Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just got caught in a pretty hard rain storm and had my 96 adventurer just stopped. It went from running fine to stalled instantly. I pushed it to the side and covered it a little and got a ride home. I did manage to check the fuse box and the fuses were all ok but there is not a drop of spark getting to any of the plugs or coils.

I have had it in some serious downpours and had problems with missing cylinders but this is beyond that. This is no spark at all. It turns over no problem but just never fires.

Currently my bike is my only form of transportation. Any ideas where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hunter

·
Registered
52 Posts
Back in the day, I used to spray the plug wires/coils with wd-40 or a similar light grade oil that would repel the water.
I'm guessing it's something beyond this, but it is a good place to start. Maybe when it dries out, it might start for you.

Another shot in the dark is that maybe the kick stand kill switch took a dump, and therefore you have no spark at all.
Just to be sure, make sure you didn't bump the engine kill switch by accident.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
It would be unusual for all the plug leads to quit at once with a drenching, more likely a bad misfire 1st at least. Another possibility is maybe the sidestand switch, tho' the clutch/neutral switches can bypass this to enable starting on the stand, so I would have expected it to restart with clutch in. One circuit at least must provide a 'ground' to the Igniter for it to run. However, if you always start it with the stand up, it's just possible this circuit may have been faulty also without you realising?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may just be bad timing ... Finding the part

I think it may just be really bad timing. I went back a couple hours later and it started. I drove it the the 5 miles home and pulled it into the garage. I figured i would let it it idle for a bit to generate some heat and dry it out so i gave it a little gas and got off it to go inside. It stalled and lost all spark again and would not start back up. I pulled the battery and put it on the charger and cleaned some contacts but none looked wet. After that I went inside and did some chores and other things and went back out a couple hours later and put the battery back in. It started right up so i decided again to let it idle. After 10 minutes it died again.... no spark.

At that point I pulled the cover and looked at the pickup coil to see if there was anything obviously wrong or if the gap had gone way out. All looked fine and at this point it was about 11:00 so i decided to call it a night. I put it back together and tried one more time with no luck. I went out this morning and it started right up.

At this point i am going to order a new pickup coil as that is what it sounds like to me but.....

My Adventurer is one of the early ones. On the bike bandit site it says Engine over 5???? or something like that. My engine is below that. Does anyone know if there will be a problem with that part?

Thanks,
Hunter

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
AFAiK the pick up coil is common to all of these triples, should be fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AFAiK the pick up coil is common to all of these triples, should be fine.
Thanks. I called the dealer and asked them to get it here overnight. They said sure as they always seem a little too happy to take my money.

Hopefully i will be back on the road by tomorrow afternoon. I guess it was just a coincidence that the rain came at the same time the pickup coil gave out. Better to have it go 5 miles from home then 50 miles from home though.

Thanks for the help
Hunter

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Everyone

The part came in and I got it installed. I let the bike idle in the driveway until the radiator fan came on and let it run a bit more and it kept running. The new pickup coil seems to have helped the idle a little to and it is less “bumpy”.

I just wanted to say thanks in general because if I didn’t read this board the diagnosis would likely not have been nearly as fast and the fix nearly as painless and cheap (relatively).

Thanks everyone.

Hunter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts