Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The bike is not getting any power from the battery (no indication lights when key is turned, no signal or light power ect...).

The battery has a full charge.

I checked the fuses and they are all in tact (the ones I could find under the seat)

before losing power everything was normal, I turned the key and had a 1 second turnover and the bike cut out, now now power...

any recommendations ?

I think it may have to do with the automatic shutoff switch for the kickstand... I have been starting it in first (with the clutch pulled in and kickstand down). Maybe that would cause some sort of fuse or wire to burn out from constantly doing it?

thanks alot

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2001 Triumph Sprint rs.

I found it more than likely does not have to do with the kickstand sensor.

The bike works now.... but still has the same problem reoccur. All of the power is cut off, it is like the main connector to the battery is lose and now power will come through.

I have checked the connections, and it does not seem it would be that because it is not a flickering on and off. It is a instant no power, then turn the key on and of 10 or so times and wait 10 min and it turns back on.... any ideas??

the guys at the shop said it would "be very expensive to figure it out".... any and all help would be great!

thanks

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Some of your model used to have problems with a short in the connectors from behind the front fairing. I would be pulling the connectors from the cutoff sensors (kill switch, side stand) and work your way back to the ECU.

There are a few more under the seat area too.

Clean them as your go and make sure that they are clean and tight.

It would be costly to have done as it is a process of elimination. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
As has been mentioned, I would be checking all the sensors etc .

One other thing to look at, that is a very common problem on 99-04 Triumphs, is the crimps used in the wiring harnesses. The problem you describe is exactly what I had with my 99ST.

To check the symptoms turn the ignition on and move the bars lock to lock. Also trying wiggling the wiring harness from the left handlebar switch block. If the bike is coming to life and dying, the chances are its one of the crimps in that wiring harness.

Strip away the outer sheath and at around six - ten inches you will start seeing very small "Y" split crimps. Theres a good chance one of them is corroded and hanging on by a strand or two and causing your intermittent problem.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great, now that I think of it the left side control is loose. I am guessing that is what it is. I will take a look at it and get back to you guys. Thanks much for the help. I will keep you posted

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I undid both sides (indicator/horn and ignition) sliced both bundles of wires and inspected them from the switches to the connections up behind the the front lights. connections were good, no stripped or exposed wires...

It is strange... I have no Idea what to do...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Did you find the afore mentioned crimps?

·
Registered
3 Posts
This sounds exactly like my own problem - on a 955 Tiger (2005) - ignition on, no lights, then after a while, the lights come on and the fuel pump primes, but sometimes it's fine - I guess it's just a matter of spending hours checking all the connections and fuses, but I really can't be arsed!

Stuart.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Electrical issues for pre-2002 Sprints types

Forgot about this one.

If you have a pre-2002, an electrical issue could mean your main ground has some corrosion. On these bikes, the main ground is the top alternator bolt. Removing and cleaning the surfaces fix the problem.

As time has gone on Triumph has improved their electrical systems and this is less of an issue starting with 2002.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks Dolson. Sometimes the search function really works!! I've been having the exact same problem with a 2000 Sprint ST after doing my valve adjustment. I've been trying to figure out where the main ground is. I did find a little corrosion on the starter solenoid but didn't seem like enough to cause the complete power cut off. I was really worried I'd fried my ECU as I was trying to start the bike with my charger hooked up. Probably not recommended but I am going crazy not having my bike on the road. I know I pulled on the wire bundle going over the cam cover putting it back on so I guess I better check those connections also. Then I just need to finish my throttle body synch and I'm back on the road. As long as I didn't just jinx myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts