Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

My 2006 Tiger has always suffered from spongy front brakes. No amount of cleaning callipers or bleeding the brakes has ever been a long term cure.

However, I've have now replaced the front master cylinder with one from one of the new 1200 explorer, that I bought on ebay. What a difference! It's now got what I would call a normal "firm" feel at the lever, with no chance of being able to pull the lever back to the bar as I could before.

I put this down to the fact that the Explorer m/c has a 5/8in bore and the original was a 1/2in bore, so it shifts more fluid for a given amount of lever travel.

Even better is that it is an exact fit onto the tiger with no mods required at all. The lever, hand guard, mirror, brake light switch and handlebars all fit perfectly. You do need to use the lever pivot bolt and brake light switch bolt to make it all fit together right.

I may not be able to afford a whole Explorer, but I've got a little bit of one! I wonder what other Explorer bits will fit my bike?

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
Norton Commando 850 1975 Triumph Tiger 955i 2002
2 Posts
Dave,

If you manage to fit the explorer engine in, let me know !! ;)
Hi i'm interested with this mod. My Tiger is from 2002 and have the same spongy response... Does the genuine Tiger lever fit this master cylinder? Or should I buy a 1200 lever? Is there a special year for this 1200 master cylinder or all years will fit? Many thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Interesting. My 2001 Tiger 955i standard brakes are perfect...

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Bought my 955 in 01 and still got the old girl...among the mods over the years...well in actual fact very early on fit Beringer callipers and full floating discs...combine those with a 17” front wheel and been good for the last 16/17 years....master cylinder and lever are stock

1 - 7 of 7 Posts