms are pretty crappy and are notorious for not working correctly.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I didn't know that Procom made igniters for the 270's, but then I can't keep up with the 360's must less the 270's.

You have settled on the igniter as the problem...I assume you did a lot of testing like changing/swapping the plug wires, coils, plugs...checking for tightness of wires and grounds, etc.

IMHO, the only difference in the 270 igniters for the America and Speedmaster would be possibly a different one for the 790's than used on the 865's. Even then either should work for testing; however, if the igniter has to be replaced, I would want one used on a 790 for a 790 and one used on a 865 for an 865.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sparkless

Is there any chance a malfunction in the TPS can take out 1 coil or will it cause both sides to fail?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Is there any chance a malfunction in the TPS can take out 1 coil or will it cause both sides to fail?
no, TPS only controls ignition advance.

You can unplug it from the wiring harness (not from the carb) and try to start the bike. If the bike is running normally disconnecting the TPS won't affect anything really.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sparkless America

Does anyone know of an aftermarket ignition that will eliminate igniter? After reading different forums it sounds like a lot of people could benefit from it and not have to deal with TRIUMPH or GILL.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Limited choices

I was wondering what kind of ignition the custom bike builders use? Someone should be able to find a poor man's fix for the igniter issues.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I d try and find some one local you can borrow their igniter off just to check before outlaying the money. They sure wont refund on electrical parts.
;)

·
Registered
779 Posts
My 02 america will not fire right coil, checked and changed coils and wires, no luck. Would like to find out if anyone knows of aftermarket igniter or if 02 and 05 america igniters are the same. Procom said they had one for 05 america.
were you able to resolve this?

I am starting to have a intermittant problem with my right side ignition. 3 times now, each after riding for a while and then stopping (engine shut off) it has started up with no spark to the right cylinder. No juice is coming thru the right wire (I checked) checked the connections to the coils, no change. Wait 15 minutes and it fires up just like normal.
I am going to check the resistance on the plugs wire tonight, that would be less painfull to replace than a ignitor box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Up and running

After weeks of searching and e-mailing different companies ( most without getting a reply ) I had to bite the bullet. The pain goes away when the bike is back together and running. 600.00 is still better than another payment. I am still going to look for an alternative ignition... Just in case of another failure.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
After weeks of searching and e-mailing different companies ( most without getting a reply ) I had to bite the bullet. The pain goes away when the bike is back together and running. 600.00 is still better than another payment. I am still going to look for an alternative ignition... Just in case of another failure.
ouch, so you had to buy a new ignitor? I would be screaming bloody murder at the warranty service guy at the dealership until Triumph coughed one up. That part SHOULD NOT fail.

·
Registered
779 Posts
new igniter, that is not happy news.

I checked my coils and wires last night with an ohm meter and all within spec per the manual. So it is winding down to a single suspect pretty fast.

Does anyone know if the igniter remap guys can make repairs or do diagnostics of these units?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
It may be a good time to repeat an old warning: Do not try to check for spark on these motors by removing the plug wire--instead use another plug, attach the plug wire to this plug and ground this plug to the side of the engine. Removing the plug wire and checking for spark like we used to do on 60's model auto's can cause coil or IGNITER failures.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
It may be a good time to repeat an old warning: Do not try to check for spark on these motors by removing the plug wire--instead use another plug, attach the plug wire to this plug and ground this plug to the side of the engine. Removing the plug wire and checking for spark like we used to do on 60's model auto's can cause coil or IGNITER failures.
+1, read this again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts