Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a guy on Ebay selling a 2006 Bonneville or Thruxton (I forget) but he mentions in the ad that this is the "last chance" to get a Triumph that was made in England, as 2006 is the last year they are doing this.

Does he know something I don't, or am I just THAT outta touch? :???:

JOHN

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Sounds like BS to me. They just built a brand new state of the art manufacturing facility. The old one burned down, as you may recall.

I can't imagine that they would move their manufacturing all of a sudden without some serious problems in England.

It's a point of pride for the company, and the nation as a whole. Unlike American Car manufactures. Apparently ChevroFordChrystler have no clue how to build a quality vehicle. And don't get me started on Snarley Furgeson.

[ This message was edited by: crashmasterd on 2006-12-09 22:00 ]

·
Registered
973 Posts
On 2006-12-09 21:58, crashmasterd wrote:
Sounds like BS to me. They just built a brand new state of the art manufacturing facility. The old one burned down, as you may recall.

I can't imagine that they would move their manufacturing all of a sudden without some serious problems in England.

It's a point of pride for the company, and the nation as a whole. Unlike American Car manufactures. Apparently ChevroFordChrystler have no clue how to build a quality vehicle. And don't get me started on Snarley Furgeson.

You are way wrong on that crash. General Motors is #2 on the JD Powers overall quality build ratings, tied with Honda and closing the gap Fast on Toyota. They just uped the warranty on all GM cars to 5 years, 100,000 miles, because they can. I would put the build quality of Gm up against any car made. 1991 buick Riviera, 375,000 miles, no problems. 2000 Chevy van, 125,000 miles, no problems. 03 Saturn Ion, 65,000, had a control arm bushing replaced for free, after the warranty expired, no problems since. Gets 38 mpg, 3 more than advertised. :-D

·
Registered
397 Posts
I remember reading recently that over half of Trumpys made from 07 on would be assembled in Thailand.

I could be wrong [again] but I thought they were manufacturing in UK and assembling in Thailand.

These bikes were for the Asia pacific market I think. I suppose that would include OZ.

AA

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Warning: Rant

On 2006-12-10 00:27, itchin wrote:
You are way wrong on that crash. General Motors is #2 on the JD Powers overall quality build ratings, tied with Honda and closing the gap Fast on Toyota. They just uped the warranty on all GM cars to 5 years, 100,000 miles, because they can. I would put the build quality of Gm up against any car made. 1991 buick Riviera, 375,000 miles, no problems. 2000 Chevy van, 125,000 miles, no problems. 03 Saturn Ion, 65,000, had a control arm bushing replaced for free, after the warranty expired, no problems since. Gets 38 mpg, 3 more than advertised. :-D
That's an interesting opinion.

I can't say about JD Powers and associates data, and I could care less. They send their polls to people like you, who will love GM products come heII or high water. GM has a cult following second only to Harley Davidson.

Personally, I've been a mechanic and worked on a lot of GM vehicles. You couldn't give me one of those pieces of garbage. (And therefore will never fill out one of those polls) Fords are better but not much. Daimler-Chrysler is probably in the best position right now due to the influence of their German affiliates, but still not anything I would buy.

Why are the big three American manufactures all on the verge of bankruptcy? With GM at the top of the list? Answer that.

It's not that we can't build quality cars in America, note that many Hondas and Toyotas are built right here. The problem is deeper. For instance, that 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty you mentioned: Why is GM almost the last manufacture to jump on that band wagon? Hint: it's not because "they can", but because the "have to" to keep up with the Joneses.

I'm glad you're happy with your GM cars. That doesn't make them quality vehicles.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. I'm sorry you took offense to it.

End rant.

·
Registered
321 Posts
On 2006-12-10 00:41, amberale wrote:
I remember reading recently that over half of Trumpys made from 07 on would be assembled in Thailand.

I could be wrong [again] but I thought they were manufacturing in UK and assembling in Thailand.

These bikes were for the Asia pacific market I think. I suppose that would include OZ.

AA
The frames for the Thruxtons are manufatured in Thailand. Allong with some other parts. Which I forgot. Was a piece on it in a torque some time ago I think.

But the assembly stays in the UK.

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Rumour Control has stated that ALL production of the twins will eventually be moved to Thailand, the triples will remain in the UK. There`s also a new 1500cc twin cruiser to be launched mid 2007 which will be made entirely in Thailand. Remember, you heard it from Welshrob first!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Looking at some of the riding gear on the T100 it is no surprise that they will be made in the Far East! Triumph have so cheapened the marque through poorly constructed (and designed) pillion rests, engine covers, and a rear light/indicator fitting that it more Chinese than Zongschen! I think these fittings (plus others), do little to draw me to buying one against that of owning an original 60s Bonnie. In fact I think I'd prefer the OHV engine, Amal carbs and primary chain case oil leaks over all the so-called improvements that the new Bonnie supposedly brings to the market. poor show Triumph. Manufacture a truly british built motorcycle that honours the design of the original Turner design, in the same way that the new Daytona 675 has wiped the floor with the current Jap 600s!

·
Registered
489 Posts
:ppcn: :ppcn: :ppcn: :ppcn: :ppcn: :ppcn: :ppcn: :ppcn: :ppcn:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh man...not again.

Why do my topics always seem to start an arguement?

They start off soooo innocent and then :2guns:

I'm still trying to figure out how a Triumph / England thread turns into a GM vs. Toyota & Honda thread... :roll:

Play nice boys... :)

JOHN

·
Registered
700 Posts
On 2006-12-10 07:07, welshrob wrote:
Rumour Control has stated that ALL production of the twins will eventually be moved to Thailand, the triples will remain in the UK. There`s also a new 1500cc twin cruiser to be launched mid 2007 which will be made entirely in Thailand. Remember, you heard it from Welshrob first!
1500cc twin? Where did you hear about that? I heard the Thai plant was going to make bikes only for the eaastern market too, but I don't know if I believe it. I don't want a bike made in Thailand. Nothing against Thailand or any one from there, but no. If Triumph wants me to believe it's a brit bike then it needs to stay in England. I already make fun of my dad, because all of his Harley accessories say "made in China" on the back.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
It's a fact of life and the globalised world economy that for a company to remain profitable, that certain aspects of its manufacturing must be centred in the Far East. Sadly, the immense growth in the Chinese economy & world domination in manufacturing does not address the serious issues of human rights abuses in China or the sweat shop production lines that many Far Eastern Countries employ...

The BBC reported yesterday that UK-based retailers were using Far East companies to manufacture their clothing lines, while possibly knowing that the labour practices were suspect.

By locating their manufacturing of frames and ancillary components in the far east will enable Triumph to remain profitable. But is this entirely acceptable?

Are we as Triumph consumers willing to pay more for our motorcycles BECAUSE they are built in Hinckley -- thereby paying the higher British labour costs? Or are wanting to have ever lower prices, and conveniently forget the labour issues?

There are of course other issues. The manufacturing of ancillary parts such as Electrical items - rear light fittings etc. On the new Bonnie they obviously come from the Far East, as I guess does the poor quality stainless steel pipes and chroming!

Yes, for the present, the Bonnie may be assembled in UK, but is truly a British Made Motorcycle? In one regard Yes, but in many others (part by part) No!

What would be the premium we would have to pay if we demanded British made motorcycles, utilizing British sourced manufactured parts? Would Triumph remain profitable, and would it ultimately remain in business. These are obviously questions that John Bloor has asked himself often... and after all, without his enormous financial capital input and high business risk, there would
BE NO Triumph! The sad reality id that Britain is no longer a manufacturing nation -- at least in the automotive industry!

So, are we prepared to pay more? What say thee?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
the bottom line is, it doesn't matter where your car or bike is built, it's how it's designed.
ford for years had tranny troubles. i had a friend whom owned a fleet of 10 of them for his business. they were just an inferior product.

like toyota trucks, they have designed their product well. it's how the parts work and work together, not how they are bolted together.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
<<Is that why they have stopped putting the Union Jack on the Speedtriple>>

At a guess I'd say yes! The British Trades Descriptions Act must regulate the percentage amount by which the 'made in...' applies??

As an aside, I had a Triumph triangular patent badge made up for my S3 Grabe Rail, with the famous 'Made in Great Britain" marque.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts